Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Perfect Program

1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

Hanley wrote: »
    I know there was a test where they put coke in a Pepsi can and vice versa and had ppl do taste tests, and despite previous assertions to whic they preferred, they chose the CAN/brand they preferred and not the taste.

Person says the prefer coke - both in separate glasses, coke wins. Pepsi on a coke can and coke in a Pepsi can... Pepsi in coke can wins.

I'm going to try this today. Separate unmarked vessels. I'm sure there's a difference! Marketing notwithstanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 workoutadvice

a) We will assume that you warm up well.
    b) We will also assume that you are undertaking a balanced and properly structured core/trunk training program.

Monday :
    Deadlift 6x3

Firstly thanks for the advice im looking forward to getting stuck into the programe,
    Just wondering is that a typo or do you recommend doing 6 sets of 3 on the deadlifts, im happy to go with it if thats case just wana be sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭Will Heffernan

Firstly thanks for the advice im looking forward to getting stuck into the programe,
    No problem. I am happy to help as are plenty of people here.
    Just wondering is that a typo or do you recommend doing 6 sets of 3 on the deadlifts, im happy to go with it if thats case just wana be sure.
    1) I am glad you actually read what I wrote.
    2) I just don't like higher rep deadlifts. Now I will preface that by saying that...a) it's a bit rich of me since I program 5 reps quite often and you could argue...what's the difference between 5 and 6 and I would struggle to argue the point BUT I just think 6 is too much...I am actually not that fond of 5's even and I'd only use that in novices...personally I think the best returns will be found in the 1 to 3 range.

Just FYI there's another thread on boards...I'm sure you can find it....that is a program critique thread and you might want to post your new program there for comment and advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

I am actually not that fond of 5's even and I'd only use that in novices...personally I think the best returns will be found in the 1 to 3 range.

This is just for DL?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

This is just for DL?

I don't know what Will's answer will be. But I've found sets of 3 or less work better for deadlift and power cleans.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,657 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Brian? wrote: »
    I don't know what Will's answer will be. But I've found sets of 3 or less work better for deadlift and power cleans.

Does that apply even for lower weights? I'm building back up my DLs 'cause working out on my own,I found I slacked on my form and I'd started to form bad habits. So at 68kg, my PR is 140kg/4 but now i'm going to go back to 100kg because I've been missing lifts and I've let form slip. So should I still just do sets of no more than 3-5?

This is just for DL?
    In this case...I am talking specifically about the deadlift.

There are heaps and heaps of things we could discuss regarding deadlifting...reps and sets is probably the least important of these.

Off the top of my head...the more important things to consider are things like...technique as when people say deadlifting lots of people mean very different things...is it stiff legged, clean style, sumo, romanian? Then what sort of grip are they using? What about the style of lifting? You see different styles with regard of speed of movement for example...are you powering through the first or second pull or is your only concern to lock the weight out at the top? What are you using the deadlift for in your program...I could write a series of articles about the 'use' of the deadlift alone. What you are using the deadlift for would tend to influence my set and in particular my rep scheme. The majority of novice lifters deadlift technique is brutal and becomes progressively more brutal with each rep because of the fact that the starting position of the deadlift is so important and it becomes progressively more difficult to ensure the start position is correct as you work through your 'reps'. This is usually exaggerated in novice lifters because they tend to pretty much just drop the bar after reaching the top of each rep. So what do you think the chances are of dropping the bar into the perfect starting position for the next rep? Then you need to consider the rep style...are you a touch and go lifter, are you a drop and bounce lifter, are you a controlled repper...AND then you can start talking about the physiological and neuro physiological adaptations and effects of the combinations and or lack there of of all of the above.

You asked a simple question so the simple answer is yes. So you can just disregard everything I said above :)

Advertisement