Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prefer life in Galway with Irish pound or Euro?

Options
  • 21-09-2010 2:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭

Do people prefer life in Galway more now we have joined the EU?
    Or were things better when we used the Irish pound as opposed to the Euro?
    One observation I have made is that the prices of everything have incresed dramatically since the introduction of the Euro.
    I think Ireland would have a stronger economy now had it retained the Irish pound.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

What an odd question. I don't think the € caused any increase in prices. It came in just as prices were increasing with the boom anyway... Euro or no Euro it would be more expensive now than 2001 anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Dr McManus wrote: »
    Do people prefer life in Galway more now we have joined the EU?
    Or were things better when we used the Irish pound as opposed to the Euro?
    One observation I have made is that the prices of everything have incresed dramatically since the introduction of the Euro.
    I think Ireland would have a stronger economy now had it retained the Irish pound.

Makes no difference.. I suppose it's handier for travelling in Europe...

I don't think we'd have a stronger economy if we retained the pound. I think our main industry here is to be a distribution point to the rest of EMEA for US companies..and so it makes more sense for them that we be in the euro to make trading more straight forward across Europe.

I think the Euro would have benefited greatly by the UK adopting it but they have so many strengths that we don't in our economy and so could take the bold stance to reject it.

I don't see the relevance of this to Galway city.

Prices rose because of the boom and general price rises - not because of the Euro.

We were in the EEC/EC/EU for 27 years before we joined the Euro.and were tied to the ERM or the UK pound.

Without the Euro we would be like Iceland.

Off topic - I would like to welcome Estonia to the Euro - the only member to meet the convergence criteria.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

LOL

we should be thanking our lucky stars we're in the EU - if we weren't we'd be bankrupt several times over by now.

It was bank deregulation, not the EU, that caused the boom (and thus the bust)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

This guy is asking the weirdest questions all day in other posts he is looking for information on

Fairgreen Hostel

Buying or selling jobs

Place to buy diesel

Place to buy gas

Recommend a counsellor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Boards.ie is not your personal research/focus group.

No more "what do ye think of/have ye heard of..." threads please.

/moderation

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement