Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Barclays best ever premier league XI

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Gerrard? Fúck sake.
    Terry? Fúck off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

pay no attention.

it has 6 Englishmen.

automatically means it's boll*x.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭timetogetfit

Keane>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Gerrard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

baz2009 wrote: »
    Gerrard? Fúck sake.

Gerrard is the most complete midfielder to have played in the Prem imo.

Bergkamp >>>>>>>>>>>> Cantona btw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Least they got the Keeper right :cool:

• Advertisement

Xavi6 wrote: »

Bergamp >>>>>>>>>>>> Cantona btw

Rubbish talk, the fact Xabi Alonso isn't at Liverpool anymore with the state they are in and is much better player then SG just proves how inadequate SG is in CM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

No Shearer :confused:

Henry is the only player that would get in a best united premiership 11, the proof is the amount of times they have won it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

I would definetly have Roy Keane and Viera ahead of him.

Id probably have Ashley Cole ahead of Evra, even though hes a ****!

Rubbish talk, the fact Xabi Alonso isn't at Liverpool anymore with the state they are in and is much better player then SG just proves how inadequate SG is in CM

You do realise that Gerrard played for Liverpool and won plenty of trophies before Alonso arrived right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,468 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Dancor wrote: »
    No Shearer :confused:

thought that was odd myself.

On records, I'd have gone Shearer and Henry up front I reckon.

Midfield would be all United though, Scholes Keane and Giggs are easy picks for me, then it would be a choice between Ronaldo and Pires; with me going for Ronaldo.

Defence would be Neville, Adams and Cole as certainties, not sure who I would give the other spot to. Campbel, Ferdinand, Terry, Stam, Hypia etc - all good shouts. Schmeichel in goals for me as well, I think Seaman would run him closest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

No Shearer and Keane.

Not valid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Saw this earlier. No Shearer means it can be instantly ignored.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Ashley Cole, Bergkamp and Keane should definitely be in there

You do realise that Gerrard played for Liverpool and won plenty of trophies before Alonso arrived right?

He is also hyped up to the last by the english media, its still baffling to them why england dont have the best midfield in the world with stevy G and F lamp when they reality they are light years behind true great midfielders

Steve gerards best position is just behind a striker and just ahead of a midfield 2, thats where he played when liverpool almost won the league 2 years ago, with Torres in front of him and alonso and mascherano just behind

He is also hyped up to the last by the english media, its still baffling to them why england dont have the best midfield in the world with stevy G and F lamp when they reality they are light years behind true great midfielders

Steve gerards best position is just behind a striker and just ahead of a midfield 2, thats where he played when liverpool almost won the league 2 years ago, with Torres in front of him and alonso and mascherano just behind

In later years I agree. Between 01 and 05 roughly though I think he was the epitome of the box to box midfielder and was a joy to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,328 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Well they are no good at banking,

and they are no good at picking the best ever Premier League XI

There must be some terms and conditions that are very hard to find that have ruled out some of the greatest players to grace the Premier League.

In later years I agree. Between 01 and 05 roughly though I think he was the epitome of the box to box midfielder and was a joy to watch.

it makes me happy that a non-Pool fan has acknowledged this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 692 ✭✭✭gleep

Evra? Bollix.

No Shearer? Bollix.

GARY FUKCIN NEVILLE? MEBOLLIX

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

the team is made up of people who were voted for by topflight customers .... obviously they have a fair amount of young manchester fans !!

granted the Utd team in the 90's would feature heavily -but the players of today would not really compete with some of the players at the start of the premier league.

you cant have a premier league top XI without Alan Shearer, apart from that theres a lot to choose from - names like paulo di canio , tony adams , gianfranco zola...etc etc - even players like Jari litmanen, jan aage fjortoft and klinsman should be considered (even for the bench - just for what they brought to the game)

there were plenty of workhorse players in the early 90s - a lot of whom will never get the recognition they deserved.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭PJTierney

Schmeichel: Yes

Neville: Yes
    Terry: Yes
    Adams: Yes
    Evra: I'm sure there's a better left back..

Beckham: Yes
    Scholes: Yes
    Gerrard: No, Keane instead.
    Giggs: Yes.

Henry: Yes.
    Cantona: No, Shearer.

Not a bad list, just iffy on 3 spots really. (I'm a Man U fan btw)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

Surprised Jamie didn't make it himself tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

gleep wrote:
    GARY FUKCIN NEVILLE? MEBOLLIX

That's surely the most obvious one of all. If you can name a better PL right-back I'll be very impressed.

Regards this XI, it stinks of bias with seven British in there. Not being biased as an Irishman, or United fan, when I say Keane beats Gerrard every time. For me in the pantheon of great midfielders it's Keane first, Vieira a close second, and the likes of Gerrard, Lampard behind. The battles of Keane and Vieira were always heavyweight tussles and have yet to be matched imo.

Also Irwin should be in ahead of Evra who hasn't surpassed him yet. Irwin could play either side, use both feet equally well, provide more assists than Evra and score from free kicks and penalties.

I'd probably have Bergkamp in there too. At his peak he was phenomenal. If he'd been at Barca at the time he would have been hailed as the world's best probably. Shearer merits a spot too.

right then, i'll be the first to actually post the team i think it 'should' be...even though i've probably posted this team before in one of the many threads like this...

Schmeichel
    Neville----Adams----Hyypia
    Cole
    Ronaldo---Keane---Scholes
    Giggs
    Henry---Shearer

easy.

Schmeichel wins easily enough, but Seaman was Mr Reliable unless he was in an England shirt at a WC. so he runs him close-ish.

Hyypia is biased as f*ck, but i have serious man-love for him. in reality, i'd probably put Campbell, Carvalho or Rio in there.

Giggs is pushed close by the couple of mental seasons Pires had at Arsenal, but Giggs has to just about win based on longevity.

Henry and Shearer are miles in front as far as i'm concerned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

My team would be close enough, but a few changes:
    Schmeichel
    Neville--Adams--Ferdinand--Cole
    Ronaldo--Keane--Scholes--Giggs
    Henry----Shearer

Having a brain fart with CB, but Ferdinand is better than Terry, imo, who is vastly overrated.
    Difficult leaving Beckham, Cantona, RVN, Bergkamp and Zola out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

Bergkamp >>>>>>>>>>>> Cantona btw

Bergkamp was the first name for me that was missing. Zola was voted the best foreigner player in the Premier league and he some how misses out :rolleyes:

That's surely the most obvious one of all. If you can name a better PL right-back I'll be very impressed.

Lee Dixon

Schmeichel

Beckham
    Keane
    Vieira
    Giggs

Gerrard
    Scholes

Ronaldo
    Bergkamp
    Henry

Shearer

Accomodating players ftw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

Matt Le Tissier- my favourite player to ever play in the PL.

• Advertisement

the first person to type out a team of Gary Breens gets banned...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

SlickRic wrote: »
    pay no attention.

it has 6 Englishmen.

automatically means it's boll*x.

But yet they chose Cantona over Alan Shearer.

In fact, the top two goalscorers in Premiership history, both English and with almost 450 between them, were overlooked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Andy Cole has to have a serious shout FFS. I'd arguably have him and Shearer instead of Henry. Or indeed go 4-3-3

In which case

Schmeichel
    Finnan
    Adams----Hyypia----Cole
    Beckham
    Vieira/Keane
    Giggs
    Henry

Shearer
    A Cole

There you go, an all scoring, all defending, ball winning team to challenge all.

Can't decide on CM. But one or the other.

My RB decision may be a little Irish/Liverpool biased ;)

Here goes then, feck it

Schmeichel
    Dixon----Adams----Carragher
    Irwin
    Juninho---Keane---Scholes
    Giggs
    Henry---Shearer

Carragher wasn't himself last year, but IMHO he is 5 times the defender Rio is. Complete consistencey and commitment, with no lack of skill, born to defend and a proper example of how it should be done.

Irwin just shades Cole because he was so good for so long and came up with big performances in big games.

Dixon ahead of Neville? Every day. Neville was always suspect, always had to resort to cynical fouls, he just got away with it because he played for Man U. True story.

Remember the wee Brazilian at Middlesboro? He was feckin mesmerising. And no prima-donna, he fought as hard as Keane and had the skills of Ronaldo (almost). He raised the standard of every game he played in and you actually wanted to see him do well, that's why he goes in ahead of C.Ronaldo.

Shearer is a must. Then either Henry, Zola, Bergkamp, Andy Cole, Fowler and I'd say Drogba's up there now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

I'd be in agreement with you Xavi6, pointless argument.

Schmeichel:

Irwin:
    Vidic
    Carvalho
    A Cole

Beckham
    Scholes
    Keane
    Giggs

Henry
    Shearer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Andy Cole has to have a serious shout FFS. I'd arguably have him and Shearer instead of Henry. Or indeed go 4-3-3

im a united fan and have great time for the guy, but no, no he shouldnt...he had as many bad years at united (first 3) as he had good years(last 3)

ronaldo has to be on it. in fact, considering he was world player of the year during his 6 year spell, he surely would deserve a place on the all time english league 11. surely there aint been more than 11 world player of the years playing in the english top flight?

irwin also has to be in there, i would put him in before neville.

beckham, scholes and giggs have to be in, which means its between viera and keane and surely keane gets it?

would have ronaldo then and another up top from cantona,shearer, rooney, henry, bergkamp and drogba.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,135 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

That has to be the most retarded thing I've ever read on the soccer forum. How can anyone be serious when they say they would have Andy Cole in a team ahead of Thierry Henry?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

PCPhoto wrote: »
    the team is made up of people who were voted for by topflight customers .... obviously they have a fair amount of young manchester fans !!

granted the Utd team in the 90's would feature heavily -but the players of today would not really compete with some of the players at the start of the premier league.

you cant have a premier league top XI without Alan Shearer, apart from that theres a lot to choose from - names like paulo di canio , tony adams , gianfranco zola...etc etc - even players like Jari litmanen, jan aage fjortoft and klinsman should be considered (even for the bench - just for what they brought to the game)

there were plenty of workhorse players in the early 90s - a lot of whom will never get the recognition they deserved.

Come off it ffs. We're talking about the cream of the crop here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

Surprised some people are mentioning Backham. While a decent winger, it was just the media that made people believe that he was actually world class. he was nowhere near it. remember for most of the season before he left, Sloskjaer was keeping him out of the team thanks to his great performances on the right wing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

Too many players to choose from really for these things to ever make complete sense, some positions are easier than others.

The keeper is almost a shoe-in and Schmeichel has to be top of the list although it could be argued that Seamen runs him close and in a few more years Reina will be able to argue his case given his form for the last few years.

Right back is between Neville & Dixon and I think Neville takes it on the back of ability and duration really.

Left back imo comes down to Irwin/Cole/Evra, and at the moment I'd have Irwin there but again Cole & Evra both have genuine claims on it.

At CB you've a wealth of choices, Adams/Terry/Ferdinand/Hypia are probably the stand out players but there's another half dozen that might feel hard done by.

RM simply has to be Ronaldo there's no justification for not having him in the team, despite it leaving a lot of really good players on the sideline

Similarly I think LM has to be Giggs both for his ability and his consistency

CM could be any two of Scholes/Gerrard/Keane/Lampard/Viera but as a pair I'd have Scholes & Keane

Up front Henry & Shearer for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

I'd go with;

Schmeichel

-Neville----Ferdinand
    Adams
    Cole-

Keane
    Scholes
    Vieira

Bergkamp
    Henry
    Giggs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

Surprised some people are mentioning Backham. While a decent winger, it was just the media that made people believe that he was actually world class. he was nowhere near it. remember for most of the season before he left, Sloskjaer was keeping him out of the team thanks to his great performances on the right wing.

in his last season for united he played over fifty times

he only did this one other time in his united career. The last season was his second highest for appearances.

So you're wrong there chief

And saying he was only decent, jaysus!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

For me its

Schmeichel

Irwin
    Adams
    Ferdinand
    Cole

Ronaldo--Scholes----Keane---Giggs

henry----shearer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

No DB10? I'll get my coat...

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Dixon played until he was 38 and made 458 league appearances for Arsenal. You can argue Neville was a better defender fair enough, but he'd be doing well to match Dixon in the longevity department (35 and is just shy of 400 apps).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Schmeichel
    Neville Adams Stam Evra
    Ronaldo Keane Scholes Giggs
    Henry Cantona

*May include serious bias.

Also on the arguement of my inclusion of Jaap Stam was that in his brief spell in the premier league he is the second best defender of my life, IMO, after Maldini.
    Obviously many will disagree but no one could doubt the man's class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

Dixon played until he was 38 and made 458 league appearances for Arsenal. You can argue Neville was a better defender fair enough, but he'd be doing well to match Dixon in the longevity department (35 and is just shy of 400 apps).

Fair point, and I was being specific to Premier League years when I put that up but was doing Dixon a dis-service in terms of when I thought he retired.

10 or so premier league years isn't to be sniffed at and it's a fairly close call between himself and Neville for RB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,525 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

The love affair with Henry continues.

I don't think any serious football fan would even consider John Terry as being anywhere near the best defender in the league currently, never mind of all time.
    These lists are always daft.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

nullzero wrote: »
    The love affair with Henry continues.

Rofl! Ya, how biased of us to entertain the notion of including arguably the best and most consistent performer in world football from 1999 to 2010.

eZe^ wrote: »
    Rofl! Ya, how biased of us to entertain the notion of including arguably the best and most consistent performer in world football from 1999 to 2010.

Player of the 00's if you fuse brilliance with consistency.

he's more of a shoo-in than Ronaldo, Scholes, Keane, Giggs and Schmeichel IMO; and that's saying an awful lot.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Schmeichel
    Dixon Campbell Pallister Cole
    Gerrard Keane Scholes
    Ronaldo Shearer Henry

... but I do change my mind every 5 minutes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement