Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Perfect Program

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Scuba Ste

Hanley wrote: »
    I lol'd at that post earlier re-reading the thread actually.

I like the way the people posting here can see the evolution of their ideas how stupid they were.

Eh.. me too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭Will Heffernan

I read an interesting article from Mike Boyle last week. He said a lot of coaches follow this patten...

powerlifting strength guy (strength snob, won't talk to anyone weak)
    VVV
    injured powerlifting guy (starts to look at mobility and activation stuff too)
    VVV
    functional trainer guy

I don't want to be the third dude, but I've started to read and learn about all that stuff now and how it integrates. But I'm still trying to achieve an underlying set of principles/template to work off of. I'm almost there, I'm just not sure if I'm ready to actually talk about it yet...
    You'd probably learn more if you spent less time reading Mike Boyle...his main motivation with regard to advice is financial and he is the last person that would actually listen to it.

...and before anyone goes 'off on one' I don't have a particular axe to grind re Mike Boyle BUT Mike Boyle as in the Mike Boyle who appears on the interweb as opposed to the actual Mike Boyle the person and coach who I am led to believe is no where near as ridiculous as the former is worth listening to and studying more from a marketing perspective than from a training perspective.

His views on 'training' are whatever he thinks will make him the most money at that moment and then when the winds of money change so do his views.

That's just my opinion anyway.

Flip flopping all over the training spectrum like he has is not a sign of growth and enlightenment its a sign of idiocy.

In Mike Boyle's defence...like a broken clock...he will be right at least twice a day.

gymfreak wrote: »
    Why would you put the push/ pull first?...cos guys are all about the gunz???
    I'd much prefer to get legs over and done with first when I'm fresh cos it's the hard part. So personal preference maybe?
    No matter what any one says and in some cases no matter that they don't even know it every single day you go into the gym to do your program you are prioritising whether you want to or not....you are always doing something first. You only have so much 'maximum effort' and you can't be expending your maximum effort through an entire session whether you think you can or not. You can take any training session from any of the training programs logged here and invert them...take a look at the numbers and you'll see that when inverted the numbers would be completely different.

Take an Olympic lifting comp for example...if you had the clean and jerk first and the snatch last would the numbers be the same regardless of the order of competition? If you deadlifted first, benched second and squatted last in a powerlifting comp would the totals be the same?

I have the primary lower body movement first in programs because I prioritise it...in that I think that 'leg work' gives the biggest bang for your buck training wise for most people...you'll also see I tend to have a primary exercise and a supplementary one followed by some 'core work' then a primary upper body exercise and a supplementary one. That 'core work' without minimising its importance is there as much as a structured break in training as it is there for it's own sake. The same could be said to a certain extent of the supplementary exercise...in that I am not a fan or PR's on your hamstring curls or leg extensions etc etc...my programs tend to go...warm up of mobility and stability work to get you warmed up and as a chance for you to get your head in training mode....then a big exercise followed by 15 or 20 mins of filler (exaggeration) before another big exercise with another 15 or 20 mins of filler and then go home. The reason being I don't think most people have the 'effort' in them to really focus and max out on more than 2 exercises no matter what they think or say.

I know people here are going to say 'I take it to the max' start to finish...but that is more funny than true.

As an example from what has been posted here:

I actually did this recently and my God was it worth it!I do my shoulders twice per week on the days I do my back so here is my back/shoulders routine. Take from it what you like, it mighn't be perfect but I've gotten good results from it.

Bent Over Rows w. Barebell underhand grip
    Bent Over Rows w. Barebell overhand grip.
    Scapula Pull Ups/ Row with Curling Bar.
    Barbell Shrugs
    Overhead press
    Military Press
    Deadlift
    Seated Shoulder Press with Dumbbells
    Single Arm Vertical row (with knee on bench)
    Seated Dumbell Press
    Bicep work (the usuals)

A lot of sets in there but if you have the time go for it. Do it twice a week: Light Day and Heavy Day... it's worked for me and added good mass to my upper back, shoulders and traps.

So if you break it down:

*So lets say a couple of warm up sets and then some work sets...I don't know what they actually do but if you can do your sets of Bent Over Rows with an underhand grip then when you finish turn your hands around and do it all again you might not be really getting what you needed out of your first exercise?

If I wrote this out for legs and said I want you to do 2-3 sets of 12 reps of squats to warm up....then say 5 sets of 8-10 reps working up to max and then when you were done I want you to do another 5 sets of 8-10 reps of front squats and than because I was in a good mood you didn't have to warm up...I have a feeling you wouldn't be hitting any PR's on your front squats or if you did....that you didn't hit any PR's on your back squats on your way there?

Then after you did that...you do all this as well....

Barbell Shrugs
    Overhead press
    Military Press
    Deadlift
    Seated Dumbell Press
    Bicep work (the usuals)

Anyway...to use this as an example...the kind of mass that this is going to develop in your back, traps and shoulders is not to dissimilar to how jakt you would have got if you went swimming instead.

The intensity of each of the exercises would be so low to get through allllll of these exercises and the sets and reps therein that maybe swimming would actually give greater returns now that I think about it.

This program could be re written as...

Barbell Rows
    ....then stand around talking and recovering.
    Military Press
    ...packing up your stuff and going home.

If you gave me 2 programs
    Program A
    Barbell Shrugs
    Overhead press
    Military Press
    Deadlift
    Seated Dumbell Press
    Bicep work (the usuals)

Program B
    Bent Over Rows
    Military Press

I could say with near certainty that I could get far better results with B than A if mass and strength was your goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭gymfreak

No matter what any one says and in some cases no matter that they don't even know it every single day you go into the gym to do your program you are prioritising whether you want to or not....you are always doing something first. You only have so much 'maximum effort' and you can't be expending your maximum effort through an entire session whether you think you can or not. You can take any training session from any of the training programs logged here and invert them...take a look at the numbers and you'll see that when inverted the numbers would be completely different.

Ahhhh...okay. So what you're saying is to make sure I go to my Bums and Tums classes BEFORE my step aerobics...that way my priorities will be in order..yeh?:p:p
    Take an Olympic lifting comp for example...if you had the clean and jerk first and the snatch last would the numbers be the same regardless of the order of competition? If you deadlifted first, benched second and squatted last in a powerlifting comp would the totals be the same?
    I never thought of that..that's why coming up to the Powerlifting Competition you had me do all 3 lifts on separate days..I never even thought about it...that's embarrassing.
    I have the primary lower body movement first in programs because I prioritise it...in that I think that 'leg work' gives the biggest bang for your buck training wise for most people...you'll also see I tend to have a primary exercise and a supplementary one followed by some 'core work' then a primary upper body exercise and a supplementary one. That 'core work' without minimising its importance is there as much as a structured break in training as it is there for it's own sake. The same could be said to a certain extent of the supplementary exercise...in that I am not a fan or PR's on your hamstring curls or leg extensions etc etc...my programs tend to go...warm up of mobility and stability work to get you warmed up and as a chance for you to get your head in training mode....then a big exercise followed by 15 or 20 mins of filler (exaggeration) before another big exercise with another 15 or 20 mins of filler and then go home. The reason being I don't think most people have the 'effort' in them to really focus and max out on more than 2 exercises no matter what they think or say.
    You're forgetting the Bi's and Tri's at the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Sundance_Kid

Will, in relation to the thread title what would be the perfect program (incl. reps,sets etc) for the following person which I'm sure a good few people could identify with:

• Aged 25-35
    • Works Mon to Fri; 9-5
    • Plays Tag Rugby or 5 A-Side soccer or other forms of cardio twice a week
    • Member of your standard gym
    • Able to bench, military press, squat and deadlift
    • Goes out on the pi$$ generally once at the weekend
    • Diet is average (room for improvement which lets assume they will improve on)
    • Can make the gym 3 times a week - be it before or after work or at the weekend.

There overall goal would be to get stronger and just improve their definition (not to look like the Incredible Hulk now) but I'm sure you get the idea.

Will, in relation to the thread title what would be the perfect program (incl. reps,sets etc) for the following person which I'm sure a good few people could identify with:

• Aged 25-35
    • Works Mon to Fri; 9-5
    • Can make the gym 3 times a week - be it before or after work or at the weekend.

There overall goal would be to get stronger and just improve their definition (not to look like the Incredible Hulk now) but I'm sure you get the idea.
    I don't say this lightly BUT that may just be the best question I have ever been asked here on boards.

I am going to have to just have to let this sink in for a while. I actually read that question on my iphone and was just stunned...I left what I was doing to find a computer so I could tell you.

gymfreak wrote: »
    You're forgetting the Bi's and Tri's at the end.

These go first. Priorities and all.

• Aged 25-35
    • Works Mon to Fri; 9-5

OK...so this is simple.

I would need to know what way the strength vs definition factoring was weighted...i.e. are they big and fat or skinny and fat.

If they are big and fat I'd go...Week 1 - C1, S1, C2. Week 2 - C1, S2, C2 and repeat until fatness has been resolved.

If they are skinny and fat I'd go...Week 1 - S1, C1, S2. Week 2 - S1, C2, S2 and repeat until skinniness has been resolved.

Problem solved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭KeithReilly

Program B
    Bent Over Rows
    Military Press

I could say with near certainty that I could get far better results with B than A if mass and strength was your goal.

What sort of sets and reps would you need to do to benefit from just two exercises, I'd imagine you would still need a significant amount of volume, so multiple sets would be needed 4-5 (not including warm ups) and reps would differ depending on what your training for?

• Advertisement

What sort of sets and reps would you need to do to benefit from just two exercises, I'd imagine you would still need a significant amount of volume, so multiple sets would be needed 4-5 (not including warm ups) and reps would differ depending on what your training for?
    The sets and reps within reason are almost irrelevant.

It is more psychological...I would guess that probably 95% of gym goers don't have the mental capacity or drive to generate any significant intensity with regard to optimising their returns from training.

That's not good or bad and not a matter of me having a go at anyone...I don't have the mental capacity or drive to generate enough intensity to do my taxes.

It just is what it is.

If you can do the following:
    Barbell Shrugs
    Overhead press
    Military Press
    Deadlift
    Seated Dumbell Press
    Bicep work (the usuals)

Then you are not doing any of it with any significant intensity and for all it's worth as I said previously you'd probably get as big a return as far as musculature development from swimming for that same period of time.

That's fine as well...I'm not the training police...people can waste their time in the gym anyway they like and that's fine as well. If they enjoy it that's good enough for me and it's better than sitting at home doing nothing.

I just know for instance that for example the mere presence of someone else would generate more intensity. That person doesn't have to be a trainer...just being 'observed' makes people train harder and I just know that if I had someone come in and do just Barbell Rows and Military Press instead I could get way more out of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

i'd always aim for a full body workout on a mini circuit basis.
    this split routine stuff isn't an efficient use of your time in the gym and a full body routine will have more compound exercises and functional work

warm up
    stretch
    core circuit

plank
    side plank
    bridging
    russian twists

eg circuit 1
    dumbbell lunge
    med ball press ups
    chin ups

eg circuit 2
    dumbbell bench
    swiss ball knifejack
    single leg dumbbell row

Anyone have anything to add to this? I thought I'd bump it up because there are a lot of people who've posted in this thread that I know have gotten new certifications lately or different certifications etc etc and people that have been exposed to different training methodologies in this past year. I thought it would be interesting for the people who've posted to look back on what they said and see if they'd modify or change anything in light of recent experience.

I figure it would be a good way for me to contribute positively to the board without doing anything at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭johnfaul

Anyone have anything to add to this? I thought I'd bump it up because there are a lot of people who've posted in this thread that I know have gotten new certifications lately or different certifications etc etc and people that have been exposed to different training methodologies in this past year. I thought it would be interesting for the people who've posted to look back on what they said and see if they'd modify or change anything in light of recent experience.

I figure it would be a good way for me to contribute positively to the board without doing anything at all.

Any tips for weighted chins I'm doing B.w. 86kg + 17.5kg for 5,5,4 stuck on this for a while some weeks I may get 3x5 but more often than not I can't I would like to eventually get 30kg 3x5 thanks

johnfaul wrote: »
    Any tips for weighted chins I'm doing B.w. 86kg + 17.5kg for 5,5,4 stuck on this for a while some weeks I may get 3x5 but more often than not I can't I would like to eventually get 30kg 3x5 thanks

Change it? Try more reps, less reps or just drop back and build up again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

I'm gonna bump this thread again as it's still a very good read.

The general underlying theory of everything I said in my first post remains as my current belief.

I MIGHT change the structure of the lifting, but then again I might now. I guess it depends on the person and their desires/motivations.

If I was to change it, it would become push/pull/legs/core repeated 3-4x per week with varying exercises and maybe some arm isolation at the end.

Individual programming is still pretty close to this really...

RevFit group programming's a bit different from a template perspective and is constantly evolving;

Warm Up - hip/thoracic dominant
    Main Strength Movement - squat/bench/military press
    Assistance Movement - SLDL/rows/DB floor press
    Core - something anti extension or anti rotation
    Conditioning - 5-10 minutes of density style training
    ...and then some band pull aparts and stretching if time permits

Strength programming, as always remains a constantly changing feast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭KeithReilly

Interesting you should say that, for the last year I have been doing a lot of different types of training with a variety of people and groups. I used to be pretty dogmatic about training and not have a whole lot of time for training outside my own interests or in training in which I would not immediately excel. Now every chance I get to experience something different I take it if for no other reason than to have a better opinion on something but also I find myself less reluctant to criticise any type of training, no matter how it cool it may be perceived by others. For instance Crossfit is an example of training that people either love or downright hate and I find a lot of the time the "Functional Trainers" who hate Crossfit aren’t doing training that is a whole lot different only that they are calling it "Functional" and again I'm not criticising either I'm just saying there is not always a need to criticising something because it’s not the cool thing that you do. Also a side effect of this for me is that I now just go out and train and don't spend my time during training thinking what is being done is old fashioned or pointless...or dangerous :-) .. the results for me are that I enjoy training more, I'm experiencing new things, meeting new interesting people and I'm fitter possibly than I ever have been :-)

Just to add something to " The Perfect Program" from my experiences, I think you have got to give people a mixture of what they need and what they want. What they generally need is better mobility, flexibility, stability and any imbalances corrected. What they want is probably but not confined to a "beach body" but in most cases is, i.e. they wanna look good naked or near naked, they want other people admiration for the work they put in on their body. The most important ingredient, far more important than the other two for people is that they enjoy doing it and the training is something that adds to their life because they enjoy doing it. Enough people have stress in their lifes without adding training that is unenjoyable to them to the mix. Incidentally sometimes the most important ingredient to a program can be the coach who can make even the poorest program enjoyable and worthwhile.

My example is not that different from Hanleys which I think looks very good.

Warm up:

Foam rolling, Mobility and flexibility drills.

Strength:

Depending on how often the person is training per week and what their training experience and current level is. I'm going to take it that this person is training 2 per week and has a good level of consistent strength training.

Front Squats (reps 3-6) paired with Chin Ups (Reps 8-10) 4 sets for each.

Barbell Press (reps 5-8) paired with Dumbbell Row (Reps 8-10) 3 sets for each.

Conditioning:

This can be anything that makes the person feel that they have done a tough session!! What you do in the last ten minutes has a lot to do with the persons perception of what they have done in my opinion.

So maybe something like a mini circuit:

Inverted rows x 10, Press ups x 10, Goblet squat x 8, 10 hanging leg raises. 4 sets for time or as many sets as possible in 10 minutes - whatever makes you happy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Padkir

Hey all! Newbie here so go easy...

Basically I'm looking for some advice on what would be the best type of program for me to do in order to see some long term benefits to my waistline and general health. I'm not looking for a quick fix or to become a power lifter but since I started my desk job and had to give up the GAA 2 years ago, it has been expanding...

So, a bit about me.

6 foot tall, 23 year old male.
    About 17 stone at the minute.
    Have quite broad shoulders / deep chest so not as bad as it sounds straight out! A few years ago, even at 15/16 stone a few years ago I would have looked decent as it was mainly muscle but it's gone to flab now.

Generally my arms and shoulders are in pretty good nick (although a bit of toning never hurt anyone).
    Have a big issue with my waist, spare tyre and more recently my thighs / ass region has grown more than I'm comfortable with. Pecs are starting to droop too...

I've read a lot of different arguments about cardio vs weights over the last while and I still don't really know what the optimal solution for me is. As I said, I'm looking for a long-term solution or just a constant routine I can follow to look a bit better and stay that way. I wouldn't have the dedication to just go out running 4/5 nights a week so would like to incorporate weights into my current schedule of soccer once / twice a week.

I travel a lot with work and that which adds to the problem, i.e. eating out, working late, etc. but I'm looking for a program based on when I am at home for a full week. Once I have that, I can try tailor it to use gyms on my travels wherever possible.

I don't want to join a gym; I think it would be pointless considering how much I am away. So I'm planning on buying a run of the mill weights bench with bar and dumbells and about 50kg or so of weights (I have no interest in doing max lifting so not really worth buying more weights than that). As a ballpark anyway, a few years ago after a month or 2 of pre-season gym work, I could max bench press about 80/90kg. From that experience, I know many of the basic weights exercises but I'm trying to put together a program I could do with just myself and these materials.

The types of exercises I have in my head are (apologies if my lingo isn't up to scratch!):
    Bench press
    Military press
    Lateral dumbell raise
    Bent over row
    Deadlift
    Bicep / tricep curl
    Tricep dip
    Squats
    Lunges
    Press ups
    Stomach crunches

I would plan on doing about 45 mins - 1 hour, 2/3 times a week. I also play casual soccer once/twice a week.

So can you please give me your thoughts as to how I could turn that into a decent program?

My overall goal would be to try lose the belly, pec fat, spare tyre, fat thighs. Not expecting to come out really toned or with a 6-pack; but generally just not having to suck in my gut all the time would be great and not feeling ashamed of my body would be great... Girlfriend says she doesn't mind but I don't believe her!:p Want to do it for myself anyway!

Don't really care about losing weight as such. I've a big frame so if turning my current fat into muscle meant not losing anything bar maybe half a stone I wouldn't care. I know some people are very hung up on actual weight loss but I think it really depends on your build and whether you can carry it off.

Been reading this thread and a lot of it up to now seems to be focused on people who want to get bigger and stronger. I do not want to get any bigger.

Thanks in advance for the help and sorry for the long post! Thought it might be work giving a decent bit of background. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Padkir

Is there so little hope for me that I've stopped a good thread in its tracks with my story? :eek: :o

• Advertisement

Padkir wrote: »
    Is there so little hope for me that I've stopped a good thread in its tracks with my story? :eek: :o
    I will point out a few things here in no particular order and they are not all applicable to you but some are so I will bang away here anyway.

1. Your question involves a fair amount of time and work for me to answer and what you are asking for if you came to me would cost you a significant amount of money. So I don't tend to answer these sort of questions unless I am really bored and or in the humour to.

2. If I was an aspiring strength and conditioning coach and or personal trainer these are the exact sort of questions I would answer because 1. If your work doesn't stand up to scrutiny on boards then you should either go and get some more education and training or pick another career. There are plenty of trainers everywhere just faking it but even they know it and if you want to be good at your job then you don't want to be one of those guys or girls.

3. I don't read every post here on boards but I do read the ones that I have already posted in. So if someone had a crack at helping you out I would probably ridicule and make fun of them but do it in a constructive way because I like helping people. Most of the work I do now outside of my 'day job' is consultancy work and seminars and those seminars are attended by coaches and trainers and they pay for what I tend to do here for free.

4. I post here just like everyone else....so I just post what I want and when I want and sometimes I give all of the answers and sometimes I just give some of them. The more people post and or engage in threads and discussions the more I do. Like the chin up/pull up post...I got 2 emails within 10 mins asking 'what the hell I was talking about' but people don't post it here because they are worried I'll make fun of them....that is dumb. Because what is going to happen now is that I post a little in a burst...no one engages and the great and interesting discussions that good of taken place never ever happen and all that goes on is the same cycle of posters that have been here for 6 months give new posters the same advice they were given 6 months prior and that cycle goes on and on...then every 12 months we get a....this place is dead and the forum is dying thread.

5. Now yes, in the time it has taken me to write all this I could of just fixed your program and answered your questions. But 1. you probably wouldn't appreciate it. 2. you would probably just ignore it. 3. if you did follow it you'd most likely give it a few weeks then come back and post a similar question and be told to do starting strength by someone like you that was told to do starting strength 6 months ago.

6. I am fine getting PM's and I think I answer them all and emails the same but this place I think would be a far more dynamic and interesting place if those questions were threads and everyone could see the answers and take part in the discussion.

7. No, I am not an ego maniac and no, I don't think I have the answers to everything and no, I don't think everything is all about me but I think me being involved in whatever little corner of boards or threads I am in can only be better for me being a part of it than not. I know some people disagree and I know some people that are trying to make a living in the industry wish that when I left I never came back....not even online :) but I am afraid I like the Irish too much even if I don't like Ireland to stay away. So I say to those people (you know who you are) that I think you'd also be better off engaging with me in discussion because everyone here notices that none of you do (I often get emails about it) and it makes you look insecure when you don't post in threads that I post in or stop posting in them after I do.

Anyway....Padkir...the best thing you could do is to do starting strength, drink a gallon of milk a day and throw in a couple of WOD's a week to make sure you get abz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭cmyk

Padkir wrote: »

As Will mentioned, you've asked a lot of specific questions, it's not really applicable to this thread, maybe start a new one, it'll probably get you more answers...or read the first few pages of this thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

So... is there any consensus on the 'perfect programme'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭cletus van damme

what would the consensus be on the following:

Day 1
    1 Bench (105kg) Max 3-5 reps
    2 Inverted Row (BW) 3 Sets of 20
    3A Db Row (40kg) 4 sets of 8-12 reps
    3B DB Rear Delt fly (12kg)
    4 DB Bench (25kg) 2 Sets of 20
    5 Dips 4 sets of (BW) 10-12reps

Day 2
    1 Squat (170kg) Max 3-5 reps
    2 DL (170kg) Max 3-5 reps
    3 RDL 100kg 4 sets of 10-12reps

Day 3
    1 Chins / Pull ups (BW) 3 sets of 5 reps
    2 Barbell Shoulder press (70kg) Max 3-5 reps
    3 DB Shrugs (45-50kg) 4 sets of 10-12reps
    4 Curls (20-22kg) DB 4 sets of 10-12reps

Notes.
    (Edit as per Will's request below)

BW = 95kg

1 RM Bench = 110kg
    1 RM Squat = 190kg
    1 RM DL = 190kg

My main aim is to be stonger, muscular,lean and to be half decent at muay thai.

I also do 3 muay thai sessions a week - so I can only do 1 leg session with lowish volume or the recovery isn't there.

Max 3-5 reps - means working up to a set where I can achieve a set of 3-5 reps but no more.

If the invetsed row gets too easy I will increase the volume.

I'm not a huge fan of pullups so I'm only beginning to throw them in - hence the 5 reps. That will go up once I improve.

Direct core work will happen at muay thai.

fire away!

what would the consensus be on the following:

Day 1
    1 Bench Max 3-5 reps
    2 Inverted Row 3 Sets of 20
    3A Db Row 4 sets of 8-12 reps
    3B DB Rear Delt fly
    4 DB Bench 2 Sets of 20
    5 Dips 4 sets of 10-12reps

Day 2
    1 Squat Max 3-5 reps
    2 DL Max 3-5 reps
    3 RDL 4 sets of 10-12reps

Day 3
    1 Chins / Pull ups 3 sets of 5 reps
    2 Barbell Shoulder press Max 3-5 reps
    3 DB Shrugs 4 sets of 10-12reps
    4 Curls 4 sets of 10-12reps
    1. Weights? Resistance?
    2. BW?

1. Weights? Resistance?
    2. BW?

Hi Will, I've added details above.
    Thanks.

• Advertisement

1. You start Day 1 with just a max effort set of 3-5 reps.
    2. How do you do your inverted rows? Feet up? Feet down? What sort of body angle to the bar? Chest touch on every rep? Controlled reps or 'kipping' inverted rows?
    3. 3B DB Rear Delt fly (12kg)? Reps? Sets?
    4. Squat (170kg) Max 3-5 reps? 1 set?
    5. DL (170kg) Max 3-5 reps? 1 set?

Once you clarify your program why don't you calculate the volume of your horizontal pushing and pulling? Your vertical pushing and pulling? Along with your quad dominant versus hip dominant work?

Give us some totals and then we can have a look at the balance.

1. You start Day 1 with just a max effort set of 3-5 reps.
    2. How do you do your inverted rows? Feet up? Feet down? What sort of body angle to the bar? Chest touch on every rep? Controlled reps or 'kipping' inverted rows?
    3. 3B DB Rear Delt fly (12kg)? Reps? Sets?
    4. Squat (170kg) Max 3-5 reps? 1 set?
    5. DL (170kg) Max 3-5 reps? 1 set?

Once you clarify your program why don't you calculate the volume of your horizontal pushing and pulling? Your vertical pushing and pulling? Along with your quad dominant versus hip dominant work?

Give us some totals and then we can have a look at the balance.

1. I would work up to that , admittedly I haven't recorded what I'd do but it would be something like
    60kg x 5, 80kg x 5, 90kg x5, 100kg x 3, 105kg x 3

2. Inverted row using smith machine bar and feet on a bench. chest touch. no kipping. angle ? tbh I'm not sure I never really considered it. Smith machine bar set around waist level.
    sorry if that's vague. i never considered some of those.

3. That would be supersetted with the DB row - 4 sets of 12reps.

4. same theory as bench - work up to it with series of lower weight 5-3 reps.
    like 60x5,80x5, 100x5, 120kg x 3, 140x3, 160x 3, 170kg x 3

5. the same as 4.

I'll go figure and come back .

Thanks

1. I would work up to that , admittedly I haven't recorded what I'd do but it would be something like
    60kg x 5, 80kg x 5, 90kg x5, 100kg x 3, 105kg x 3

2. Invested row using smith machine bar and feet on a bench. chest touch. no kipping. angle ? tbh I'm not sure I never really considered it. Smith machine bar set around waist level.
    sorry if that's vague. i never considered some of those.

3. That would be supersetted with the DB row - 4 sets of 12reps.

4. same theory as bench - work up to it with series of lower weight 5-3 reps.
    like 60x5,80x5, 100x5, 120kg x 3, 140x3, 160x 3, 170kg x 3

5. the same as 4.

I'll go figure and come back .

Thanks
    Cool.

It is worth knowing the numbers and volume totals before discussing it further.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 352 ✭✭RomanGod

Cool.

I don't think the problem is with choosing one program, but trying various ones to see what suits your needs

Regardless of goals, free weights surpasses smith machines

Limiting rest time to 30 seconds is preferable

Reps between 8 and 10 for hypertrophy with 75% of your max

Reps between 3 and 5 for strength gain with 90% of your max

And maybe once a month try 100% for 1 set

Easy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

RomanGod wrote: »
    I don't think the problem is with choosing one program, but trying various ones to see what suits your needs
    What sort of needs affects the program choice? Are we talking exercise choice here?
    Regardless of goals, free weights surpasses smith machines
    He was doing inverted rows, smith machine is prob the best for that imo.
    Limiting rest time to 30 seconds is preferable
    Why?
    And maybe once a month try 100% for 1 set
    Why?
    What sort of sets/reps/warm-up.

I'm not saying you're wrong (I'm not saying your right either). Backing up good advice when asked "why" shouldn't be hard though. Without that, most of what you suggested was generic men's health stuff that doesn't really help anyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭sweetthing

I usually just do the excersizes Men's Health recommend every month, which means doing different routines every month, and following celebrities' 'routines'.

Or moreover, this is what i used to do before I started lurking here. Thank christ for that.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Cool.

Way too much pushing.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Brian? wrote: »
    Way too much pushing.
    I am trying to be gentle and ease it out of them.

Ohhhh you mean HE's doing way too much pushing. Yes, but it is better if people work that out for themselves.

As an aside...have you looked at this forum or any of the training logs here? You might see a general pattern in the programs.

As an aside to my aside...I would love to know how many posters here and or gym goers in general have injured themselves this passed year...and how many of these people are critiquing programs here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Was going to do this in another thread but thought this was just as fitting. What do people think of my current programme broadly speaking? Obviously not looking for a line by line analysis. I don't follow-up any set programmes and the below has been pulled by me out of nowhere .

General
    Warm-up: 5 minute cycle to gym and brisk 2/3 minutes on the rower or cross trainer.

Static stretching: force myself to do hip and calf work some evenings. Ankle mobility is quite poor at moment.
    Cardio: General bike commuting and now with better weather longer distance cycling (e.g. Ring of Kerry 180km)
    BW: 77.5kg

Goals
    Long term: Stay strong, healthy and look well
    Short term: Gain mobility for pistol squats. Gain strength for one arm push-ups. Do a muscle-up (haven't really attempt these yet)

Limitations
    I work pretty long hours constantly so have limited time to work with. I am not a fan of stretching or mobility given time I have so the only way I can incorporate it in is with goals e.g. I want to do X movement.

Day 1 (Tuesday AM)

A1 Pull-ups 10kg 3x6 (rep range and weight varies)
    B1 Deadlift 122.5kg 3x5 (low weight for now as haven't done these in a while)
    C1 Bent over Row 65kg
    C2 Handstand Pushup 3x3
    D1 L-Sit 3x10s
    D2 Inverted Row (parallel to floor) 3x8
    E1 Seated DB Curls 17.5kg 3x6
    E2 Negative Dragon Flags/Straight leg hanging leg raise etc 3x5/3x10

Day 2 (Thursday/Friday AM)

Prehab - DC Crew workout
    A1 Bench Press 90kg 3x5 (mix up rep range)
    A2 DB Bent over flys 2kg 3x10 (I think they're call)
    B1 Chin-ups 12.5kg 3x6 (mix up rep range)
    C1 Handstand Pushup 3x4
    C2 Hanging Leg Raise 3x10
    D1 Diamond Push-ups (trying to work to 1 arm pushup) 3x12
    D2 DB Bicel Curl 15kg 3x10
    E1 Tricep Pulldown 3x10
    E2 Face pull 3x12

Day 3 (Saturady)

Mobility - focus on hip and ankles
    A1 Pistol Squat 4x10 (attempted that is, support still needed)
    B1 Barbell Squat 110kg 5x3 (find these pretty tough after pistols)
    B2 Curls 12.5kg 4x10
    C1 DB Single Deadlift 12.5kg 3x10 (used to do Barbell SLDL)
    C2 Wide Grip Pull-ups c.3x6
    D1 Seated Calf Raise 45kg 3x10
    D2 Negative Dragon Flag 3x5
    E1 Weighted Plank 10kg x30s and unweighted each side 30s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 352 ✭✭RomanGod

Mellor wrote: »
    What sort of needs affects the program choice? Are we talking exercise choice here?

He was doing inverted rows, smith machine is prob the best for that imo.

Why?

Why?
    What sort of sets/reps/warm-up.

I'm not saying you're wrong (I'm not saying your right either). Backing up good advice when asked "why" shouldn't be hard though. Without that, most of what you suggested was generic men's health stuff that doesn't really help anyone.

Yup. Different programs can simply mean different exercises

But you can do a pull/push routine, upper/lower routine or a 5 day split

Just changing it up. Keeps you hungry, looking forward to your next workout .. nothing worse than being bored at the gym

Free weight beats smith machine in every aspect. You work your stabilizer muscle and it's all about functional strength

I hear guys who say they can row or bench 4 plates on a smith machine but that's with a leverage system

Machines have their place maybe for a warm down, but I wouldn't do working sets on them

Again having a day where you just come into the gym and do a 1 rep max is something different, it's something that your body is not used to. Plus it's always good to know what your 1 rep max is so you can find out what 70% of that is (for 8 reps) and 90% (for 3 reps)

The reason why 70% goes with 8 reps you may ask? Just go into the gym yourself tomorrow and try it. You could probably bench 100kg for arguments sake. I would put a lot of money that if I asked you to do 8 reps with good form you would be putting 70kg on the bar. Sure you COULD try 80 but why sacrifice form for just 10kg, save that intensity for your max day which will increase your 70% working sets in the future

The reason why 'bro-science' and 'Mens health' gets quoted is because some of it is true. It may not work entirely but it has a placebo effect to it

Lifting is not hard, people need to stop over-complicating it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭PCros

Hi all,

Just wondering if someone can do up a simple enough workout routine for me over 3 days working on mainly upper body and some leg. The other day or 2 I will do running on a threadmill beforehand for about 15mins.

I have access to a pullup bar, dumbbells and barbell with bench.

Just looking to put on a bit of mass but more for tone.

Let me know if I'm missing any info.

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Antisocialiser

How did this turn into a 'design my gym routine' thread? :(

Brian? wrote: »
    Way too much pushing.

Thanks.

I am trying to be gentle and ease it out ofthem.

Ohhhh you mean HE's doing way too much pushing. Yes, but it is better ifpeople work that out for themselves.

I guessed thats what you were doing ...tough love...the worst kind

Okay... - let focus on upper body

This being awkward in that i haven't considered exercises in this way before
    and maybe classified these wrong.
    Also assuming by volume you meant reps rather than some work/force aspect i.e reps x weight.

But here goes:

Horizontal Push

Bench - 21 reps (5,5,5,3,3)

Db Bench - 40reps (20x2)

Total - 61

Horizontal Pull

inverted row - 60reps (3 x 20)

Db row - 40 reps ( 4 x 10)

Db rear delt - 48 (4 x 12)

total - 148

Vertical Pull

Chins - 15reps ( 5 x 3)

Shrugs - 40reps (4 x 10)

Curls - 40reps (4x10) (?)

Total – 95

Vertical Push

Dips – reps40 (4x10)

Shoulderpress – 21 ((5,5,5,3,3)

Total – 61

I would see there I’m doing less pushing overall than pulling.
    However based on what I was told about aiming for back volume to be twice chestvolume, is that a bad thing?

However I do see the Horizontal pull is a good deal out of sync.

I'm starting to overthink now...

Edit - inlcuding lower body now

Quad Dominant
    Squat - 27 reps - (5,5,5,3,3,3,3)

Total - 27

Hip Dom
    DL - 27 reps - - (5,5,5,3,3,3,3)
    RDL - 40 reps - (4x10)

Total - 67

ok ..see mismatch there....!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 As Gaeilge

Long time lurker just signed up - great forum and great to benefit from all the personal experience. Hanley mentioned one thing I think very relevant (to me anyway), (1) maximal effort is key.

I've no doubt my general approach sucks but it works for me although I suspect that might be more thanks to the effort than the science & if I had a more efficient approach I may benefit more - I am most definitely a true amateur ;)

Summary Stats
    Age 40, BW 70.4kg, bodyfat approx 10%, predicted 1RM bench 91kg (have done 2x 87.5kg), predicted 1RM hex bar DL 192kg (was doing 3x5 165kg), max chins 17, max inverted row 24 (BW with chest to bar & feet on the ground)

All the above from testing with local GAA team.

Summary training approach
    Mon: Chest superset with gunzzzz (I don't specifically train triceps)
    Tues: 2x sessions (1) Legs superset with core and (2) Hurling training
    Wed: Back and shoulders
    Thurs: Hurling training
    Fri: Chest
    Sat: Off
    Sun: Off or match

Additional to this Mon - Fri 40 - 60 mins on the bike cycling to/from work - time is dependent on the RPE, i.e. the harder I go the less time it takes :)

Example of training program
    My programs have had to be modified as I'm managing a shoulder impingement and just getting past a hip labral tear so some of the current exercises/lifts are as a result of this - and I also tend to change the actual lifts out of pure boredom but I do try and keep to the same intent with the exercise, e.g. change BB bench to DB or Cable, etc.

Warm up for all sessions includes foam rolling relevant muscle groups where possible plus some sets of higher reps/lighter weights for the first set of lifts gradually working to the working weights.

Right now I'm training heavy weight for strength gains - I don't care about achieving any excessive hypertrophy.

Chest w/ Gunzzz (push session)
    Note: Depending on how shoulder feels I'll switch between DB and BB (DB puts more pressure on the shoulder):
    4x6 Bench 35kg DB or 75kg BB + 4x6 18.5kg DB Hammer Curl
    3x6 Incline Bench 27.5kg DB or 60kg BB + 3x6 35kg EZ bar curl
    4x6 Bent-over cable press 77kg + 4x6 50kg cable bicep curl

Legs w/ Core
    Note: I was squatting and deadlifting (hex bar) but since the hip labral tear I've temporarily stopped and am doing single leg BW plus using leg press & hamstring curl
    4x12 single leg 1/2 squat (unused leg is not supported and extends to the rear)
    4x15 200kg leg press + 4x8 55kg ham curl
    4x15 unweighted single leg calf raise
    4x4 60kg clean from mid-thigh (don't have the range of motion for anything else)
    4x30s front plank
    2x30s side plank (per side)
    4x30 hip bridge
    4x4 turkish get up (I really, really hate this!)

Back w/ Shoulders (primarily a pull session)
    3x15 cable external rotation
    4x6 25kg DB shoulder press*
    4x6 91kg cable lat pulldown w slight lean backwards to bring in upper back
    4x6 70kg BB bent over row
    3x8 unweighted chins wide grip
    4x6 135kg seated cable row

*Stopped for now due to shoulder impingement

Chest
    4x6 60kg Narrow grip bench
    4x6 Bent-over cable press 77kg

Additional Notes
    (1) Obviously I want to look good nekid ;) but the primary motivation right now is for strength
    (2) I do 2x chest per week because I see this as a week point in my physique
    (3) My conditioning is good and anaerobically I am very fit (hurling training is with a Senior Div1 team in Dublin & I'm one of fittest in the panel)
    (4) My problems with shoulder impingement come and go depending on volume of training - currently I'm happy to live with it but for how long who knows
    (5) Hip labral tear was due to overuse but since I've stopped squatting and DL (also eased off cycling) I have no issue with pain or mobility
    (6) My general range of motion and flexibiliy would be considered poor but unfortunately I cannot motivate myself to address this :(
    (6) I love training and generally work to failure with every session - RPE never less than 8.5 :)
    (7) I supplement with the following (won't mention the manufacturer):
    * A combination mass builder + glutamine every morning
    * BCAAs every morning
    * Whey after every weights session
    * Gunpowder in advance of all conditioning/hurling training (made my face itchy the first time I used it thanks to overdosing....!!! :eek::o)

Maybe there should be a 'rate my program' thread?? Maybe a mod could move the recent posts there?

This was a good thread about what makes up a good program as opposed to a 'make me a good program please' thread

Not taking away from the recent posts, there's some good stuff in them but the original idea of the thread's been lost a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Scuba Ste wrote: »
    Maybe there should be a 'rate my program' thread?? Maybe a mod could move the recent posts there?

This was a good thread about what makes up a good program as opposed to a 'make me a good program please' thread

Not taking away from the recent posts, there's some good stuff in them but the original idea of the thread's been lost a bit.

It shall be done soon.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Thanks.

I guessed thats what you were doing ...tough love...the worst kind

Okay... - let focus on upper body

This being awkward in that i haven't considered exercises in this way before
    and maybe classified these wrong.
    Also assuming by volume you meant reps rather than some work/force aspect i.e reps x weight.

But here goes:

Horizontal Push

Bench - 21 reps (5,5,5,3,3)

Db Bench - 40reps (20x2)

Total - 61

Horizontal Pull

inverted row - 60reps (3 x 20)

Db row - 40 reps ( 4 x 10)

Db rear delt - 48 (4 x 12)

total - 148

Vertical Pull

Chins - 15reps ( 5 x 3)

Shrugs - 40reps (4 x 10)

Curls - 40reps (4x10) (?)

Total – 95

Vertical Push

Dips – reps40 (4x10)

Shoulderpress – 21 ((5,5,5,3,3)

Total – 61

I would see there I’m doing less pushing overall than pulling.
    However based on what I was told about aiming for back volume to be twice chestvolume, is that a bad thing?

However I do see the Horizontal pull is a good deal out of sync.

I'm starting to overthink now...

Edit - inlcuding lower body now

Quad Dominant
    Squat - 27 reps - (5,5,5,3,3,3,3)

Total - 27

Hip Dom
    DL - 27 reps - - (5,5,5,3,3,3,3)
    RDL - 40 reps - (4x10)

Total - 67

ok ..see mismatch there....!
    Good to see you doing the hard yards and trying to do at least some of the work for yourself...that's a rarity here on boards and as such...you shall be rewarded.

1. It's not just a matter of adding up the reps...work out the volume...the total volume shifted in each session....so now go away and times the reps and sets by the loading...then come back with the volumes.

2. A couple of points on your classifications....a) The way that you do your dips...do you mainly do them for you chest or triceps? If it's the latter then I'm happy with your classification...if it isn't then you need to think about it. b) Stuff like shrugs and calf raises I don't bother with. Same with single joint stuff...the body tends do protect itself from trainers own idiocy in that regard. I mainly worry about compound/multi joint stuff where you can use mechanical advantage to do some truly awesome damage to yourself. c) So leave the shrugs and curls out of you calculations.

Horizontal Push
    Bench - 1765 (60*5+80*5+90*5+100*3+105*3)
    Db Bench - 1000 (25*20*2 )

Horizontal Pull
    inverted row - 5700 (95*20*3) unsure how to measure precisely given angle issues
    Db row - 1600 (40*10*4 )
    Db rear delt - 576 (12*4*12)

Vertical Pull
    Chins - 1425 (95*5*3 )
    Shrugs - (left out)
    Curls - (left out)

Vertical Push
    Dips – 3800 (95*4*10 )
    Shoulderpress – 1155 (40*5+50*5+60*5+65*3+70*3)

Quad Dom
    Squat - 2970 (60*5+80*5+100*5+120*3+140*3+160*3+170*3)

Hip Dom
    DL - 2970 (60*5+80*5+100*5+120*3+140*3+160*3+170*3)
    RDL - 4000 (100*4*10)

Totals
    Horizontal Push 2765
    Horizontal Pull 7876
    Vertical Pull 1425
    Vertical Push 4955
    Quad Dom 2970
    Hip Dom 6970

Ok,
    Effort 3 reads a bit reasonable.
    It's clear that based on the totals that there is some (maybe more than some) discrepancies between the various push/pull

Dips would be chest related and I've removed shrugs and curls from that.

so what's the verdict?
    I'm guessing I need to substitute some exercises for others , given that I need to balance the numbers and that these session take up all my available time (so adding something won't fix it)

If mods want to move this to the new thread , fire away.

balls - it look great till i save it :(
    hope it read ok.

Thanks

Horizontal Push
    Bench - 1765 (60*5+80*5+90*5+100*3+105*3)
    Db Bench - 1000 (25*20*2 )

Horizontal Pull
    inverted row - 5700 (95*20*3) unsure how to measure precisely given angle issues
    Db row - 1600 (40*10*4 )
    Db rear delt - 576 (12*4*12)

Vertical Pull
    Chins - 1425 (95*5*3 )
    Shrugs - (left out)
    Curls - (left out)

Vertical Push
    Dips – 3800 (95*4*10 )
    Shoulderpress – 1155 (40*5+50*5+60*5+65*3+70*3)

Quad Dom
    Squat - 2970 (60*5+80*5+100*5+120*3+140*3+160*3+170*3)

Hip Dom
    DL - 2970 (60*5+80*5+100*5+120*3+140*3+160*3+170*3)
    RDL - 4000 (100*4*10)

Totals
    Horizontal Push 2765
    Horizontal Pull 7876
    Vertical Pull 1425
    Vertical Push 4955
    Quad Dom 2970
    Hip Dom 6970

Ok,
    Effort 3 reads a bit reasonable.
    It's clear that based on the totals that there is some (maybe more than some) discrepancies between the various push/pull

Dips would be chest related and I've removed shrugs and curls from that.

so what's the verdict?
    I'm guessing I need to substitute some exercises for others , given that I need to balance the numbers and that these session take up all my available time (so adding something won't fix it)

If mods want to move this to the new thread , fire away.

balls - it look great till i save it :(
    hope it read ok.

Thanks
    1. You've done a good job.
    2. You can halve the inverted row number...as with push ups the loading isn't BW and like push ups the 'actual' loading is dependent on body angle and hand position...just to make it easy and because it is usually not too far off...I just halve BW to calculate the resistance.
    3. Looking at the DB press I am assuming you are doing 25's for 20 reps for 2 sets rather than 12.5kg a hand so that volume should be doubled. Correct me if I am wrong?
    4. With the rear delt work again I am going to assume you are using 12kg a hand so that needs to be doubled.

So from what I see your pushing volume is...1765+2000+3800+1155 = 8720kg
    Your pulling volume is 2850+1600+1150+1425=7025kg

The quad verus hip volumes are 3000kg to 7000kg.

I will tell you what I think...easiest bit first...the quad to hip ratio isn't too far off what I look for myself...I usually say 1:2 ratio. I have a lot of reasons for that which I won't go into now...but thats what I look for.

Now your pushing to pulling ration is 1:0.8. When I first looked at it I actually thought it was about 1:1 but it isn't even that. I don't go around making exact calculations when I am writing programs but my push to pull ratio is pretty much always 1:1.5 or more. For me personally...the programs I do myself are closer to 1:2 pushing to pulling. Again there are a million reasons for this but suffice to say 1. I've not had a injury that was 'training' related in a long, long, long time. 2. I am in my 40's and still fighting all day at work and then fighting in my spare time and my body handles it all without a bother. 3. Look at the total mass of the muscles involved in pushing and pulling. Think about what constitutes appropriate loading and volume in relation to the mass differential between the two muscle groups.

In short...your program is pretty good and no need to stress about it...add some more pulling volume...some more pull ups/chin up and you'd probably find all your numbers improving while bulletproofing yourself against and instance of chronic injury in the future.

So... is there any consensus on the 'perfect programme'?

I think everyone should be seeing certain recurring themes and commonalities throughout the thread.

As the vast majority of my clients are weight loss, i'll give a bit of input to this that might be off centre a little bit as there are so many variables in terms of demographic. The majority of people that post here are probably in the top 10% of the country, in that most partake in some sort of strength training and take an active interest in it. There is, however, a huge demographic in this country that simply have pretty poor movement quality and an extremely low level of conditioning.

Sometimes the warm-up I use for one client will be the basis for the entire session for the next person so all this really depends.

Getting most people through the gym door is hard enough, and consistency is key for pretty much every goal. I'm sure it'll make obvious reading but any programme's success is built on consistency and having each session build on the previous.

I am getting to some sort of a point I think...I have a standard template (not far removed from some already posted), but those movements have re-gressions and progressions to suit the individual.

When planning within that I tend to 'try' to make the training hard enough to get results, but not so hard they won't want to come back to the gym...which sometimes means bending those rules.

As another aside to all that, you can also give 2 people the exact same programme on paper, but what they do inside the gym may be pretty far removed.

cmyk wrote: »
    I think everyone should be seeing certain recurring themes and commonalities throughout the thread.
    I think the main element of a program needs to be...start with the 'result' and work your way back to the beginning from there.

I am not anti 'Starting Strength' and the only reason I use it is it is one of the many blanket responses people give here no matter what anyone posts as a starting point...i.e I am a fat old male who's been messing around in the gym for a while...what should I do...answer...try starting strength,

I am a skinny young guy and I want to get jakt...what should I do....answer...try starting strength.

Now...that could be the right answer and both these individuals could scrap what they've been doing....start the program and tip away with it....they could get better quickly...if the both eat 'appropriately' for their goals...in one case to get leaner and the other to gain muscle and they stick to the program they could get the desired results. Would it be the fastest way to improve? Would it be the best way to improve? Would it be the easiest program for them to stick to? What are the chances of them getting injured? You have to take all this into account. One of the biggest problems with the advice given here in general is that people do the following calculation in their head...'this worked for me = this will work for everyone' and that is not the case. People base their advice on a sample size of 1. I like crossfit and I got in shape therefore crossfit will get you in shape. I like powerlifting and I got in shape therefore powerlifting will get you in shape. I like bodybuilding and I got in shape therefore bodybuilding will get you in shape. The maths doesn't work this way. There is no PERFECT program there is only the perfect program for you and even then it won't be perfect...it can always be improved...and problems can always be corrected. The issue with programming is that the human body is adaptive by nature...it adapts and to continue to get it to adapt you need to alter the stimulus in some way...this could be as simple as doing an extra set...or doing a set less but doing it heavier...taking less recovery between sets and increasing the density of your training...or taking more recovery and increasing the intensity of each set....on and on it goes. Every program is only 'perfect' for a time and that time is a lot smaller a window than most people realise.
    As the vast majority of my clients are weight loss, i'll give a bit of input to this that might be off centre a little bit as there are so many variables in terms of demographic. The majority of people that post here are probably in the top 10% of the country, in that most partake in some sort of strength training and take an active interest in it. There is, however, a huge demographic in this country that simply have pretty poor movement quality and an extremely low level of conditioning.
    ...and before anyone thinks I am crapping on what cmyk is saying...I'm not...he knows it and hopefully you understand it as well if you are reading this. I am just offering a 'view'.

This is a huge area...I was talking to someone about marketing today...about how being good at marketing is as important as being good at coaching...maybe even more important...and what cmyk has posted here is an illustration of why. It doesn't matter how good a coach anyone is if they don't have people to coach....it doesn't matter how good their information is if no one reads it or sees it. What has a bigger impact on health and fitness....being an awesome coach with 30 elite athletes who get the best coaching or being an average coach with decent information who is good at marketing themselves and writes a book or has a manual or a website that encourages 30,000 people to take up exercise and more importantly to stick at it?

If you are a part of the 'other' 90% of people not the 10% that cmyk mentioned. Do you need the best coach who might happen to be an assh*le that you don't particularly like or do you need a decent coach who is supportive of your needs and who has a great understand of marketing and psychology and who can get you involved in health and fitness and keep you involved to the extent that you make long term lifestyle changes and alterations that will completely change your life?

One coach could be technically better than the other...but what difference does it make?
    Sometimes the warm-up I use for one client will be the basis for the entire session for the next person so all this really depends.
    Me too...I think I've said before...I've had clients experience DOMS for the mobility and stability work...had a HR monitor on them and have seen average HR's over 165bpm and a calorie burn in excess of 500 calories...this is just from doing a mobility and stability circuit. What do you think would be more beneficial...them doing 'this' or jogging? What is a better use of the clients time?
    Getting most people through the gym door is hard enough, and consistency is key for pretty much every goal. I'm sure it'll make obvious reading but any programme's success is built on consistency and having each session build on the previous.
    This is a 'perfect' program...the one that keeps you motivated enough to do the next session.
    I am getting to some sort of a point I think...I have a standard template (not far removed from some already posted), but those movements have re-gressions and progressions to suit the individual.
    Sounds pretty good to me.
    When planning within that I tend to 'try' to make the training hard enough to get results, but not so hard they won't want to come back to the gym...which sometimes means bending those rules.
    Again...it doesn't matter how good the program is if no one is doing it.
    As another aside to all that, you can also give 2 people the exact same programme on paper, but what they do inside the gym may be pretty far removed.
    I've had 100's of people doing the 'same' program and every single one of them doing it differently.

p.s: I've just realised that reading this that some people might think that I am either 100% agree with cmyk or 100% disagreeing with him or agreeing and disagreeing simultaneously...that or that I am talking to him like he's a genius or a moron. I am not doing any of the above...I am just talking and if you are reading this...I am just rambling to YOU...it's just a conversation...I am not making any point of anything but if people talk about training and it's interesting I'll respond and you can feel free to agree, disagree or just ignore it...any of those options is fine.

If something doesn't make sense...ask...and I will clarify. I am always trying to write as fast as I can and shorthand as much as possible but am also happy to expand or clarify.

I am not anti 'Starting Strength' and the only reason I use it is it is one of the many blanket responses people give here no matter what anyone posts as a starting point...i.e I am a fat old male who's been messing around in the gym for a while...what should I do...answer...try starting strength

I've had a few people from this very board come to me having done starting strength...or at least that's what they thought they were doing. What they were actually doing was quarter squatting and some sort of squat/deadlift hybrid that was potentially going to cause more problems further down the line...so we can probably throw half decent technique into the mix for a 'perfect programme'.
    There is no PERFECT program there is only the perfect program for you and even then it won't be perfect...it can always be improved...and problems can always be corrected. The issue with programming is that the human body is adaptive by nature...it adapts and to continue to get it to adapt you need to alter the stimulus in some way...this could be as simple as doing an extra set...or doing a set less but doing it heavier...taking less recovery between sets and increasing the density of your training...or taking more recovery and increasing the intensity of each set....on and on it goes. Every program is only 'perfect' for a time and that time is a lot smaller a window than most people realise.

I think that's a pretty good answer, I think there might be a lot of people here waiting for the 'perfect routine' to hop straight into, a little like those who want the perfect nutrition plan. I think you could easily read the first part of the paragraph above and substitute the word 'nutrition' in place of 'program'.
    This is a huge area...I was talking to someone about marketing today...about how being good at marketing is as important as being good at coaching...maybe even more important...and what cmyk has posted here is an illustration of why. It doesn't matter how good a coach anyone is if they don't have people to coach....it doesn't matter how good their information is if no one reads it or sees it. What has a bigger impact on health and fitness....being an awesome coach with 30 elite athletes who get the best coaching or being an average coach with decent information who is good at marketing themselves and writes a book or has a manual or a website that encourages 30,000 people to take up exercise and more importantly to stick at it?

I'm torn on this one to be honest, coming originally from a marketing background I'm pretty poor at it. Everyday you see new products, or even worse, the exact same product re-branded and sold on, so part of me sees what you're saying and the other part of me sees people simply just trying to make more money...I'm ok with that too, I'd also like to make more money, but I just question some of the motivations behind some of them.

To the general public its hard to differentiate good products from bad, just like forum posts, and why people seem to just spin their wheels. Then you've magazines with contradictory articles every issue and/or product advert-orials.
    This is a 'perfect' program...the one that keeps you motivated enough to do the next session.

Excellent, thread closed? ;)
    I've just realised that reading this that some people might think that I am either 100% agree with cmyk or 100% disagreeing with him or agreeing and disagreeing simultaneously

I'll run with agreeing.
    ...that or that I am talking to him like he's a genius or a moron.

I'll run with genius.
    I am not doing any of the above

Sh1t.
    If something doesn't make sense...ask...and I will clarify. I am always trying to write as fast as I can and shorthand as much as possible but am also happy to expand or clarify.

Would it help to summise, with bullet points some of the pertinent points so far and insert them into the end of the first post in case there are people who don't feel like reading every page...of which I'm sure there'll be plenty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

In reference to the post about the ratio of pushing to pulling exercises in terms of total volume of work done, is there a certain preferable ratio of actual strength also?
    Eg If you're always benching in the 90% range for 5 or so reps (all these numbers are just examples) would it really matter if your pulling exercises in the same plane of movement were almost always done in the 10-15 rep range?

cmyk wrote: »
    I've had a few people from this very board come to me having done starting strength...or at least that's what they thought they were doing. What they were actually doing was quarter squatting and some sort of squat/deadlift hybrid that was potentially going to cause more problems further down the line...so we can probably throw half decent technique into the mix for a 'perfect programme'.
    Let's over reach and say that good technique is a must for a perfect program.
    I think that's a pretty good answer, I think there might be a lot of people here waiting for the 'perfect routine' to hop straight into, a little like those who want the perfect nutrition plan. I think you could easily read the first part of the paragraph above and substitute the word 'nutrition' in place of 'program'.
    Agreed. I've had an online client who have paid me for consultations and advice over a 4 month period who actually did nothing...I am giving you the short version of the story but what essentially happen is that he got his program, sent me questions, I sent him answers and that continued for 4 months....he wanted to make sure his program was PERFECT before he did anything....so while he was awaiting perfection he did absolutely no training.
    I'm torn on this one to be honest, coming originally from a marketing background I'm pretty poor at it. Everyday you see new products, or even worse, the exact same product re-branded and sold on, so part of me sees what you're saying and the other part of me sees people simply just trying to make more money...I'm ok with that too, I'd also like to make more money, but I just question some of the motivations behind some of them.

To the general public its hard to differentiate good products from bad, just like forum posts, and why people seem to just spin their wheels. Then you've magazines with contradictory articles every issue and/or product advert-orials.
    Even more reason why good trainers need to do good marketing and sales work. Even if it makes you feel dirty and unwholesome :)
    Would it help to summise, with bullet points some of the pertinent points so far and insert them into the end of the first post in case there are people who don't feel like reading every page...of which I'm sure there'll be plenty.
    Someone should do that and then I will gather them all up and stick them in the first post as you suggested.

• Advertisement

In reference to the post about the ratio of pushing to pulling exercises in terms of total volume of work done, is there a certain preferable ratio of actual strength also?
    Yes, and I've written a lot about that in the past.
    Eg If you're always benching in the 90% range for 5 or so reps (all these numbers are just examples) would it really matter if your pulling exercises in the same plane of movement were almost always done in the 10-15 rep range?
    No, I think it is more important to have some consideration of actual total volume.

Advertisement