Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Barclays best ever premier league XI

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Warper wrote: »
    Bergkamp >>>>> Giggs. Just because someone has played in the PL for donkeys years does not mean they should automatically get in. Berkgamp was more talented than Giggs and should defo get in the team. He was in the Top 3 of all time in the PL. Awesome talent. The midfield should be Keane, Scholes/Gerrard, Berkgamp and Ronaldo, 2 strikers - Henry and Shearer. There is nothing between Scholes and Gerrard.

Ashley Cole is definitely better than Evra and Gary Neville's inclusion highlights the lack of world-class right-backs in the PL.

Seriously? You can't put Bergkamp left mid. Sure why don't we just stick in Viera in at RB just to accommodate him? Why not put Keane in as a RM? Why not put Shearer in as a striker?

You can't just accommodate players. Also Giggs>>>>>>>>>>Bergkamp.

Also lol at "Gary Neville's inclusion highlights the lack of world-class right-backs in the PL." What a joke of a statement. If you can't see he was a class right back then you don't know much at all about football, but I think you already demonstrated that with your Bergkamp at left mid statement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

JPA wrote: »

But why are things constrained by a corporation deciding to rename the league?

Because that's the topic at hand? Maybe make a 'Best Top Flight Team Ever' thread and then the likes of McGrath might stand a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

OPENROAD wrote: »
    +1 for Campbell

Still feel he has been a very underrated defender with other English cbs getting more credit.

A lot of people forget how good he was just because he's so crap now - the time his contract ran out at spurs he was rated one of the best CBs in the world - It's the same a G. Neville, around 98 - 2005 he was one of the best right backs in the world

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

I would personally go with Henry and Bergkamp up front

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Jaap Stam was also a brilliant centre-back. I remember Dunphy in one of his enlightening quotes "he is nothing but a cart-horse" but Stam was one tough defender in his prime. Vidic is in the same mould and would be pushing Terry for the other CB spot alongside Adams.

Jaap Stam was also a brilliant centre-back. I remember Dunphy in one of his enlightening quotes "he is nothing but a cart-horse" but Stam was one tough defender in his prime. Vidic is in the same mould and would be pushing Terry for the other CB spot alongside Adams.

Is Terry that good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Is Terry that good?

I think Terry is a serious case of English overratedness, tbh.

baz2009 wrote: »

To an extent, people seem to rate him here also, but when I think about the likes of Keown, Adams and Campbell, purely concentrating on Arsenal cbs, I don't think he is even close to those three.

If we were going for a Chelsea defender I would put Carvalho ahead of him. I think he was a far better defender.

To an extent, people seem to rate him here also, but when I think about the likes of Keown, Adams and Campbell, purely concentrating on Arsenal cbs, I don't think he is even close to those three.

I hate Keown with a passion, but I was considering him alongside Adams in my XI, Campbell never even entered my mind, probably because he has tailed off so badly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭larchielads

schmeichel keane and shearer should def be in there i know schmeichel is but the other 2 should be for sure and i dont care what anyone says ronaldo should def be in it he's the only player to get world player of the year while playing in the league, to be honest i dont think the league had another world player of the year in it(as in former world player then signed by prem club or a player to be sold from prem club and then get the award). since the pem league started no prem league player ever won the award they've all been playin in italy or spain afaik

Le King wrote: »
    Seriously? You can't put Bergkamp left mid. Sure why don't we just stick in Viera in at RB just to accommodate him? Why not put Keane in as a RM? Why not put Shearer in as a striker?

Also lol at "Gary Neville's inclusion highlights the lack of world-class right-backs in the PL." What a joke of a statement. If you can't see he was a class right back then you don't know much at all about football, but I think you already demonstrated that with your Bergkamp at left mid statement.

Eh?? Who said anything about Berkgamp at LM? This is not about tactical formations - the Barclays team is Beckham, Scholes, Giggs and Gerrard in midfield which would get slaughtered these days, who in that bunch can actually tackle? Berkgamp was a better player than Giggs, always was and always will be. If youre getting all specific about formations, then I'm sure we can accomodate Gerrard at LM and play Berkgamp through the middle, just off the strikers.

Gary Neville never made a World XI and never will. He was a quality RB but never anything special. He was no Maicon or Cafu and the fact he was playing for a solid Utd backline made him look a lot better than he actually was. Irwin was a better fullback than Gary Neville.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

You could actually make this up purely of united players no?

Schmeichel
    Neville
    Bruce
    Vidic
    Irwin
    Beckham----Keane
    Scholes
    Giggs

Cantona
    Ronaldo

(gotta get Ronaldo in somehow! and would be a shame to leave out Becks)

Could also include
    Evra
    Rio
    Pally
    VDS
    RVN
    Rooney
    Stam
    Sheringham? hmmm.....

Is Terry that good?

Ya prob not - he is lacking pace behind. As someone said Keown would nearly be ahead of him. Hard to argue with the Keown/Adams CB pairing.

kryogen wrote: »

Schmeichel
    Neville
    Bruce
    Vidic
    Irwin
    Beckham----Keane
    Scholes
    Giggs

Cantona
    Ronaldo

(gotta get Ronaldo in somehow! and would be a shame to leave out Becks)

Or Arsenal :)

Seaman
    Dixon
    Adams
    Campbell
    Cole
    Ljungberg----Vieira
    Fabregas
    Pires

Henry
    Bergkamp--

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

also, any best prem 11 that doesnt include Keane is ****, but will still get people talking

Eh?? Who said anything about Berkgamp at LM? This is not about tactical formations - the Barclays team is Beckham, Scholes, Giggs and Gerrard in midfield which would get slaughtered these days, who in that bunch can actually tackle? Berkgamp was a better player than Giggs, always was and always will be. If youre getting all specific about formations, then I'm sure we can accomodate Gerrard at LM and play Berkgamp through the middle, just off the strikers.

Gary Neville never made a World XI and never will. He was a quality RB but never anything special. He was no Maicon or Cafu and the fact he was playing for a solid Utd backline made him look a lot better than he actually was. Irwin was a better fullback than Gary Neville.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

schemeichel
    Gerrard----stam----Desailly---Riise-

asprilla----Keane---Alonso----Giggs

Ronaldo

Shearer

:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Bergkamp >>>>> Giggs. Just because someone has played in the PL for donkeys years does not mean they should automatically get in. Berkgamp was more talented than Giggs and should defo get in the team.

You're completely underestimating what Giggs has achieved and just how good he was (and he still aint bad). People are not just selecting him on longevity alone. Giggs was a great player in his day, many defenders commented on what a nightmare he was to mark. And it will be a long long time before anyone gets near his record of 11 PL titles. His inclusion is 100% merited and few would argue otherwise.

Don't get me wrong I think Bergkamp was a superb player and I really wanted to include him but just couldn't have him ahead of Shearer and Henry. In fairness there was pretty tough competiton for the striker positions.

• Advertisement

I think your completely missing my point. Also you hate Gary Neville, that is clear. When Maicon has been as consistent as Gary Neville for 10+ years then we can start comparisons.

Your being very harsh on the Premier League's best right back. Either way, we will have to agree to disagree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Should be
    Schemeichel
    -- Finnan -- Hyypia -- Adams -- Cole
    Ronaldo -- Scholes -- LeTisser -- Giggs
    Shearer -- Henry

Subs:
    Jaaskelainen
    Neville
    Campbell
    Gerrard
    Ginola
    Zola
    Di Canio

Don't see much wrong with that team, probably should have put Neville in the XI but the fact that I don't like him and IMO at their peaks Finnan was better, so Stevie won it. Would have liked to have put Di Canio in, actually feck it I will Drogba is off the bench :D. Serious spunkfest over United in this thread, just cause you have played for the team that has won more dosn't mean you were a great player, its might mean you are a great team player or you do your shift, but you aren't suddenly a great player cause you play for United, I know I am a Liverpool fan, but Arsenal are the team I hate, so no bias here :p.

Cantona in that main team is a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭JohnnyRyan99

Reganio 2 wrote: »
    Should be
    Schemeichel
    Shearer -- Henry

Subs:
    Jaaskelainen
    Neville
    Campbell
    Gerrard
    Ginola
    Zola
    Di Canio

Don't see much wrong with that team, probably should have put Neville in the XI but the fact that I don't like him and IMO at their peaks Finnan was better, so Stevie won it. Would have liked to have put Di Canio in, actually feck it I will Drogba is off the bench :D. Serious spunkfest over United in this thread, just cause you have played for the team that has won more dosn't mean you were a great player, its might mean you are a great team player or you do your shift, but you aren't suddenly a great player cause you play for United, I know I am a Liverpool fan, but Arsenal are the team I hate, so no bias here :p.

Steve Finnan? :eek: Mods lock this thread..... We've ran our course!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

also, any best prem 11 that doesnt include Keane is ****, but will still get people talking

Toss up between Keane and Vieira for me. Not sure who I'd side with to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

Should be
    Schemeichel
    Shearer -- Henry

Subs:
    Jaaskelainen
    Neville
    Campbell
    Gerrard
    Ginola
    Zola
    Di Canio

I reckon you lose every match you play with that team. To say that one selection is a joke and then not even find a place on the bench for either Keane or Viera is ironic imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

Lack of Fowler devalues team. Inclusion of Cantona is laughable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

Mister men wrote: »
    Lack of Fowler devalues team. Inclusion of Cantona is laughable.

Oh Jesus.

This thread is a disaster.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Just noticed that Shearer scored 11 hat-tricks in the Premiership. That's over half Cantona's total, just in hat-tricks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Also Giggs>>>>>>>>>>Bergkamp.

i just saw this.

and i really hope you meant to put 'at LW' at the end of it.

because, if not, well...i just don't know...

Schmeichel
    Neville
    Bruce
    Vidic
    Irwin
    Beckham----Keane
    Scholes
    Giggs

Cantona
    Ronaldo

you could...

but it wouldn't be a best ever Premier League XI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

argosy2006 wrote: »

schemeichel
    Gerrard----stam----Desailly---Riise-

asprilla----Keane---Alonso----Giggs

Ronaldo

Shearer

:eek:

good one
    Should be
    Schemeichel
    Shearer -- Henry

Subs:
    Jaaskelainen
    Neville
    Campbell
    Gerrard
    Ginola
    Zola
    Di Canio

no keane?

laughable tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭Trashbat

Typical, Tim Flowers overlooked AGAIN :pac:

Its a tough one really as there's always an arguement between Ability and Contribution.

Cantona Vs Shearer is tricky. Cantona influenced more Trophies, but Shearer scored more goals.

Similarly it could be argued that Man Utd defenders weren't as influential on their success (considering the wealth of attacking talent they had) as Arsenal defenders. That being the case, Winterburn and Dixon were more important to a teams success than Evra and Neville.

Vieira loses out because his return to the Prem seems to have devalued his reputation somewhat, but still Vieira & Keane >>>>>> and other midfielders.

• Advertisement

aidan24326 wrote: »
    You're completely underestimating what Giggs has achieved and just how good he was (and he still aint bad). People are not just selecting him on longevity alone. Giggs was a great player in his day, many defenders commented on what a nightmare he was to mark. And it will be a long long time before anyone gets near his record of 11 PL titles. His inclusion is 100% merited and few would argue otherwise.

Don't get me wrong I think Bergkamp was a superb player and I really wanted to include him but just couldn't have him ahead of Shearer and Henry. In fairness there was pretty tough competiton for the striker positions.

I'm not underestimating Giggs at all. I know he was and still is a great player. It is hard to leave him out but I feel Berkgamp cannot be left out. You have to find a place for him somewhere in the team. Also I feel a place should be made for Gerrard. I cant think of any other player who has been so vital to a team in the PL. Liverpool without Gerrard just aint the same thing. He has been the saviour of the team so many times that he must get in.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Prufrock

Schemeichel
    -- Winterburn -- Adams -- Vidic-- Irwin---
    Scholes---Keane ---Giggs

Bergkamp

Shearer -- Cantona

But its down to personal taste. I mean there are so many great players who have played in the PL. Ronaldo, Henry, Ginola, Di Canio, Vieira the list goes on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,021 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Schmeichel
    Petrescu
    McGrath
    Vidic
    Irwin
    Viera
    Keane
    Ronaldo
    Gerrard
    Henry
    Shearer

SlickRic wrote: »
    i just saw this.

and i really hope you meant to put 'at LW' at the end of it.

Giggs is obviously a better left mid than Bergkamp, that was my point as Warper had put Bergkamp at LW. I thought that was obvious :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Schmeichel
    Neville-Terry-Adams-Cole
    Ronaldo-Scholes-Lampard-Giggs
    Drogba---Henry----

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

I decided to come up with a team containing none of the sky sports team

seaman

Finnan
    hyypia
    carvalho
    a. cole

keane
    alonso
    ronaldo
    pires
    zola

van nistelrooy

up front could easily have been berkamp and shearer or even fowler and drogba!!

just shows how bad the inclusion of cantona is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

eagle eye wrote: »

Schmeichel
    Petrescu
    McGrath
    Vidic
    Irwin

Viera
    Keane
    Ronaldo
    Gerrard
    Henry
    Shearer

that mid/attack would be sick good and still quite balanced

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

redzerdrog wrote: »
    I decided to come up with a team containing none of the sky sports team

-

il give it a go as well.

Seaman

--Dixon
    Vidic
    Cambell---Cole--

--Ronaldo--Keane----Viera----Pires----

Shearer
    Bergkamp

My non-SS team would be:
    Seaman
    Dixon---Rio
    Vidic---Cole
    Alonso--Keane
    Ronaldo--Bergkamp--Henry
    RVN

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,430 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Xavi6 wrote: »

Schmeichel

Beckham
    Keane
    Vieira
    Giggs

Gerrard
    Scholes

Ronaldo
    Bergkamp
    Henry

Shearer

Accomodating players ftw

No Cantona???:eek:;)

• Advertisement

No Cantona???:eek:;)

Cantona was an amazing player but he doesn't get in ahead of Shearer,Bergkamp or Henry. Imo. No chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

TEAM FLAH:

Schmeichel

Irwin
    Adams
    Stam
    Cole

Keane
    Vieira

Scholes

Ronaldo
    Giggs

Henry

Not sure why no one else has put Irwin as RB ahead of Neville, I'd have thought Irwin was a better player and was equally accomplished at Rb as LB (right footed in fact).

Shearer is the most unlucky to miss out, but that team has everything, balance, aggression, passing ability, and a front three that can interchange at will.

flahavaj wrote: »
    TEAM FLAH:

Schmeichel

Irwin
    Adams
    Stam
    Cole

Keane
    Vieira

Scholes

Ronaldo
    Giggs

Henry

Not sure why no one else has put Irwin as RB ahead of Neville, I'd have thought Irwin was a better player and was equally accomplished at Rb as LB (right footed in fact).

Shearer is the most unlucky to miss out, but that team has everything, balance, aggression, passing ability, and a front three that can interchange at will.

That's an unbelievable team. Ronaldo and Henry backed up by Keane, Vieira and Scholes. Fúckin hell.

Utd and Arsenal really have had some electric players over the years.

Also, I'm surprised there aren't many votes for the Liverpool-era Michael Owen.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Cantona was an amazing player but he doesn't get in ahead of Shearer,Bergkamp or Henry. Imo. No chance.

Cantona is up there for his influence and impact upon the Premiership.

Don't suppose there's any point debating the manager of the team...?:pac:

#15 wrote: »
    Don't suppose there's any point debating the manager of the team...?:pac:

Yeah, Wenger by a country mile.

:pac:

Yeah, Wenger by a country mile.

:pac:

Sorry, I didn't see that post.