Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feeling guilty about leaving my kitten alone

Options
  • 21-09-2010 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭

I am the love struck owner of a 7 week old kitten whom I rescued from the animal shelter. She is so gorgeous, full of life and so lovable. Only 2 hours of bringing her home, she was snuggled up on my lap!
    Today is my first day at work, with kitty at home and I feel so guilty. She has lots of toys, food and water, knows how to use the litter tray...all the essentials but I feel teribble leaving her!
    I called in at lunchtime to check up, and she started crying a lot as if to say, 'how could you leave me??'
    Has kitten already got me wrapped around her paw? Or is there something else I should be doing to prevent her from getting lonely. I cant get another kitten so that option is out.
    Does she just need time?
    Any help here would be great, I am distracted at work over it. (as you can tell by the fact that I am spending time on here :o)

Thank in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

It is probably used to a bit of noise, leave a clock that ticks near it, it imitates a heartbeat. Also the radio is noise that it thinks there are humans about.

Cats are more solitary animals and get on fine in their own company so dont worry about it! It is just used to having its own way. It is the same as with a young child, it must learn it is not the centre of the universe :)

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭poconnor16

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    It is probably used to a bit of noise, leave a clock that ticks near it, it imitates a heartbeat. Also the radio is noise that it thinks there are humans about.

Cats are more solitary animals and get on fine in their own company so dont worry about it! It is just used to having its own way. It is the same as with a young child, it must learn it is not the centre of the universe :)

Thank you - thats very re-assuring :). I left the telly on (poor thing will have to watch Oprah) at lunch, so that might help. I guess they are like kids, thats a good point. She is the centre of my universe at the moment, just cant let her (or my poor other half) know that. LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sambuka41

poconnor16 wrote: »
    I called in at lunchtime to check up, and she started crying a lot as if to say, 'how could you leave me??'
    Thank in advance!

ha ha she is a cat,she's not a human and is not experiencing those emotions!! Now i am officially the worlds biggest hypocrite!!! :p My little fella has me wrapped around his little paw too and sometimes i have to remind myself off the fact that he is a cat and im putting my human emotions on him!!!

i rescued a female kitten about a year ago and she was the most vocal little thing!!! Meowing all the time and her little purrs were so loud. Maybe its a female thing!!! :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Test For Echo

When I took in a tiny kitten in 2006 I ended up taking her to work with me every day for 2 months (mental, I know)!! After 2 months I left her at home with the radio on and would check on her every lunchtime. She was grand.

4 years on, she still has the radio and another cat for company / entertainment while I'm out.

Thank you - thats very re-assuring :). I left the telly on (poor thing will have to watch Oprah) at lunch, so that might help. I guess they are like kids, thats a good point. She is the centre of my universe at the moment, just cant let her (or my poor other half) know that. LOL

Cats cant tell if oprah is good tv or not, but it is noise. Just do NOT leave anything like jeremy kyle on, poor animal has been through enough in life (you said it was a rescue animal)

Another good trick is get an old hot water bottle and one of those cheap furry covers and pour hot water in and leave it in its basket, they and puppies ADORE that!

Just remember to make rules, when you come in this evening, ignore it for a min til you have your coat and keys and everything sorted, then show it that once you are fiinished what YOU are doing, it gets attention.

Also remember as it gets older, cats hate eye contact, it means you are challenging them! Doesn't mean anything to a kitten but it does to an adult.

• Advertisement

Thanks guys, this is making me feel so much better! I guess some of them are a little vocal, she certainly is.
    The hot water bottle trick is what I do at night time. I wont bring her to our bedroom, as I know what they can be like at night. So she sleeps on her blanket with hot water bottle in the living room. Worked well last night anyway.
    I wouldn't put a anyone through Jeremy Kyle...:rolleyes:

I think once I survive today, I'll know I'll be ok. Although I might be back for more advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

As adults, yes, cats don't mind spending a lot of time on their own, in the main, although they are always happy to see you coming home! At only seven weeks old though, a little kitten has only just left her mum and littermates, and will feel lonely if left alone for long periods. At that age I would always rehome kittens in pairs - surprised the rescue didn't suggest it. Once she gets used to your routine OP it will be easier for her. Be sure to leave food out during the day while she's still so young as they need to eat little and often.

PS When they cry like that, they are expressing a bit of anxiety - in this case, reflecting the fact that she's been on her own. Don't let anyone tell you different or dismiss a kitten's need for social contact or the sophistication of their emotions. They only tend to play and explore in short bursts between napping so you could try playing with her before you go to work so she'll be more inclined to nap while you're gone.

Good on you for giving her a lovely home. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Another good trick is get an old hot water bottle and one of those cheap furry covers and pour hot water in and leave it in its basket, they and puppies ADORE that!

I wouldn't leave an animal unsupervised with a full hot water bottle. Too risky if it leaks or gets punctured. Plus as soon as it cools it draws heat away from the animal and leaves them colder than if they'd had no hot water bottle. You can get snugglesafe heat pads from Zooplus that are totally safe and heat in the microwave in 6 minutes. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Remember these moments, soon, you will cry for her and she will ignore you :)

boomerang wrote: »
    I wouldn't leave an animal unsupervised with a full hot water bottle. Too risky if it leaks or gets punctured. Plus as soon as it cools it draws heat away from the animal and leaves them colder than if they'd had no hot water bottle. You can get snugglesafe heat pads from Zooplus that are totally safe and heat in the microwave in 6 minutes. :)

Ooohh! Hadnt thought of that, I would assume since they are from Zooplus there is no beany things like in the human ones! genius. :)

• Advertisement

Jeez I never thought of that. I'm pet shopping this weekend locally so will have a look for something similar - if not I will go on line.

This morning she seemed much better. No loud meowing, just a little one when I came down this morning. We had a play and pet and some food. As I left I lloked back in the window and she was busy re-designing my curtains! While I find it hilarious to watch :D does anyone have any tips on teaching her to stop this? She has a scratch post (and uses it), an old rug etc....but those curtains are just too much fun!

Oh and here is the little lady in person, Tibs.;)

As adults, yes, cats don't mind spending a lot of time on their own, in the main, although they are always happy to see you coming home! At only seven weeks old though, a little kitten has only just left her mum and littermates, and will feel lonely if left alone for long periods. At that age I would always rehome kittens in pairs - surprised the rescue didn't suggest it. Once she gets used to your routine OP it will be easier for her. Be sure to leave food out during the day while she's still so young as they need to eat little and often.

PS When they cry like that, they are expressing a bit of anxiety - in this case, reflecting the fact that she's been on her own. Don't let anyone tell you different or dismiss a kitten's need for social contact or the sophistication of their emotions. They only tend to play and explore in short bursts between napping so you could try playing with her before you go to work so she'll be more inclined to nap while you're gone.

Good on you for giving her a lovely home. :)

I dont think I could afforded 2 kittens at this time; she cost me 70 euro (30 donation to the shelter and 40 euro to pay for her neutering when she is old enough) so 140 was not possible.
    I get up a little earlier in the morning so I have 20 mins with her, I see her at lunch for an hour and I am generally hime on time at 5. Longest period she is alone really is at night time.
    At least I know what the crying is - either way, I would never ignore her. But I might just be able to get on with my day now a little better.:o

I dont think I could afforded 2 kittens at this time; she cost me 70 euro (30 donation to the shelter and 40 euro to pay for her neutering when she is old enough) so 140 was not possible.
    I get up a little earlier in the morning so I have 20 mins with her, I see her at lunch for an hour and I am generally hime on time at 5. Longest period she is alone really is at night time.
    At least I know what the crying is - either way, I would never ignore her. But I might just be able to get on with my day now a little better.:o

Don't worry about getting another one, my housemate is a vet student and he says one is actually better!!!! He also said, introduce her to one room at a time as it overwhelms kittens! Sensory overload is hilarious to look at, but not for the little thing to experience.

As for the curtain thing, I would say knot it up while you are away, she wont be able to reach so they will remain safe!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

Emm...I've just adopted 2 one year old cats (sisters), and as I write this, they are downstairs "playing"....by which I mean running riot around the bottom of the house, boxing each other.

Two is good, but at the same time - it's a lot of litter tray changing!! They've realised the upstairs of the house is off-limits - at least while I'm here - but there's a lot of banging going on downstairs!

We previously only had one cat, who was totally and completely spoiled, but was completely capable of looking after herself every day, but she was delighted when we came home in the evenings!These guys are nearly worse though - they do their utmost to trip me up to express their delight!

I wouldn't be too worried about the kitten being lonely, I'd be more concerned about what she might do to the furniture in your living room!!

Gotta go - there was the sound of something shattering downstairs....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,521 ✭✭✭Heroditas

dan_d wrote: »
    They've realised the upstairs of the house is off-limits - at least while I'm here - but there's a lot of banging going on downstairs!

Haha! At least you're realistic and reckon they go upstairs when you're not around!
    I know some people who are horrified when our cats jump up on the dining room table or the counters in the kitchen.
    "Oh our cats NEVER do that....."

My reply: "yeah right! They stay off the counters and tables when you're in work? Do you honestly expect me to believe that?" :rolleyes:

Heroditas wrote: »
    Haha! At least you're realistic and reckon they go upstairs when you're not around!
    I know some people who are horrified when our cats jump up on the dining room table or the counters in the kitchen.

My reply: "yeah right! They stay off the counters and tables when you're in work? Do you honestly expect me to believe that?" :rolleyes:

Hahaha - that is so true...I think it is funny when a cat jumps up on the counter (my cat when I was a kid) and you shout at her to 'get down!' The she just looks at you, and looks away - still sitting there. They really do think they are the boss. (Half the time they are probably right)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Dixie Chick

dan_d wrote: »
    Emm...I've just adopted 2 one year old cats (sisters), and as I write this, they are downstairs "playing"....by which I mean running riot around the bottom of the house, boxing each other.

Two is good, but at the same time - it's a lot of litter tray changing!! They've realised the upstairs of the house is off-limits - at least while I'm here - but there's a lot of banging going on downstairs!

We previously only had one cat, who was totally and completely spoiled, but was completely capable of looking after herself every day, but she was delighted when we came home in the evenings!These guys are nearly worse though - they do their utmost to trip me up to express their delight!

I wouldn't be too worried about the kitten being lonely, I'd be more concerned about what she might do to the furniture in your living room!!

Gotta go - there was the sound of something shattering downstairs....:rolleyes:

Sorry OP for the off topic but just wanted to say that Im delighted to see that youve taken on two cats Dan_d, your posts about your previous cat really really moved me and any cat is lucky to have you as an owner.

With regards to the kitty,a) she is the cutest thing ever and b) they sleep so much that you really shouldnt fret so much and c) my cat has the end of my curtains ruined, she makes a running jump for them with a big mad face on her!

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Pudding11

I adopted two kittens from the DSPCA just over a year ago. At the start I felt so guilty leaving them there on their own but they were fine! If they werent chasing each other around the house or performing acrobatics in the window for passing neighbours (I kid you not, they actually have fans who stop by to say hello to them!), they were upstairs asleep on the bed! They are a year and a half now and spend their days sleeping and their evenings/night playing i.e. smacking me in the face with a paw and purring in my ear to see if Im awake! :D
    Dont worry about it too much, cats adapt quickly and will always find something to amuse themself. I always leave the radio on for a bit of background noise.

Well all was well this lunchtime; curtains where I left them! She was her usual self, loud meows at my arrival and luts of purrrrrrring :).

2 questions for you 'in the know cat peeps'.

1. I have a bed, and blanket for her and I think she still chooses to sleep under the couch on the wooden floor - is this ok? She is able to get up on the couch too so it is a strange choice and I'm worried if she is warm enough.

2. She is using the litter tray very well....in fact she never stops going. (I assume this is normal for a kitten.)
    However, she makes a lot of wailing, meow noises while she is, ahem, in the process of going. Is that the norm? I'm bringing her to the vet in a few weeks for her shots, maybe I should go sooner to get her checked for worms?

:o Sorry for all the questions - but maybe they will help anyone else in a similar situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Pudding11

Glad she is doing well so far!:)
    re question 1, I dont believe thats anything to worry about. When I got my two, they had a bed each but they sleep in various places from the floor under my bed to the chairs under the kitchen table! Generally wherever they feel like! I noticed they tended to lay on the floor if they were feeling a bit warm, maybe to cool down for a bit?
    Re question 2, havent come across that myself so I dont know. Someone else here may though, or you could give the vet a call and ask for their advice to be sure.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

poconnor16 re the litter tray question 2... no not normal, sounds like she has pains when going to the toilet, does she have diahorrea? I think she should be wormed soon.

I would recommend you ring the vet and tell him/her about it. they will advise you correctly..

Spoke to the housemate, he really thinks you should bring the little one to the vet. Have you changed her food from what she was on in the shelter, that can cause such problems!

Hi guys,

not taking any chances (and taking your advice), I rang the vet and she'll be having her first visit saturday morning. She hasn't been meowing as much yesterday evening so maybe she was getting used to different food.

I asked at the shelter if wet food was ok (kitten food) and they said yes. But they seemed to be in such a rush...I think they may have been keen to get me out the door.

She's not keen on water either which is unusual, she prefers the whiskas milk. Another thing I will mention to the vet.

Other than this, she is full of life, curiosity, energy...is very nosy :) and so cuddly at night so I'm sure she'll be ok once she gets the once over. Will let you all know how she gets on...getting her in the carrier cage will be enough fun! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,521 ✭✭✭Heroditas

She's not keen on water either which is unusual, she prefers the whiskas milk. Another thing I will mention to the vet.

Our two were like that when we first got them.
    We gradually reduced the amount of milk in their drinking bowl and mixed it with water until after a week or two they were just drinking water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

Heroditas wrote: »

I worked with someone who used to say "the cat was in your bed????That's disgusting". I suggested he try keeping a cat out of a bed - or in fact anywhere that they chose to go!! Needless to say, he was not a pet owner!

Thanks for that DixieChick, these guys seem pretty happy anyway. Mind you, there's an ominous silence coming from downstairs right now:p

OP, I think a trip to the vet with regards to the litter tray would be good - I haven't experienced that with a cat before, and I've had quite a few in my life as I grew up. As for the sleeping thing - cats will only sleep where suits them, and usually exactly where you don't want them to! Have you tried putting her in her bed for a minute yet? Sometimes, if it's something new like that, they can ignore it without realising it's a good sleeping spot. I'm sure she'll come around to it eventually though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

1. I have a bed, and blanket for her and I think she still chooses to sleep under the couch on the wooden floor - is this ok? She is able to get up on the couch too so it is a strange choice and I'm worried if she is warm enough.

There might be a radiator pipe running under the floor on that specific spot. Have you tried to check if the floor under the couch feels warm?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

OP if you are technically inclined you could watch her all day from work. Laptop, webcam and a smart phone. Check out ispyfx.com and you will see on the live cam pages just how many people do this.
    It's easy to set up and can be password protected so only you can see. Probably can be used from pc if you don't have a smart phone :)

irish1967 wrote: »
    OP if you are technically inclined you could watch her all day from work. Laptop, webcam and a smart phone. Check out ispyfx.com and you will see on the live cam pages just how many people do this.
    It's easy to set up and can be password protected so only you can see. Probably can be used from pc if you don't have a smart phone :)

That is such a class idea! Must have a look into that, it would make for some very interesting TV I think:D

• Advertisement

Update:

off to the vet she went anyway....cried the whole way there, hates the car. But was as good as gold in the surgery, loving the attention. Got her first round of vaccines no trouble.
    The vet gave her a worm dose and since then her appetite has increased 2 fold which is great to see! No issues in the litter tray department either. It was nice to be reassured that she is a very healthy kitten also.
    I am so used to her behaviour now, I am much more comfortable leaving her at home. And so is she. Its great to see her snoozing on the couch when I get in at lunch, or chasing a toy around. The curtains will just have to be replaced, evetually. :)

Thank you to all on this thread for you helpful insights and advice; you've really made my first week of 'kittenhood' a lot easier.:o

Advertisement