Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another Press clipping with a twist!!

Options
  • 21-09-2010 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭

Another court case with a twist.
    The Gardai being somwhat not very truthful!! The second link is what DS John Higgins was referring to!!

Later.Removed original blanked out article and replaced with a better scan from NO 6.
    Thanks!;)

http://www.tribune.ie/news/home-news/article/2010/jul/11/double-murder-carried-out-with-stolen-psni-gun/

Mods move when necessary please.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

I love the way the paper puts the words sport and weapon together

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭Rosahane

It seems that the "weapon of choice of criminal gangs" either changes over time or geographically;)

It was the evil Glock in Leinster and the Sig in Munster:p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Another court case with a twist.
    The Gardai being somwhat not very truthful!! The second link is what DS John Higgins was referring to!!

Read the scann attachment first.

http://www.tribune.ie/news/home-news/article/2010/jul/11/double-murder-carried-out-with-stolen-psni-gun/

Why would you blank out pieces in the scan?? Its in the paper, therefore public domain knowledge.

I don't see how the Garda in question was being untruthful. It was a legally held firearm that had been stolen.

But yeah, the choice of weapon of the criminal underworld does indeed seem to change with each story time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Greenacre

It appears that the firearm in question was stolen in another State and smuggled in to this State where it was an unlicensed illegally held firearm. I must assume that it was never legally held in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Greenacre wrote: »
    It appears that the firearm in question was stolen in another State and smuggled in to this State where it was an unlicensed illegally held firearm. I must assume that it was never legally held in this country.

The Garda in question makes no reference to where the licence was held.

OP making something out of nothing. The gun WAS a legally held / licenced firearm, which was stolen.

• Advertisement

OP making something out of nothing. The gun WAS a legally held / licenced firearm, which was stolen.
    its more the source from where it was stolen, to joe blogs public it reads like a private individual had it stolen when infact it was stolen from police in another country! if it was being mentioned they should have mentioned that too.

EDIT how many of the guns smuggeld into this country would you reckon have not been stolen from a licence holder originally??? id reckon most are stolen in other countries

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

He was correct to redact the scan of the article.

The fact that the Papers feel free to identify who owns what firearms does not mean that we should endorse that practice by circulating their articles intact.

Basic common sense would dictate that the first step in firearms security is to not inform anyone that you own them. Identifying someone, who has a license, in the press, is breaching that security.

Giving someones name and the town they are from is tantamount to giving their address.

It would be better - and in my opinion should be directed by the court - that the appelant in a firearms license appeal is not identified in the press.

There is no need to name them. Court reporters are so used to reporting on who was opposite the Gardai because they have invariably been the ones brought to court.

In this instance it is the Gardai Chief Superintendent that have been brought to court for making an incorrect decision.

In reference to where the firearm was stolen - it was stolen in a different jurisdiction and was not licensed for the same purpose as the appelant so therefore there is no correlation - any attempt to insinuate otherwise - as happened in this article - is, at best, smoke and mirrors and, at worst, an attempt to besmirch this individual and by association, all of us that hold licenses for similar firearms.

B'Man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Grizz, is that scan from a recent newspaper?
    I'd like to stitch it into the Press Clippings thread, but I need to include a proper attribution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Rovi wrote: »
    Grizz, is that scan from a recent newspaper?
    I'd like to stitch it into the Press Clippings thread, but I need to include a proper attribution.

Save Grizz the effort ;) - it is from the July 11 2010 edition of the turbine
    P.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭Rosahane

I beg to differ. The gun was not a legally held or licenced firearm!

It was a firearm, stolen from outside the juristiction and brought into this country illegally. Thus, it was an illegal firearm and no different to any other illegal firearm imported with a drug shipment or whatever!

• Advertisement

Save Grizz the effort ;) - it is from the July 11 2010 edition of the turbine
    P.
    :confused:
    Is that a 'Tribune' of some sort?
    I'm not finding it searching the Sunday Tribune.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Hi Rovi,
    Yes it is the Sunday Tribune report 11 July 2010.
    The other one I ASSume is a Mayo paper.As I was asked to post this for a fellow shooting Boardsie whom this concernes,and is unable to post this himself,due to necessary scanners etc.However I or he will post a link for you,no doubt.

BTW thanks guys for saying everything in your posts as to WHY we DO NOT ID intentionally our own fellow gun owners,their addresses,or even in this case their unique professions. Saves me a bunch of typing...:D;)
    In actuality that was a WELL BELOW the belt punch from the Gardai:mad:
    That gun was never liscensed here in any shape or form,it was stolen in NI of the police,sold to a bunch of thugs posing as Irish freedom fighters,used to off a pair of drug dealers,and then our police force have the audacity to try and link it with legally owned firearms appeals??

The DS that said this and by doing insuniated that we civillians are somhow negligent,considering that in the last couple of years the Garda record of secure firearms use has been less than exemplary too,what with three sucidies,one by an ex member with a UZI SMG and an accidental discharge leading to a fatality in the last two months is a downright disgrace to the Gardai..:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Rovi wrote: »
    :confused:
    Is that a 'Tribune' of some sort?
    I'm not finding it searching the Sunday Tribune.

Follow the link Grizz gave and it will bring you to the Tribune page - if you don't want to do that just look at the link -the edition date also is embedded in it:p. I though everyone knew that the Tribune is called the Turbine (even, god help us, by those who bother to read it). Next you'll want to know what the Grauniad is;)

I'm talking about the provenance of the scanned image attached to the OP.

Hi Rovi,
    The other one I ASSume is a Mayo paper.As I was asked to post this for a fellow shooting Boardsie whom this concernes,and is unable to post this himself,due to necessary scanners etc.However I or he will post a link for you,no doubt.
    Thanks for that, I'll carry on the search in the meantime.

I've been told elsewhere that it's from the Connaught Tribune, but I'm having no luck there either. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

It is the Connaught Telegraph page 14a published tuesday 14th september. I have an original page here, I meant to scan it and post for you all but was beaten to it (ok I forgot!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 thebeef44

No6 wrote: »
    It is the Connaught Telegraph page 14a published tuesday 14th september. I have an original page here, I meant to scan it and post for you all but was beaten to it (ok I forgot!!)

Can You Scan the Page again as some of the original scan is missing
    Thank You

Thanks for that No6.

Unfortunately, they're looking for a subscription to access the digital edition, and there's no sign of the article on their main site.

As requested above, can you (or Grizz?) scan it again please, and if you can, also scan the text at the top of the page noting the name of the newspaper and the date, so that it can be included in the image?

Like what was done with this one:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=66394307&postcount=169

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

I don't see how the Garda in question was being untruthful. It was a legally held firearm that had been stolen.

There is a certain amount of humour to be had from your handle.

Also I would assume every illegal firearm was at one point in time legally held, unless Glock sell illegally to the black market. The inference in the article was to suggest the gun was legally held in this state.

And the inference in your post that all Illegally held firearms are made by Glock is hardly of help either. :eek:

I own a Glock - I target shoot with a Glock. I am quite happy with my Glock.

I am not a criminal.

What was in that article was wrong - dissecting it to find out what syllables were not wrong is a waste of time.

B'Man

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

I wonder if fashions ever change in the criminal underworld and a different type of firearm comes into vogue, will the Gardai stop objecting to Glock, SIG and Beretta ownership on the grounds that these are the weapon of choice among criminals? If sawn off shotguns become the weapon of choice, will all of us shottie owners find our license renewals being rejected by the Gardai?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

I thought the Baretta was never acceptable in this country?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Doubtful,as the shottie is the most common firearm in Ireland in public hands ,and who in Govt or Gardai would dare risk alienating and rousing the "real Goverment :rolleyes:" of Ireland ...the Irish Farmers Association:D
    This is just the Garda standard line that handguns are the criminals weapon of choice to try and tar all with the same brush,and scare the unknowing with it..wouldnt matter wether they were Sigs,Glocks,Colts or a an antique Bergmann[predecessor to the Luger pistol].They just have this intense paranoia here and apprently always have had about handguns since the foundation of the State.:(

Rovi
    Have kicked your request back to the person involved.Loooks however like it was a bottom page article.Hence no dateline or banner.Would a phone call to the newspaper not verify the authenticy of the article??

The 'of choice' thing is a crock

Paul 'Glock' Reynolds and his ilk are largely to blame for this.

I'm sure his first interview question is always - "Was there a Glock involved?" and if the answer is in the positive he goes off to have a little one on one quiet time with himself prior to doing his piece for camera.

It is simply a matter of brand recognition. He and his colleagues recognise the name, know what it means and use it whenever possible.

They use the term 'sawn-off shotgun' for all shotguns - rather than a 'Sawn-off Browning' or 'Sawn-off Beretta' or 'Sawn-off Holland&Holland' as they do not recognise the brand.

Whenever there is handgun involved - they never mention the manufacturer - unless it is a glock - on occasion they get told it is a different brand but they do not know if that is the real name or a pejorative so they do not use it - 'the crime was committed with a Walther' becomes 'a handgun was involved'

Much like many people refer to all types of Vacuum cleaner as a 'Nilfisk' or 'Hoover'

The 'Brand du Jour' in this context will always be villified.

B'Man

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

I hope this works!!

worked alright

Bananaman wrote: »
    'Sawn-off Holland&Holland'

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

What a waste! And I believe it did actually happen.

Doubtful,as the shottie is the most common firearm in Ireland in public hands ,and who in Govt or Gardai would dare risk alienating and rousing the "real Goverment :rolleyes:" of Ireland ...the Irish Farmers Association:D

A fairly senior Garda told me a few years back that the biggest problem with legally held firearms being stolen in Ireland was shotguns being robbed from isolated houses in rural Ireland. Many of these were being recovered during Garda raids on halting sites. Nothing was going to appear in the media about this because there would be accusations of racism against travellers levelled at the journalists. And, as you point out above, nothing would be done to upset the IFA, sure didn't they get the DOJ to back down on their gun safes for all policy and exempt owners of a single shotgun, the very ones who were the targets of thieves looking for guns to steal? So no gun safes for the most at risk group of owners, while the rest of us have our homes converted into minor Fort Knoxes!

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭firefly08

BTW thanks guys for saying everything in your posts as to WHY we DO NOT ID intentionally our own fellow gun owners,their addresses,or even in this case their unique professions. Saves me a bunch of typing...

Surprised no one mentioned this (maybe I missed it), but the guy's name is really obvious in your scan of the paper. It shows up through the black marker!

You've gotta love the statement that the Beretta is favoured my the military "for it's ability to kill". Jesus. I thought just they liked it because Mel Gibson has one in Lethal Weapon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

Bananaman wrote: »
    And the inference in your post that all Illegally held firearms are made by Glock is hardly of help either. :eek:

Amm.... serious go read the ting again, fool of a post

Advertisement