Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A green light for getting my great dane!

Options
  • 21-09-2010 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭

So after 1-2 years of research about the ins and outs of getting a great dane. I have finally worked At a solution for (a) getting the dog and (b) somewhere to keep the dog while we are at work. There is a doggy day care in Clonsilla (where I am moving) litereally 5 mins down the road from me. Decentish price at 12.50 a day. So now that hurdle is out of the way I can seriously start saving and looking for a dane now. I will keep you all posted on my progress.

Can someone advise where is best to start looking for one from a reputable breeder? I have rang the IKC already and they have given me the number of the Great Dane Club in newbridge Kildare. Is this the right road to be going down?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Yes, thats the way to go, call the breed club and ask about breeders. Also ask about shows near you where you could meet breeders and have a chat.
    If they're a decent breeder they will be happy to discuss the breed and any health tests or problems that they have.
    I know when getting one of my dogs the breeder *interviewed* me over the phone at length before telling me she did have a pups. I had to meet her and the dogs and pups, then was allowed to choose one.
    I got to know her very well and she was very upfront and honest about the good and bad points of the breed, and the grooming involved(very long haired breed). I have also contacted her for advice occasionally, and 2 years on still get the odd text.
    You really need to find a good one with danes, it'll cost more but it'll be worth it.
    Best of luck.

Advertisement