Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Compact or Triple Chainset?

• 21-09-2010 3:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭

Hi! Hope you are all well! I am in the process of buying a racing bike for apprx 2k. I plan to do a lot of cycling in Ireland & cycle up the French Alps( d'Huez, Galibier etc) the Canaries ( Mount Teide) for 2/3 trips each year.
    So would you recommend getting a triple or compact? Some of the Alpine climbs are over 12% gradient-might be too steep for a compact?

I hear modern compact setups have a bigger range of gears,lighter & easier to maintain!

Thanks for reading- I appreciate your feedback,

Arequipa

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,461 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

i rode in the jura this year and i was thankful that i had a triple !

but i am an overweight slob

its not the 12% the kills you its when it kicks up after 20km to that !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

triple. for ireland a double but for your madness you'll need a triple.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Billycake

I'm in the French Alps as I write having done the Galibier, Izoard etc in the last few days and I ride a compact when I'm here. Never had a problem but I do specifically train year round for my trips like this (and I have this strange liking for the peculiar pain associated with hard climbs - as do lots of cyclists I know). I'm here for two more weeks and will squeeze in a few more climbs while I'm at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Arequipa

Thank you for replying! I like the look of a a compact, think it is lighter & easier to maintain?! From what I remember of Alpe d'Huez- on a few bends I defo needed the granny gear.
    Do most pro riders use compacts now?
    I suppose they have such power & fitness that they can use the compact up in the mountains?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭tfrancer

I will not be climbing any Alps but has anyone had any experience yet of the SRAM Apex groupset? You have a choice of compact or double crankset, up to 32 teeth on the rear cassette, short or mid/long cage rear derailleur and crank-lengths up to 180mm. Apparently SRAM say that the 34/32 front/rear combo renders triples redundant. Chainreaction Cycles are selling the groupset at present but do not appear to have the 11 - 32 cassette available (or the mid/long rd at present).

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Kits.aspx?ModelID=51959

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Triple

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭High Nellie

it's not possible to advise without you giving an indication of your weight and level of fitness etc.
    It's a compact if you are fit enough and a triple if you are not.
    The SRAM compact with up to 32 tooth gear sounds like a good compact option at first. However, it has been pointed out that on the long climbs one of the most important things is to have the 'right' gear - this may not be avialable with the big jumps with that SRAM.
    Go for a compact with 27 rear if you are light and fit, and a triple otherwise. If it's the latter, I don't think there is much point in spending up to 2k on a light machine.

Advertisement