Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cost per square foot

Options
  • 21-09-2010 2:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭

I have obtained planning permission for a split level house, circa 3000 sq ft

I am wondering has the build cost come down much in recent times, ie: what would it cost per square foot ?

It is a one off house and some parts of the design were challenging so I wonder if this would increase the cost of the build compared to a regular house

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭country home

i think a good price guide is 74eur a sq ft.. .

this is not a building contractor price, rather a local guy who took on the project, got him to do the hiring and firing. .

i got him in to do foundation, walls, roof. . .
    after we had no probs, i got him to do the rest. . .

he was €53,000 cheaper than 2 building contractors i had priced.. ..

but ya €74 a sq ft, will be pritty much what ill have. .
    hoping to move in by 31st oct. .

ps, this includes the lot. . . from planning to site legal stuff. . . the lot. .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭th3 s1aught3r

i think a good price guide is 74eur a sq ft.. .

this is not a building contractor price, rather a local guy who took on the project, got him to do the hiring and firing. .

i got him in to do foundation, walls, roof. . .
    after we had no probs, i got him to do the rest. . .

he was €53,000 cheaper than 2 building contractors i had priced.. ..

but ya €74 a sq ft, will be pritty much what ill have. .
    hoping to move in by 31st oct. .

ps, this includes the lot. . . from planning to site legal stuff. . . the lot. .

May I ask what type of house are you building and where ?
    Also, whats the quality of the finish for 74 euro per sq ft ?

west of ireland
    4900 sq ft. dormer style garage attached.
    hollowcore flooring upstairs
    80mm cavity insulation
    all external walls drylined with 50mm board
    100mm insulation in floor
    on the under side of hollowcore went for the 50mm dryline board (insulat + plaster board).
    on top of the hollowcore i put down a 25mm insulation.
    and on the roof, 100mm rafterlock, cross with a 50mm DL board.
    double glazed windows.
    cupa heavy natual slates

ive been told that ud go a long way to see a house with as good a finish, I kept all family and friends out of the process and trust me, its well worth it. there have been times when ive been ruthless with people, but that what u need to do when its ur home. .

but back to your original question. . .
    i had a friend who spent 13k on an AGA range, and 7k on mable tiles for the kitchen, so, when i compare myself to him i save 20K,. . u might have other ideas that i didnt go with.

The house is a vast size, built to high quality specs, regarding insulation, quality of workmanship etc. .. but its the stuff u pick is what makes it exp. .. we all build our houses with blocks and timber, , ,but not everyone wants the style and expensive products that are out there. . . somepeople here like home automation, ,, that to me is just a fab, but its a must for someone else. . .

looking what i have done, ur house should be done for 74 min, its what ur going to do extra is whats going to make it exp. .

we have taken the practical route for the whole building process. and we have second or third time questioned ourselves on every product. . .
    today we were enquiring about the 2 stoves we are buying. .
    enamel or matt , , , enamel or matt. . . . with 2 stoves the price diff is 1K.. . .
    after 2 days deciding, matt it is. . . saving another 1k.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,127 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I'll keep the house tidy and move this to the prices/costs forum :)

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Mixupat

Is 74k per sq ft a builders finish or you more or less fully moved in with house furnished?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46,127 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Mixupat wrote: »
    Is 74k per sq ft a builders finish or you more or less fully moved in with house furnished?
    Guaranteed to get you a castle with a princess or two thrown in :D

I take it you mean €74 per sq. foot? I doubt if that would leave you with a furnished house but then again it depends on where you are located and what help you can get from family and friends during the construction process and that would be direct labour I'm referring to.

€74 per sq ft includes all bathrooms done and kitchen, 2 stoves.
    every other room empty then.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I have obtained planning permission for a split level house, circa 3000 sq ft

I am wondering has the build cost come down much in recent times, ie: what would it cost per square foot ?

It is a one off house and some parts of the design were challenging so I wonder if this would increase the cost of the build compared to a regular house

..the simple fact is, 'complication costs', so for your latter point, yes, you'll probably end up paying more for uniqueness.

Having said that, I'm aware of a 'unique' house that's just been done - balcony, external balustrade, lot's of vaulted ceilings, etc, for € 86/sq ft, including all the groundworks. Location, too, plays a part.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭kkelliher

Just to be clear for those not fully in the knowledge this topic is purly a guide.

As no two one off houses are the same, built by the same builder, built in the same area, built to the same specification, built on the same site, the per square foot price is merley a guide and cannot be relied upon for banking or true cost purposes.

I have had clients who came into the process thinking and having the money ready to build for €80/ft2 and ended up spending well over €100 when the actual house was costed.

Be careful

Advertisement