Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Perfect Program

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭chadmustang

Just trying to get stronger at the moment while the weather is awful and there's nothing else to think about. I've been doing this for the past 3 weeks and I like the way it's going.

I do a load of hip and shoulder stretching (no foam roller available I'm afraid)

Day One:
    ME kinda Squat and Deadlift
    45 degree back raises
    Planks or Leg raises
    basic 5/3/1-esque approach

Day Two:
    5x5 Front Squats
    Upper Body:
    Then usually 2 Pushes and 2 Pulls (one horizontal one vertical)

Day Three: School Time
    Training with an old time weightlifter
    Basically tons of reps on Cleans, Power Cleans, Jerks from the rack and trying to get my shoulders flexible enough to Overhead Squat.

And if I make it up more days, I do more Front Squats/Chins/Dips/Overhead Pressing/Gunz.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ilovelamp2000

Hanley wrote: »
    WARM UP/MOBILITY

The warm up should focus on hip and shoulder mobility and be dynamic in nature as they seem to be the areas most people have trouble with. I'd do some form of upper and lower body foam rolling prior to this. So say that's 10 minutes of work...

Roll - IT Band, quads, calves, lats, upper back, work thoracic extension on the roller
    Mobility - over and under hurdle drills, front to back and side to side, maybe some glute activation stuff too

Are there any online video guides to these things ?

I've become ridiculously prone to injury and I'm certain it's because of the minimal warm up I'm being advised to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 kev.f

This tread is a good idea. I am sorry but I am new to this. (first post)

Where to start? I will lay done my training week and then explain

Monday – yet to be decided

Tuesday – taekwondo.

Wednesday – yet to be decided

Thursday - taekwondo

Friday – yet to be decided

Saturday + Sunday - rest

Who likes it? J

I think the fact you are looking for the perfect program is a mistake. If you continuously do the same workout your body will get used to it and you will not see improvements. You need to continuously shock your body. For example one day you could go for a long swim, the next you could lift weights (I don’t agree with weight training but that is another discussion), the next you could do tennis or do body weight training or football or go for a hike or go to the gym. The possibilities are endless.

See the way I put the gym last. The fact is (for me at least) that if you go to the gym you will do the same thing over and over again. You will lift weights like this and run like this and row like this. I used to do it aswell but found that when I stopped going to the gym and took up alternative forms of exercise I saw massive improvements.

I see a lot of people are looking for a 20 min cure. Why is that? People get board of the gym. Its that simple. If you and I know I keep coming back to this, keep changing what you are doing then it is easer to stay motivated and you won’t feel the hours roll by.

So what exactly am I suggesting? I will lay down some of the stuff that does pop up in my ‘yet to be decided’ days.

HIIT – high intensity interval training – can be applied to most forms of exercise. I find it brilliant. It significant increases in VO2 max and you’reMetabolism. You will benefit from the after-burn. This means you burn up to 9 times more fat even when you are not moving as well as many other benefits. As well as that if for example you do a lot of running you could go for a long slow run one day do a HIIT run the next.

Explains exactly what HIIT is - http://www.naturalphysiques.com/faq/525.html
    Ten reasons to take up HIIT - http://hiitprofessor.com/blog/why-hiit-interval-training/top-ten-reasons/

Deck of cards workout – get a deck of card. Set each suit a exercise (push ups, ups sit ups, squats. Anything you want) whatever value is on the card you do. You can leave the jokers in if you want and set them a value of 50. enjoy J. I do this about 2-3 times a week and is different every time.

For those that like to bench there own weight in the gym (really hate that) try this. Get into a handstand position and do push ups (you can use the wall to help). You are lifting the same weight but this way you have far greater control over your body.

I would recommend that everyone starts a marshal art. I believe that there is a marshal art for everyone. they are great fun, you learn to defend yourself properly and if you keep it on you will go to competitions and bring home medals J

I have properly rattled on long enough and I know I will properly come under heavy fire from the gym enthusiast but I hope this will help get to your ‘perfect program’. any comments are welcomed.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭dantes87

WOW..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

I stopped reading after ..(I don’t agree with weight training but that is another discussion)..Do we find out what happens at the end of Lost?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭danlen

kev.f wrote: »
    I don’t agree with weight training but that is another discussion

WTF??

I don't think (I hope) that is another discussion. It's a ludicrous statement. How could you possibly even have anything to back you up if such a discussion did arise? No offence, but you are either: a) misinformed, or b) making irresponsible comments without any knowledge of the area you are talking about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Maybe he prefers methods which involve no equipment.

Why the aggression?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭themandan6611

[FONT= any comments are welcomed.[/FONT]

yeah ur a tool :D

Mod edit: infracted.

We're not looking for the perfect program so to speak.. Just looking for templates that will fit most of the gym going general public who want to look good nekkid (and gain a bit of strength while they're at it!!).

PS can we have the "Against Weights" discussion please?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

PS can we have the "Against Weights" discussion please?

Must.not.feed.troll! :pac:

Please.... feed me! This will be amazin!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭newby.204

there are NO words............

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭SpookyBastard

I think the fact you are looking for the perfect program is a mistake. If you continuously do the same workout your body will get used to it and you will not see improvements. You need to continuously shock your body. For example one day you could go for a long swim, the next you could lift weights (I don’t agree with weight training but that is another discussion), the next you could do tennis or do body weight training or football or go for a hike or go to the gym. The possibilities are endless.

See the way I put the gym last. The fact is (for me at least) that if you go to the gym you will do the same thing over and over again. You will lift weights like this and run like this and row like this. I used to do it as well but found that when I stopped going to the gym and took up alternative forms of exercise I saw massive improvements.

I see a lot of people are looking for a 20 min cure. Why is that? People get board of the gym. Its that simple. If you and I know I keep coming back to this, keep changing what you are doing then it is easer to stay motivated and you won’t feel the hours roll by.

For those that like to bench there own weight in the gym (really hate that) try this. Get into a handstand position and do push ups (you can use the wall to help). You are lifting the same weight but this way you have far greater control over your body.

I would recommend that everyone starts a marshal art. I believe that there is a marshal art for everyone. they are great fun, you learn to defend yourself properly and if you keep it on you will go to competitions and bring home medals

I really don't know how to start here but I just wanted to make a couple of points. I come at this, incidentally, as a martial artist of a few years experience (started about 16 years ago) so I'm not wading in with my anything-other-than-the-gym-is-rubbish boots on. I get where you're coming from about forms of exercise other than the gym but really don't see how you can argue that gym exercise is lesser (successfully argue anyway).

Firstly, most of use are aware of changing things up to stop us stagnating. However, I do this in the gym all the time. How does going to the gym mean doing the same thing all the time? There are lots of different exercises. Would you say that playing football was just the same thing every time? Or HIIT? Or Swimming? If i swim once a week.. on one of my 'yet to be decided' days then how come its not just doing the same thing over and over? Or are you suggesting we only do swimming a couple of times and then not again as we want to be in a state of shock so need to change sports/activities regularly?

You say 'the fact is' (for you at least)... this is not a fact then, it is an opinion and a poorly formed one I'm afraid. Don't get me wrong, if you find the gym boring and find you stagnate then that's how you find it but there is a wealth of options in most gyms when it comes to exercises and you really can have a varied exercising program where the gym plays a crucial role.

You say that if you keep changing what you are doing then it is easier to stay motivated... this might be true for some. Isn't it really a question of degree though? Some get bored easily, others don't. I personally have spent god knows how many hours at a Makiwara working on a very basic punch. Haven't gotten bored yet. It really isn't as 'simple' as people get 'bored of the gym'. I really should be bored of bench, squats and deadlifts by now then? I've found that a good strength training program has improved my martial arts work. It is not a fact, just my opinion, but I think many martial artists could benefit from more weight training, not less.

Possibly lots of people are looking for a 20 min cure for the same reasons they want everything from faster trains, remote controls to kata videos on youtube: Some of us are lazy and want a quick fix, Some of us have less time and want a time efficient solution... remember just because something is easier or faster does not necessarily make it wrong... why do people always try and learn martial arts from an instructor or perfect kata using modern video breakdowns when surely you should go back to the original written instructions (in their original language of course)...

Which brings us to the tough one, you say you're against weight training. I don't think its a separate discussion as it's influencing your entire view of training and fitness. Is it just non body weight stuff you have a problem with (as you are ok with push ups etc). I'd really like to know why.

As a side note, I don't train to bring home medals but if that's a positive element of studying a martial art then why are medals for weight lifting not as valid?

d'Oracle wrote: »
    Maybe he prefers methods which involve no equipment.

Why the aggression?

tbh I don't see the aggression in the reply. I have no problem if he prefers traning with no equipment, but saying he doesn't believe in weight training insinuates there is something wrong with it. This, all in the face of scientific studies clearly showing that not only does weight training have a beneficial effect on athletic performance, but also on the health of the general public (e.g. bone density). So how can one put up a post that gives people advice on training and state that you dont believe in weight training? I'll stick by what I said earlier, irresponsible.

danlen wrote: »
    tbh I don't see the aggression in the reply. I have no problem if he prefers traning with no equipment, but saying he doesn't believe in weight training insinuates there is something wrong with it.

No. He said he doesn't agree with it.
    And I see tonnes of aggression, you could just say you don't agree, but you started calling him irresponsible and misinformed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭d-gal

Good thread

I suppose it all depends on the person really. Any program that has some format of strength and some format of conditioning always works well.

Warm up - mobility work is the main thing. I don't like foam rolling beforehand, I prefer doing it outside your sessions and really focusing on the points your having problems with.

The one thing that always gets to me is people taking too long between sets. I don't have a problem if your only goal is strength but if it is too look better then increase the intensity

The best 'bodybuilding' program is a Dorian Yates style program IMO. 1-2 warm up sets and a balls to the walls set, rest 1 minute and onto your next exercise. Nothing more annoying than a guy doing a BB style program and resting 5minutes between sets, just does not work for me at all. Our doing 15sets for a small muscle group when all it needs is 2-3 proper working sets

For powerlifting you cannot go wrong with simple stuff like 5x5. I think 5,3,1 is terrible and ends up decreasing your strength. I think a smolov style program is a bit mad, anyone I have tried it on has not had a good year.

In a ideal world overall a good 4 day S&C program you cannot go wrong with. Works wonders for people wanting to look and feel better and does not leave any weak bodyparts. Hit the legs harder as they can take the beating and make sure the intensity is there. I quite like IP's iprograms, they are simply put yet very professional and the conditioning is exactly what it should be, pushing yourself beyond your limits. I don't like the isolated core work involved in the middle of the strength workout but that's just me, it works for some and not for others. It is still very well set out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

google warriors

Thats brilliant! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭dartstothesea

Tonnes of aggression just got laughably tame.

No. He said he doesn't agree with it.
    And I see tonnes of aggression, you could just say you don't agree, but you started calling him irresponsible and misinformed.

Sorry if it is coming across as aggresive, as I mentioned in my first post there is no offence meant. However, just to explain what I meant as you seem quite annoyed at what I said:

1. He stated that he doesn't believe in weight training. If one doesn't believe in something then one doesn't believe it is correct, no? All I was saying is that if he does not believe in the benefits of weight training then he is misinformed. I don't understand why you said I was being aggresive because I stated someone was misinformed.

2. I used the term irresponsible as, imo, for someone to come onto a fitness forum stating all their experience of training and then come out with a statement like "i don't believe in weight training" without proceeding to explain why, is quite an irresponsible thing to do. People may not agree with that but I never claimed it was representative of anyone else but me.

Peace to all..

People can get in better shape with callisthenics.

I don't believe in Gambling, but I don't believe that it isn't correct.
    What the hell is correct anyway?

There is nothing irresponsible about saying you don't believe in something without explaining it.
    If he had said "Weight training will make your spine explode" and didn't explain his reasoning that would be irresponsible.

So if we had an overweight person looking to get less fat they could easily achieve their goals without weights. But has moved far away from any context.

Plus this is a fitness forum, not a weights forum.
    I don't see why weights get thrown at everyone who comes here looking for advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

I don't believe in Gambling, but I don't believe that it isn't correct.
    What the hell is correct anyway?

There is nothing irresponsible about saying you don't believe in something without explaining it.
    If he had said "Weight training will make your spine explode" and didn't explain his reasoning that would be irresponsible.

So if we had an overweight person looking to get less fat they could easily achieve their goals without weights. But has moved far away from any context.

Plus this is a fitness forum, not a weights forum.
    I don't see why weights get thrown at everyone who comes here looking for advice.

Fat person wants to get less fat they don't even need to exercise so whats your point here?

He said he doesn't agree with it, ergo he thinks it is wrong. Simple enough conclusion i would have thought. Now lets see how the rest would pan out had he said

I don't agree with sports.

I don't agree with cycling.

I don't agree with rowing.

People would jump on it too because its most likely coming from ignorance, you don't need to play devils advocate every single post defending someone who posts a load of shite

Davei141 wrote: »
    Fat person wants to get less fat they don't even need to exercise so whats your point here?

He said he doesn't agree with it, ergo he thinks it is wrong. Simple enough conclusion i would have thought. Now lets see how the rest would pan out had he said

I don't agree with sports.

I don't agree with cycling.

I don't agree with rowing.

People would jump on it too because its most likely coming from ignorance, you don't need to play devils advocate every single post defending someone who posts a load of shite

I'm not playing devils advocate at all.
    People started getting snotty because somebody DARED to not recommend weights.

Its the same as someone coming on here looking to find out how to loose weight and being told to do Starting Strength.

And whats worse is this thread is being ruined by people who insist on jumping up and down on one guys posts.

Its the same as someone coming on here looking to find out how to loose weight and being told to do Starting Strength.

And whats worse is this thread is being ruined by people who insist on jumping up and down on one guys posts.

The Perfect Program would involve weight training though?

anyways, let's continue......

The Perfect Program would involve weight training though?

anyways, let's continue......

What's perfect?
    Perfect for what?
    (now I am playing devils advocate because this is actually on topic)

They got snotty because they see something posted that said weights were somehow wrong, in a field such as fitness with all the scaremongering and misinformation you expect people not to say something? somehow i think you already know that, but don't let it get in the way of arguing for the sake of it.

Somebody comes on and recommends starting strength, fair enough. Somebody comes on and says do starting strength and never do cardio, is that fair enough?

Your worry about the thread being ruined is laughable considering arguing on behalf of the guy who doesn't believe in gyms or weights on a fitness forum wasn't going to provoke a reaction.

Davei141 wrote: »
    They got snotty because they see something posted that said weights were somehow wrong, in a field such as fitness with all the scaremongering and misinformation you expect people not to say something? somehow i think you already know that, but don't let it get in the way of arguing for the sake of it.

Somebody comes on and recommends starting strength, fair enough. Somebody comes on and says do starting strength and never do cardio, is that fair enough?

Your worry about the thread being ruined is laughable considering arguing on behalf of the guy who doesn't believe in gyms or weights on a fitness forum wasn't going to provoke a reaction.

Right, look I'm not going to answer you again, because you can't discuss things like a grown up.

Suffice to say, I'm not arguing on anybodies behalf.
    Its very clear what I am saying, if you want to twist it into something else, then that is a poor reflection on you.

being petty, sorry d'Oracle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

mod warning STFU both of ye....

touché sir!!

Well I can only assume we're still talking about the topic Will brought up of:

Twigs wanting to gain muscle, Fatties wanting to lose weight etc etc...

With these in mind, a well designed program will have some form of resistance training be it Intervals, Circuit type dealies or Strength and Hypertrophy training....

PS I missed out on this whole argument up there ^^^ when typing this out!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Bump

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cc87

Hanley,at the start of the thread you said the program you posted was the one you thought people would adhere to the best but the your ideal program......so what would your ideal program really be??

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I like this.

I think the majority of people just want to look better naked.

My answers...

WARM UP/MOBILITY

The warm up should focus on hip and shoulder mobility and be dynamic in nature as they seem to be the areas most people have trouble with. I'd do some form of upper and lower body foam rolling prior to this. So say that's 10 minutes of work...

Roll - IT Band, quads, calves, lats, upper back, work thoracic extension on the roller
    Mobility - over and under hurdle drills, front to back and side to side, maybe some glute activation stuff too

LIFTING

The main body of actual lifting work would be done to increase squat, bench, deadlift, press and pull up strength. Assuming a 3x a week training frequency (for the average Joe, tho I'd like to see more)...

Have one assistance lift designed to increase the main lift. So say SLDL for deadlifts, pressing for bench, and I dunno... more squatting for squats.

Add in two more exercises for vanity purposes cos people are gonna want to do them anyway and it's better to rx them than leave it up to themselves.

"Bench" day becomes:
    bench
    press
    pull ups
    close grip bench
    upper back of some sort
    gunzzzz

"Deadlift" day becomes:
    deadlifts
    SLDL
    another hamstring exercise, maybe unilateral
    core work

"Squat" day becomes:
    squat - lower reps
    squat - higher reps
    unilateral leg work
    core work

The main lift of the day's done with higher intensity than the assistance and supplementary/vanity lifts.

CONDITIONING

This is probably gonna be an individual thing. The intensity/RPE will be decided on by the effort put into the lifting and general state of the trainee. Since they're training 3x a week, one could be in the short time range (3-5 minutes of work), one in mid rang (10-12 minutes) and one LIT session of 20-30+ minutes of sustained workload.

The specifics of everything will change as the trainee adapts to the system, so the supplementary and assitance stuff won't stay the same over the course of a year, the mobility and warm up will change as weak points/potential issues become apparent and the conditioning work has to be analysed to gauge how well they're recovery.

Has your opinion changed on this? Obviously you have new ideas on the warmup, as posted the other day.

The lifting part looks fine to me, except that I would through in more unilateral work on the squat and deadlift days. Split squats, single leg DLs and so on.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Has your opinion changed on this? Obviously you have new ideas on the warmup, as posted the other day.

The lifting part looks fine to me, except that I would through in more unilateral work on the squat and deadlift days. Split squats, single leg DLs and so on.

Wahey, lets make it about meeeee :D

A lot's changed for me in the past 6 months... I've spent October to December dieting and then gaining back all the weight to hit some new PRs, started doing more conditioning and 'athletic' work from then, there was 4 months in IP training under Will and spending a lot of time picking his brain and then there's the move to martial arts too. So it's fair to say, my perspective's been widened in that time.

The mechanisms of what I'd do now are probably different. I've a template in my head that I think would work quite effectively. But the under lying principals remain the same. Back in September I said:
    Keep him healthy by doing the mobility stuff.
    Get him strong by using a main lift and accessory.
    Get him "in shape" with cardio/conditioning.

That's still my 'mission statement' if you want to call it that, the day to day operations of how I'd achieve it are different now tho.

I read an interesting article from Mike Boyle last week. He said a lot of coaches follow this patten...

powerlifting strength guy (strength snob, won't talk to anyone weak)
    VVV
    injured powerlifting guy (starts to look at mobility and activation stuff too)
    VVV
    functional trainer guy

I don't want to be the third dude, but I've started to read and learn about all that stuff now and how it integrates. But I'm still trying to achieve an underlying set of principles/template to work off of. I'm almost there, I'm just not sure if I'm ready to actually talk about it yet...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭ragg

If you want someone to guinnea pig your methods PM me. Im at a bit of a loose end training wise and more importantly im willing to risk my long term health in the name of the Internet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Bruce7

Interesting points here about the 80 / 20 rule.

http://danjohn.net/the-summa-liftologica-of-daniel-john/

Could be that the perfect program is the program that doesn't aim for 100%, but the one that makes it as easy as possible to consistently reach 80 - 90%.

I think this would apply especially to people with busy schedules.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

I read an interesting article from Mike Boyle last week. He said a lot of coaches follow this patten...

powerlifting strength guy (strength snob, won't talk to anyone weak)
    VVV
    injured powerlifting guy (starts to look at mobility and activation stuff too)
    VVV
    functional trainer guy

I don't want to be the third dude, but I've started to read and learn about all that stuff now and how it integrates. But I'm still trying to achieve an underlying set of principles/template to work off of. I'm almost there, I'm just not sure if I'm ready to actually talk about it yet...

Your on the slippery slope now, il expect a youtube vid of you next week, lat raising with one leg on a BOSU while engaging neutral, that and youl be benching on a wobble board, Its unstable you see, funktional!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭cmyk

mushykeogh wrote: »
    Your on the slippery slope now, il expect a youtube vid of you next week, lat raising with one leg on a BOSU while engaging neutral, that and youl be benching on a wobble board, Its unstable you see, funktional!

You mightn't be too far off with this :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭ferike1

I am seriously enjoying the current programme I am on.

It's pretty much all bodyweight stuff with some kettlebells thrown in and weights for the calf work.

Pistol and sissy squats, unweighted and with kettlebells
    Roman chairs - unweighted and with kettlebells
    Reverse sled pulls
    Hack squat calf raises

Pullups (Variations like slow pullups, clapping pullups, side to side pullups, side to side holds, behind the neck pullups, l-sit pullups, chinups, muscle ups, ring pullups)

Pushups( Variations such as explosive pushups, handstand pushups, one armed, semi planche and others that have the hands in various positions, difficult to explain)

Back bridges walking down the wall and free form for my lower back

Stomach work - hanging leg raises, hanging window wipers, dragon flags, superman pushups, lever raises

I do various static holds like the ground l-sit and pullup hold, semi planche, one armed handstand against the wall

Its hard stuff and I am still not at the level I want to be at but its really fun and I mix up the routines to keep it fresh.

I might do some more squatting in a while but I am having too much fun and making great gains!:D

I'm gonna bump this thread again as it's still a very good read.

The general underlying theory of everything I said in my first post remains as my current belief.

I MIGHT change the structure of the lifting, but then again I might now. I guess it depends on the person and their desires/motivations.

If I was to change it, it would become push/pull/legs/core repeated 3-4x per week with varying exercises and maybe some arm isolation at the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭gymfreak

If I was to change it, it would become push/pull/legs/core repeated 3-4x per week with varying exercises and maybe some arm isolation at the end.

Why would you put the push/ pull first?...cos guys are all about the gunz???
    I'd much prefer to get legs over and done with first when I'm fresh cos it's the hard part. So personal preference maybe?

gymfreak wrote: »
    Why would you put the push/ pull first?...cos guys are all about the gunz???
    I'd much prefer to get legs over and done with first when I'm fresh cos it's the hard part. So personal preference maybe?

I didn't actually outline the order of the exercises there, just what I'd include, with arms at the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭gymfreak

I didn't actually outline the order of the exercises there, just what I'd include, with arms at the end.

Oh right, just presumed that the order that you'd written it, would be the order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

gymfreak wrote: »

Oh right, just presumed that the order that you'd written it, would be the order.

Push/pull/legs is just the most common name for that split.

I prefer legs day at start of week as everyone is doing chest :D

I think Mr. Hanley is talking about a full body workout not a split.

they/them/theirs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I think Mr. Hanley is talking about a full body workout not a split.

Ah I was looking at the wrong post. I was looking with ones saying bench day, squat day, etc.

Sorry!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Scuba Ste

Scuba Ste wrote: »
    I wouldn't have thought foam rolling pre workout is a good idea, I'd see it as similar to static stretching and relaxing your muscles pre workout which I always thought was bad for performance. I'l happily admit I don't know a lot about foam rolling but mylself I leave it to post workout or just at home whenever the mood takes.

LOL. I think exactly the opposite now. I roll and stretch at the start of every training session.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭RealExpert

Easier said than done.They should start by not sitting to close to the table and half a plate instead of the usual second helpings.
    PS.
    Im a second helpings person myself.

I'd be interested in seeing how you vary the days, rep ranges etc. . I realise that you can't be that specific given that it would vary from person to person.

My thoughts would be:

Warmup, hip/shoulder mobility stuff

I'd pick one of squat,deadlift, bench and press and start the day with a 5x5 on that.

Then you have 2 of other compound lifts like rows, pullups, RDLs, GHRs, incline bench, leg presses etc. and do 3x8-10 of that.

Then a triset of bis, tris and calfs. The vanity triset. Maybe even add abs in there as a kind circuit.

Shower followed by a large meat sandwich.

they/them/theirs

Scuba Ste wrote: »
    LOL. I think exactly the opposite now. I roll and stretch at the start of every training session.

I lol'd at that post earlier re-reading the thread actually.

I like the way the people posting here can see the evolution of their ideas.

I'd be interested in seeing how you vary the days, rep ranges etc. . I realise that you can't be that specific given that it would vary from person to person.

My thoughts would be:

Warmup, hip/shoulder mobility stuff

I'd pick one of squat,deadlift, bench and press and start the day with a 5x5 on that.

Then you have 2 of other compound lifts like rows, pullups, RDLs, GHRs, incline bench, leg presses etc. and do 3x8-10 of that.

Then a triset of bis, tris and calfs. The vanity triset. Maybe even add abs in there as a kind circuit.

Shower followed by a large meat sandwich.

2nd most recent post on my site answers the exact Q!!

When it comes to things from a PL/pure strength approach it'd be different and probably more aggressive.

• Advertisement
Advertisement