Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Barclays best ever premier league XI

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Anyone that doesn't have Bergkamp is wrong. Probably a terrorist too.

Crap team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

gleep wrote: »
    Lee Dixon

Lee Dixon - 4 titles, 22 England caps, 1 PFA Team of the Year appearance.

Gary Neville - 8 titles, 85 England caps, 5 PFA Team of the Year appearances.

Dixon might be a nicer person but Neville is by far the better footballer. There was never a clamour for Dixon to replace Neville in the England line-up because they recognised Neville was the better of the two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭timetogetfit

this is the best ever team in the epl, this team would take some stopping im surprised no one has mentioned makelele or drogba and im a united fan

schmeikcal

neville
    vidic
    carvalho
    irwin

makelele

keane
    scholes

ronaldo
    Henry

Drogba

imagine that in europe

• Registered Users Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭JohnnyRyan99

I no so many say Gerrard is over rated and perhaps the last few years he has been... But Ronaldo had 6 years in the Prem and i feel he most definitely deserves to be in the team!

Which leads me to Gerrard, who IMO has had at least 6 really great seasons for Liverpool, 4 of which were probably outstanding and as good as anyone has ever been! Gerreard and Ronaldo have to be in the team for me. These two players alone seemed to be able to drag their own teams through tough times consistantly for many years.

For me there is only a handfull of players in the world who have done as much for their respective teams as Gerrard has done for Pool. Gerrard stays in for me and Ron definitely comes in for Becks!

BTW, i cant stand Gerrard...:)

Dennis Irwin? Really?

I no so many say Gerrard is over rated and perhaps the last few years he has been... But Ronaldo had 6 years in the Prem and i feel he most definitely deserves to be in the team!

Which leads me to Gerrard, who IMO has had at least 6 really great seasons for Liverpool, 4 of which were probably outstanding and as good as anyone has ever been! Gerreard and Ronaldo have to be in the team for me. These two players alone seemed to be able to drag their own teams through tough times consistantly for many years.

For me there is only a handfull of players in the world who have done as much for their respective teams as Gerrard has done for Pool. Gerrard stays in for me and Ron definitely comes in for Becks!

BTW, i cant stand Gerrard...:)

Your forgetting one major point, the competition Ronaldo has for right midfield pales in comparison to the competition Gerard has, as good as Gerard may have been he was behind Keane , Viera and Scholes

Dennis Irwin? Really?

yes ,really, just isn't sexy enough for some

Your forgetting one major point, the competition Ronaldo has for right midfield pales in comparison to the competition Gerard has, as good as Gerard may have been he was behind Keane , Viera and Scholes
    I didnt forget it, Gerrard and Scholes for me. I know clearly lads will have Keane in there and thats fine i could completely see why, But my Midfield would be Ronaldo, Gerrard, Scholes, Giggs.

I didnt forget it, Gerrard and Scholes for me. I know clearly lads will have Keane in there and thats fine i could completely see why, But my Midfield would be Ronaldo, Gerrard, Scholes, Giggs.

if as you say you can see why? then what is that reason and why doyou still have gerard in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Schmeichel

--Dixon
    Adams
    Terry
    Cole----

Keane
    Viera

--Ronaldo
    Scholes
    Giggs--

Henry

If 4-4-2. Id probably drop Viera and add in Shearer.

if as you say you can see why? then what is that reason and why doyou still have gerard in?

Thats ridiculous, i can see why lads would have Keane in, a great player, great heart, im saying i'd accept if someone's opinion differed to mine(something you obviously cant seem to do) because at the end of the day it is just personal opinion... But hold on and read this,... For me Gerrard makes it in. When he was playing as a box to box midfielder, what he contributed to both attack and defense was outstanding, and what he did for Liverpool i dont think any other Premier League player has done as much for their own clubs, considering the mediocre players he was sometimes surrounded with, it was astonishing the level he was consitantly able to play at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Dixon might be a nicer person but Neville is by far the better footballer. There was never a clamour for Dixon to replace Neville in the England line-up because they recognised Neville was the better of the two.

By far? Really? Neville played in a more successful team, but there really isn't much between the two!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

That might have been partly to do with Dixon being 31 by the time Neville got his first cap.

Two players from somewhat different eras, playing in very different teams.

L'prof wrote: »
    By far? Really? Neville played in a more successful team, but there really isn't much between the two!

Consider this, in the list of all time PL assists Gary Neville, a right-back, ranks in 33rd spot with 23 assists. That's above the likes of Berbatov, Kuyt, Anelka, Kewell.

Dixon's ranking? 573rd. His assists numbers a total of 3.

I'm not saying Dixon is a bad player. He was very good. Easily top five. However Neville beats him in almost every way. Better player going forward, better defensive mind imo as Neville could play centre-back well too, more caps for his country and so on.

I think those leaving him out are letting his personality influence their opinion. Either that or they never paid attention to what he contributed to United.
    That might have been partly to do with Dixon being 31 by the time Neville got his first cap.

Two players from somewhat different eras, playing in very different teams.

It's not different eras. At the time of Arsenal's successful period Dixon was first choice for them yet Neville made England's first team for the World Cup and further from that.

Shearer and Bergkamp are shoe ins.

One being the best striker ever in the premiership and the other the most talanted player imo to play ball in England since '92.

• Advertisement

Consider this, in the list of all time PL assists Gary Neville, a right-back, ranks in 33rd spot with 23 assists. That's above the likes of Berbatov, Kuyt, Anelka, Kewell.

Dixon's ranking? 573rd. His assists numbers a total of 3.

I'm not saying Dixon is a bad player. He was very good. Easily top five. However Neville beats him in almost every way. Better player going forward, better defensive mind imo as Neville could play centre-back well too, more caps for his country and so on.

I think those leaving him out are letting his personality influence their opinion. Either that or they never paid attention to what he contributed to United.

its all the liverpool fans, they just can't stand him

Lee Dixon has almost 5 times as many league goals as Neville.

Interesting international caps stat: at the age of 28, Shaun Wright-Phillips already has more caps than his dad, while Joe Cole has 2 more than Stanley Matthews.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

false.

people have a differing opinion.

and the ones arguing Dixon support Arsenal.

and the one you were arguing with about Keane/Gerrard...he's Man City.

so try again....

It's not different eras. At the time of Arsenal's successful period Dixon was first choice for them yet Neville made England's first team for the World Cup and further from that.

Full-backs bombing forward is the norm these days, how common was it from '88-'02? That's the only thing that jumps out at me when you throw out those assist stats. I'd consider Dixon the better defender of the two to be honest. As for English caps? Some people just get very unlucky because of players in their position, managers and all that.

SlickRic wrote: »
    false.

so try again....

I'm not arguing for Dixon to be included, just that there's isn't a massive gulf between himself and Neville.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,788 ✭✭✭Benimar

Schmeichel

Neville
    Campbell
    Adams
    Cole

Ronaldo
    Keane
    Scholes
    Giggs

Bergkamp
    Shearer

I'd put Cole ahead of Evra, but thats personal choice, some would go the other way.

Ronaldo and Pires (off the top of my head) are better than Beckham. As a Liverpool and Ireland fan I have a serious dislike for Roy but as a player he is streets ahead of Stevie, as is Vieira.

Anyone who doesn't pick Shearer is having a laugh. Bergkamp is pure class and would walk into any team. Cantona only played 5 seasons in the PL, and I would probably put Zola in ahead of him. Henry would miss out due to the class of Shearer and Bergkamp .

Successful periods... and Lee Dixon started playing football in 1982. There was some overlap, but Dixon was still plenty past the wrong side of 30 by the time Terry Venables and Glenn Hoddle decided they preferred Neville (which isn't exactly much of an argument in itself, frankly).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

false.

so try again....

It's not false we can't stand him though :pac:

Lee Dixon has almost 5 times as many league goals as Neville.

Interesting international caps stat: at the age of 28, Shaun Wright-Phillips already has more caps than his dad, while Joe Cole has 2 more than Stanley Matthews.

Yes he beats him on the goal statistic but generally you would expect a right-back to set up chances rather than score. In their careers their goals stats are both pretty dire. Dixon tends to make fun of it when on TV anyway. I'm sure even he however would acknowledge Neville's assists are quite a feather in his cap.
    L'Prof wrote:
    Full-backs bombing forward is the norm these days, how common was it from '88-'02? That's the only thing that jumps out at me when you throw out those assist stats. I'd consider Dixon the better defender of the two to be honest. As for English caps? Some people just get very unlucky because of players in their position, managers and all that.

Ah now here the words straws and clutching comes to mind. Going forward and contributing was what Denis Irwin did often as a left-back in the same period. Luck? Surely if Dixon was the better defender then the England managers, the players themselves who voted for Neville to make the PFA Teams of the Year in the period Dixon played, and England fans generally would have been clamouring for Neville to be dropped for Dixon?

It didn't happen. Neville was as secure in his position as Ashley Cole is at left-back these days.

Better record of contributing goals, more caps when both were at the most successful teams in the country, more medals, more individual accolades...exactly what is the argument for Dixon being better than Neville?
    Successful periods... and Lee Dixon started playing football in 1982. There was some overlap, but Dixon was still plenty past the wrong side of 30 by the time Terry Venables and Glenn Hoddle decided they preferred Neville (which isn't exactly much of an argument in itself, frankly).

Are you saying that you would include Dixon based on his performances pre-Wenger? That prior to Wenger's arrival Dixon was better than Neville in the United team of the nineties?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

God McGrath was better than all mentioned CBs combined!

23 assists and 5 goals against 24 goals and 3 assists. If Dixon's goal record is dire then I don't see how Neville's assist record isn't dire too.

what is the argument for Dixon being better than Neville?

Where did I say better? You're trying to suggest that Neville was better than Dixon by a long, long way when in in reality, he simply wasn't.

Anyway, I notice Sagna has an assist rate of 1 every 10 games, so I take it all back. Sagna for RB!! :p

JPA wrote: »

Not in the Premier League.

L'Prof wrote:
    Where did I say better? You're trying to suggest that Neville was better than Dixon by a long, long way when in in reality, he simply wasn't.

In fairness I've shown Neville was the established England right-back when both played for the two best teams in the land, that he contributed more in an attacking sense, and was rated higher by his peers than Dixon was. What more proves that Neville is on a level of his own? Yeah Dixon scored more but you wouldn't put goal potential high on the list when choosing between these two.

Again I'm not trashing Dixon. I rate him but I feel Neville is a pretty much automatic spot for the reasons I've given.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,525 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

eZe^ wrote: »
    Rofl! Ya, how biased of us to entertain the notion of including arguably the best and most consistent performer in world football from 1999 to 2010.

What a daft comment to make.
    Henry was a good player, but in fairness when you look at the history of the premier league, surely Alan Shearer (love him or hate him) is better value for money as one of the two best ever forwards in the leagues history?

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

pay no attention.

it has 6 Englishmen.

automatically means it's boll*x.

Would not agree with Terry and Gerrard but the other four can't really argue with , possibly might have gone with Dixon at right back and Cole at left back, why no John O'Shea though :p

JPA wrote: »

How long did he play in the premier league for? I would not say he is better than TA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Not in the Premier League.
    OPENROAD wrote: »
    How long did he play in the premier league for? I would not say he is better than TA.

Well he did win player of the year in the first year of the Premier League, a rare achievement for a defender and played in the league for 4 years.

But why are things constrained by a corporation deciding to rename the league?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

This thread makes me wanna play CM4 :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

The lack of Hyypia is astounding. Only seven Man Utd players :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Mister men wrote: »
    The lack of Hyypia is astounding. Only seven Man Utd players :rolleyes:

You can't be for serious about Hyypia?
    Well United have won 11 out of 18 PL titles, so why wouldn't there be 7 United players in there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

the only two united players you can argue is cantona and evra imo neither should be there. evra is brilliant but ashley cole is better and cantona is one of the most over rated players ever to play in the premiership. dont get me wrong he was very good just nowhere near the esteem he is held in.

actually id have ronaldo in ahead beckham but that would be still the same amount of utd players

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

redzerdrog wrote: »
    the only two united players you can argue is cantona and evra imo neither should be there. evra is brilliant but ashley cole is better and cantona is one of the most over rated players ever to play in the premiership. dont get me wrong he was very good just nowhere near the esteem he is held in.

actually id have ronaldo in ahead beckham but that would be still the same amount of utd players

Evra is debateable, Irwin or Cole would be in with a shout, Cole would get the nod, though, imo.
    Keane should be in for Gerrard, imo and most would agree.

I'd have Shearer and Bergkamp ahead of Cantona.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Schmichel
    Sanga
    Pallister
    Adams
    Pearse
    Pires
    Beckham
    Viera
    Giggs
    Bergkamp

Drogba

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭darragh16

The reason Cantona is in the squad (in my opinion) is because of his part in the renaissance of Man United. When he signed in late 92' United were a distance behind in the title race, they went on a great run inspired by Cantona. He was basically the powerhouse driving United forward over the next few years. He got 64 goals in 5 years as well as numerous assists....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

Cantona's greatness is due to the intangibles as much as much as anything else. Perhaps that's why some can't see it.

Anyway, Premier League XI

Schmeichel

Irwin
    Rio
    Stam
    Evra

Beckham
    Keane
    Scholes
    Giggs

Ronaldo
    Cantona

:pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Henry is the only player that would get in a best united premiership 11, the proof is the amount of times they have won it

yeah bergkamp and lampard dont even deserve mentions. here what wall you hitting your head off nowadays? theres this one i smack my head off every so often but its a bit too bricky for me. id like just a plain old concrete one if you know of any

Schmeichel

-Neville(shudder)--adams-stam--Cole(shudder.. what is it with fullbacks?)-

-Ronaldo---Scholes----Veira----Giggs--

Henry
    Shearer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Name Changed

No Roy Keane? Then it's not the best ever premier league XI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Schmeichel - Agree, an easy choice

Neville - Agree.
    Terry - Debatable. A few other options here.
    Adams - Agreed
    Evra - No. I'd give it to Ashley Cole.

Beckham - No. Brilliant in 99 but overrated otherwise. Should be Ronaldo, though the likes of Pires, Zola or Gerrard could be slotted in here either.
    Scholes - Agreed. No argument here.
    Gerrard - No. Roy Keane simply has to be in. Love him or hate him he was an immense player and would be a candidate for best/most influential player in the 18 yrs of the PL.
    Giggs - An automatic choice for me. 11 PL medals. Enough said.

Henry - Agreed. For a few seasons at Arsenal he was unmarkable and his goalscoring record speaks for itself.
    Cantona - No. Alan Shearer is the most complete striker to have played in the PL, and as good as Cantona was Shearer would walk into any team of any era.

That makes my team

Schmeichel

Neville - Adams - AN Other - A Cole

Ronaldo - Scholes - Keane - Giggs

Shearer - Henry

Surprised nobody has mentioned Colin Hendry as a CB option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Im surprised there hasnt been more shouts for Van Nistelrooy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Bergkamp >>>>> Giggs. Just because someone has played in the PL for donkeys years does not mean they should automatically get in. Berkgamp was more talented than Giggs and should defo get in the team. He was in the Top 3 of all time in the PL. Awesome talent. The midfield should be Keane, Scholes/Gerrard, Berkgamp and Ronaldo, 2 strikers - Henry and Shearer. There is nothing between Scholes and Gerrard.

Ashley Cole is definitely better than Evra and Gary Neville's inclusion highlights the lack of world-class right-backs in the PL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Esse85 wrote: »
    Im surprised there hasnt been more shouts for Van Nistelrooy.

Van Nistelrooy played in probably United's least successful team in the Premier Leagues history. We won one Premier League title in RvN's stay at OT. If Shearer, Cantona, Henry and Bergkamp weren't around there would be serious argument for van Nistelrooy's inclusion.

Also Cole v Evra is a toss up for me. I'd give a shout for Evra, but that could just be my bias.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

The team isnt that bad in my opinion -

though mine would be:

...........Schmeichel

Neville - Adams - Sol Campbell - A Cole

..........Shearer - Henry

Oranage2 wrote: »
    The team isnt that bad in my opinion -

though mine would be:

...........Schmeichel

Neville - Adams - Sol Campbell - A Cole

..........Shearer - Henry

+1 for Campbell

Still feel he has been a very underrated defender with other English cbs getting more credit.

• Advertisement
Advertisement