Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BER course

• 21-09-2010 2:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭

Hi,
    I'm finished college after doing civil engineering. I'm thinking of doing the BER coarse but the high cost is putting me off. By the looks of thinks its going to cost about 2500 to get set up.

I'm just wondering what kind of pay back time I would be looking at. I see people advertising certs for 100. seems very cheap to me.

also would people have any recommendations about where to get trained?

thanks

James.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Bear in mind that a LOT of people got registered early doors.
    There is a lot of competition and it will be tough to make a living out of on its own.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,915 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

in all honesty there is NO market out there for BEr assessors.

Houses are not selling, a lot of the "moveable" housing stock will already be certified. As you say assessments are available for as low as €100 (and lower!!).... so take €31 for sei fee and vat that means theres people doing them for €69.

Youd be lucky to set up for €2500... assume course costs of €1500... sei registration fee of €1000, PI insurance of approx €600, then factor in ladders, cameras, flashlights, pc requirement, internet access etc....

your €2500 would be paid back after 37 assessments. I have carried out approx 60 assessments in approx 2 1/2 yrs of assessing, which included a scheme of 32 units.

id make a conservative guess of a payback period of about 5 years....

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭spadesaspade

go to australia with your civil degree

go to australia with your civil degree

Or Canada.
    Or the UK.
    Maybe even NZ.

OP, in addition to Syd's bang on the money point about houses not selling, it is also true that (unfortunatly) Landlords are now coming aware that there is no control for the long term rental requirement and just not getting it unless the tennant demands it. Which doesn't happen much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

What about NEAP? There seems to be more of them active:

http://www.seai.ie/Your_Building/BER/BER_FAQ/FAQ_BER/General/Monthly_stats_report.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

You would be better investing that kind of money on a nice holiday, betting on a horse or giving it to a worthy charity. Unless you have a direct line to a lot of property needing BER's it will take years to recover your investment never mind making any money at it, I have done around a hundred in three years of registration but one was a scheme of 64 houses so they had a nice low fee to get the job. I have just about made back what I put into it but certainly wouldn't reccomend anyone else to get involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭jame5_b

Thanks for the replies everyone. I wasnt really planning on doing it full time but by the sounds of things I would be years before I strarted to make any money. Plus il probably be leaving the country in a year or two so looks like it wouldnt be much use to me.

jame5_b wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies everyone. I wasnt really planning on doing it full time but by the sounds of things I would be years before I strarted to make any money. Plus il probably be leaving the country in a year or two so looks like it wouldnt be much use to me.

It might be of use to do the course, but don't expect to recoup your costs.

DEAP is a handy piece of kit, it has more uses than just generating certs.
    But you may be able to teach yourself how it works using the manual.
    Its nice to be taught the assumptions and walked through a few assessments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

+ 1 on all of the above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Smcgie

Yip stay clear op, the course isn't worth 300 never mind 2500 honestly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭dunie001

don't bother your head...

if you go through your life only ever looking at BER Certs, it wouldn't be a bad life at all...doing them is a bitch. here's why:

You need (aside from no brain):

1. computer
    2. Microsoft excel
    3. Broadband
    3. Autocad
    4. SEI registration.
    5. filing cabinet to store BER Certs for 10yrs
    6. calculator, laser measurer (€130), digital camera, laminator.
    7. money for advertising
    8. your own car/van

unless you already have all of the above and left your brain behind you in college...then you might as well give up now.

spend the money on a holiday...i wish i did!:(
    I have carried out approx 60 assessments in approx 2 1/2 yrs of assessing, which included a scheme of 32 units.
    I've done about the same amount as this myself.

dunie001 wrote: »
    don't bother your head...

if you go through your life only ever looking at BER Certs, it wouldn't be a bad life at all...doing them is a bitch. here's why:

You need (aside from no brain):

1. computer
    2. Microsoft excel
    3. Broadband
    3. Autocad
    4. SEI registration.
    5. filing cabinet to store BER Certs for 10yrs
    6. calculator, laser measurer (€130), digital camera, laminator.
    7. money for advertising
    8. your own car/van

unless you already have all of the above and left your brain behind you in college...then you might as well give up now.

spend the money on a holiday...i wish i did!:(

I've done about the same amount as this myself.

Why in heavens name would you need Autocad?

Also Laser measurer is not needed nor is a Laminator.
    Or even Microsoft excel. If you really really needed drawing software and spreadsheets you could use OpenOffice or Google Sketchup & docs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭dunie001

Why in heavens name would you need Autocad?

Also Laser measurer is not needed nor is a Laminator.
    Or even Microsoft excel.

Well unless you have a good mate to constantly hold the other end of a tape, then you will definitely need a laser measurer.

Also, if you want the BER Certificates to last 10yrs then buying a laminator is a good idea. anyway, it's not as if they are expensive.

You could probably get away without AutoCad but i think any BER Assessor would definitely crack up if they didn't have Microsoft excel or similar.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,915 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

The BER certificate exists as a digital file, anything you print is mearly a copy.

I have never laminated a ber certificate.

I measure all my houses by hand solo with a tape measure, i have a laser measure but i simply do not trust it in a room filled with furniture and pictures etc. They might be fine in a large open room with not fittings etc but i find they can be untrustworthy in small filled rooms. Also you cant measure opes with them, so i dont bother carrying both around. Ive never yet found a house i couldnt measure quicker with a tape measure.

I do draw up all plans on autocad as i find it much easier to:

1. measure and denote lengths and heights
    2. measure and denote areas
    3. keep as a digital copy rather than hardcopy sheets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Toplink

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Also you cant measure opes with them

Yes you can! And very quickly too... I wouldn't survive without my fatmax, my only issue with it is that it eats battereis.

Your right about digital certs, i'll rarley even print one unless the client doesn't use email.

And whats the deal with solicitors wanting the 'original cert' and wont accept an email, it must be a legal thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭r-i-tect

Can anyone recommend a good intro course. I just want to get an overview, rather than have to do more assessments ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭caesarthechimp

Toplink wrote: »
    And whats the deal with solicitors wanting the 'original cert' and wont accept an email, it must be a legal thing?
    No, no legal reason at all. Tell them there is a €20 charge, or else to get it off the SEAI website themselves. ;)

Advertisement