Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Barclays best ever premier league XI

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

anyone think pires is worth a shout, even if only for the bench?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Interesting thread and fun to read. I haven't had time to pick my 11 yet but without trying too hard there seems to be 5 choices that pick themselves:

Schmeichel. Keane. Scholes. Henry. Shearer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,021 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

adox wrote: »
    Interesting thread and fun to read. I haven't had time to pick my 11 yet but without trying too hard there seems to be 5 choices that pick themselves:

Those 4 pick themselves but Scholes doesn't. In fact I don't think he is good enough to get in a Premier League team all time 11, Gerrard and Viera have to be in it ahead of him along with Keane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

Schmeichel. Gerrard. Scholes. Fowler. Shearer could'nt be left out of any team. The best players in their chosen positions by a country mile.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

nuxxx wrote: »
    anyone think pires is worth a shout, even if only for the bench?
    Would have him ahead of Beckham anyway, though I'd have Ronaldo ahead of both

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

eagle eye wrote: »
    Those 4 pick themselves but Scholes doesn't. In fact I don't think he is good enough to get in a Premier League team all time 11, Gerrard and Viera have to be in it ahead of him along with Keane.

Only a PL fan could fail to appreciate one of the most gifted English players of all time. In any other league/culture, he'd be revered as one of the all time greats. But no, on these isles, intelligent and subtle play is disregarded in favour of crash-bang-wallop players. Unsurprising, but still disappointing.

adox wrote: »

What about the only PL player to be recognised as the best player in the world?

#15 wrote: »
    Only a PL fan could fail to appreciate one of the most gifted English players of all time. In any other league/culture, he'd be revered as one of the all time greats. But no, on these isles, intelligent and subtle play is disregarded in favour of crash-bang-wallop players. Unsurprising, but still disappointing.
    Lmao.
    I watch more leagues than most people. So please don't try and classify me as a 'PL fan' like I don't watch anything else. I watch lots of European football as well as South American, Mexican, MLS and even the K-League and A-League.

Lmao.
    I watch more leagues than most people. So please don't try and classify me as a 'PL fan' like I don't watch anything else. I watch lots of European football as well as South American, Mexican, MLS and even the K-League and A-League.

Well, that makes your opinion of Scholes look even worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

flahavaj wrote: »
    TEAM FLAH:

Schmeichel

Irwin
    Adams
    Stam
    Cole

Keane
    Vieira

Scholes

Ronaldo
    Giggs

Henry

Absolutely sick team that. Such balance and pace tempered by rock solidity.

• Advertisement

Well, that makes your opinion of Scholes look even worse.
    Well then lets have a look at what others have thought shall we?

Steven Gerrard

• FWA Footballer of the Year: 2008–09
    • PFA Players' Player of the Year: 2005–06
    • PFA Young Player of the Year: 2000–01
    • PFA Fans' Player of the Year: 2000–01, 2008–09
    • PFA Team of the Year: 2003–04, 2004–05, 2005–06, 2006–07, 2007–08, 2008–09
    • FA Premier League Player of the Month: March 2001, March 2003, December 2004, April 2006, March 2009
    • UEFA Club Footballer of the Year: 2004–05
    • UEFA Champions League Final Man of the Match: 2004–05
    • UEFA Team of the Year: 2005, 2006, 2007
    • FIFA/FIFPro World XI: 2007, 2008, 2009
    • FA Cup Final Man of the Match: 2005–06
    • Goal of the Season: 2005–06
    • England Player of the Year: 2007
    Paul Scholes

• Premier League Player of the Month (4): January 2003, December 2003, October 2006, August 2010
    • PFA Team of the Year (3): 2000–01, 2002–03, 2006–07
    • English Football Hall of Fame: 2008
    All those Uefa awards for Steven Gerrard must mean those who choose them are 'PL fans' only:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Steven Gerrard

• FA Premier League Player of the Month: March 2001, March 2003, December 2004, April 2006, March 2009
    Paul Scholes

• Premier League Player of the Month (4): January 2003, December 2003, October 2006, August 2010
    All those Uefa awards for Steven Gerrard must mean those who choose them are 'PL fans' only:rolleyes:

Gerrard is surrounded by good foreign players though that makes him look better, well according to the pundits that tell it like it is.

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Gerrard is surrounded by good foreign players though that makes him look better, well according to the pundits that tell it like it is.
    Give us some links to these great pundits.

You/they are suggesting that Ronaldo, Giggs, Beckham, Keane, Fletcher, Cantona are/were not world class players?

Steven Gerrard

Paul Scholes

I think you missed a few of the more important awards.

* Premier League (9)
    * FA Cup (3)
    * Football League Cup (2)
    * FA Community Shield (5)
    * UEFA Champions League (2)
    * Intercontinental Cup (1)
    * FIFA Club World Cup (1)

Not as many fans player of the year awards, or goal of the season awards, but I guess the shedload of medals will have to do.

I think you missed a few of the more important awards.

* Premier League (9)
    * FA Cup (3)
    * Football League Cup (2)
    * FA Community Shield (5)
    * UEFA Champions League (2)
    * Intercontinental Cup (1)
    * FIFA Club World Cup (1)

Not as many fans player of the year awards, or goal of the season awards, but I guess the shedload of medals will have to do.
    We are comparing individual players here not who played for the better team.

We are comparing individual players here not who played for the better team.

Yes, but an honest comparison is based on a player's attributes.

Yes, but an honest comparison is based on a player's attributes.
    No you came up with medals won for some reason which is ridiculous. You also said that I was a typical 'PL fan' but individual awards show that Gerrard has been lauded by those in England and abroad including the players he plays against every week. Paul Scholes has never received the same recognition from those people.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Give us some links to these great pundits.

You know them, the ones that tell it like it is during international football particularly when England play but then supposedly talk rubbish when clubs play.

No you came up with medals won for some reason which is ridiculous. You also said that I was a typical 'PL fan' but individual awards show that Gerrard has been lauded by those in England and abroad including the players he plays against every week. Paul Scholes has never received the same recognition from those people.

No, you came up with the individual awards, some of which are absolutely ludricous - goal of the season? England player of the year 2007? fans player of the year? FFS.

The 'medals comment' was a crude response to a crude method of comparing players.

If you want to base your assessment of players on how many personal awards they have won, that's fine. I don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Did you miss the opening game of the season when the Sky pundits and other English commentators were bemoaning the fact Scholes was not at the World Cup? Says a lot that Capello wanted Scholes at his age back in the England team ahead of Gerrard who is supposed to be in the prime of his career.

If you want recognition of Scholes's talent then have a read of these:
    “Paul Scholes would have been one of my first choices for putting together a great team - that goes to show how highly I have always rated him. He would have been one of the first players I’d have bought, given the chance”

Marcello Lippi
    'I tell anyone who asks me - Scholes is the best English player.'
    - Laurent Blanc.

'I'm not the best, Paul Scholes is.'
    - Edgar Davids.

'An amazingly gifted player who remained an unaffected human being.'
    - Roy Keane.

'An all-round midfielder who possesses quality and character in abundance.
    - Italian World Cup-winning manager Marcello Lippi.'
    I have no hesitation in putting a name to the embodiment of all that I think is best about football," said Charlton. "It's Paul Scholes.

"Many great players have worn the shirt of Manchester United. Players I worshipped, then lost with my youth in Munich.

"Players like Denis Law and George Best who I enjoyed so much as team-mates and now, finally, players I have watched closely in the Alex Ferguson era. And in so many ways Scholes is my favourite. I love his nous and conviction that he will find a way to win, to make the killer pass or produce the decisive volley.

"When a game reaches a vital phase, these qualities seem to comeout of his every pore. He's always on the ball, always turning on goal.

"He's always looking to bring other people into the action and if he loses possession you think he must be ill."

"I'm so pleased for Paul," said Charlton. "After what happened when he missed the Bayern Munich final, he deserves to be in Moscow more than anyone.

"He loves the club, he loves his family and is a true professional.

It would be fitting for him to win the European Cup after the fantastic career he has had."
    Back in 2004....

THIERRY HENRY has given Arsenal's arch-rivals Manchester United a boost - by hailing Paul Scholes as the best player in the Premiership.

The French striker has gone out of his way to heap praise on Old Trafford ace Scholes, who played a key role in United's title win last season.Henry told a French magazine: "Without any doubt it has to be Paul Scholes, Man United's midfielder.

"He knows how to do everything, and he is the one who directs the way his team plays. "On top of that, he has indestructible mental strength, and he is a genuine competitor."

And of course Zidane loves the guy:
    “It’s only natural to want to select your best players and there is no doubt for me that Paul Scholes is still in a class of his own.

“He’s almost untouchable in what he does. I never tire of watching him play. You rarely come across the complete footballer, but Scholes is as close to it as you can get.

“One of my regrets is that the opportunity to play alongside him never presented itself during my career.”

“He was an extremely tough opponent to play against. You didn’t get any time on the ball when he was around. He would close you down and make your life *terribly uncomfortable.

“He is the type of player you want on your side, not in *opposition because he could do so much damage.

“He is very gifted. He makes the game look easy because he’s so much natural *ability.”

You dismiss the titles and trophies he won because 'We are comparing individual players here not who played for the better team' but those accolades would not have been won without Scholes who was absolutely pivotal in United's success.

Scholes is the finest English player of his generation.

• Advertisement

No, you came up with the individual awards, some of which are absolutely ludricous - goal of the season? England player of the year 2007? fans player of the year? FFS.

The 'medals comment' was a crude response to a crude method of comparing players.

If you want to base your assessment of players on how many personal awards they have won, that's fine. I don't.
    Well go on then, lets hear your unbiased assessment of both players.

If you are a United fan don't bother though because there is no way you will be unbiased.

I don't support either club, don't really care anymore for one to the other but from what I've seen Gerrard is a far better all around player. Scholes is a great player too be he is behind Gerrard for that position imo. I'd actually have a more forward type player like Cantona or Bergkamp in the Premier League team before him too.

Really he has gotten a lot of praise but its more because of his longevity than his class imo. He deserves plenty of praise but I think he is overrated because of the length of time he has at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

This is getting funny - half of those quotes mentioned are from ex-Utd players - no bias there then. There is no doubt Scholes is a brilliant player but Gerrard has had greater influence in the PL than Scholes. He is the heartbeat of Liverpool. Liverpool would have won nothing if Gerrard wasn't in the team. He practically single-handedly carried them to their CL triumph, FA Cup and countless amount of victories. To list team medals doesnt make any sense. Sure John O'Shea will have bucketloads of medals when he retires, it doesnt make him a superstar. Scholes has never got nominated for a Ballon D'or or World Player of the Year. Gerrard was always playing in an inferior team to Utd. which highlights what he has done ever more. Im sure if you went looking for quotes you would find a hell of a lot superlatives for Gerrard.

There is no PL team that relied on one players influence more than Liverpool did with Gerrard. Without Gerrard, Liverpool would have won practically nothing. Without Scholes Utd would have still won trophies. That is why I would pick Gerrard over Scholes.

Warper wrote: »
    To list team medals doesnt make any sense.

That point was explained further up the page, have a read of it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

If you are a United fan don't bother though because there is no way you will be unbiased.

I don't support either club, don't really care anymore for one to the other but from what I've seen Gerrard is a far better all around player. Scholes is a great player too be he is behind Gerrard for that position imo. I'd actually have a more forward type player like Cantona or Bergkamp in the Premier League team before him too.

Really he has gotten a lot of praise but its more because of his longevity than his class imo. He deserves plenty of praise but I think he is overrated because of the length of time he has at this stage.

You're just as biased tbh, but in your own little way. If he played for a sh*tty mid table side like Wigan or Blackburn you'd be blowing hot air up his ass and talikng down to anyone that disagreed because they hadn't seen him as a teenager in the Bangladeshi 5 a-side Astro turf League.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,135 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

There is no PL team that relied on one players influence more than Liverpool did with Gerrard.

Southampton - Matt Le Tissier

Don't be silly, everyone has a bias, including yourself. No need to sell yourself as a beacon of objectivity, especially when you have a Blackburn sig.

Re: your thoughts on Scholes, words fail me. I'd be wasting my time typing.

There is no PL team that relied on one players influence more than Liverpool did with Gerrard. Without Gerrard, Liverpool would have won practically nothing. Without Scholes Utd would have still won trophies. That is why I would pick Gerrard over Scholes.

Deeply flawed argument that says more about how much better the rest of United's team is/was compared to Liverpool's than it does about Scholes and Gerrard as individual players.

Quazzie wrote: »
    Southampton - Matt Le Tissier

Le Tissier was unreplaceable alright at Southampton but really we are talking about the best ever PL XI. So in effect we are looking at the Top teams. No player outside of the Top 4 has a chance of getting in the PL XI as they have never proven themselves playing for a Top team.

Deeply flawed argument that says more about how much better the rest of United's team is/was compared to Liverpool's than it does about Scholes and Gerrard as individual players.

That is exactly my point. Gerrard made an inferior Liverpool team compete with the likes of Utd. Sure even last Sunday he nearly pulled off a miraculous draw when they were obviously the inferior team.

• Advertisement

Le Tissier was unreplaceable alright at Southampton but really we are talking about the best ever PL XI. So in effect we are looking at the Top teams. No player outside of the Top 4 has a chance of getting in the PL XI as they have never proven themselves playing for a Top team.

Le Tissier is definitely in with a shout.

If you read the part of your post that I quoted it was in reference to you saying no club relies on an individual player moreso than Liverpool and Gerrard. I said Le Tisser as Southampton relied a lot more on him which disproves your point.

That is exactly my point. Gerrard made an inferior Liverpool team compete with the likes of Utd. Sure even last Sunday he nearly pulled off a miraculous draw when they were obviously the inferior team.

I could have swore that we were told for years that Liverpool had some of the best players in the world in their respective positions. Alonso, Mascherano, Reina, Torres, Carragher.

Not saying I don't rate Gerrard. I do, very highly.

Thats well and good, but it doesn't necessarily make him a better player than Sholes and the fact that Scholes played ina better team, with better players shouldn't count against him either. Its simply not a good argument either way you spin it.

You also do players like Hyppia, Alonso, Mascherano, Reina, Torres, Hamman, Carragher et al a grave disservice by implying Liverpool were a one man team the last few years.

And of course Zidane loves the guy:
    This is the same Zidane who said Gerrard is the best player in the world last year.

"Is he the best in the world? He might not get the attention of Lionel Messi and Ronaldo but yes, I think he just might be," said Zidane.
    "If you don't have a player like Steven Gerrard, who is the engine room, it can affect the whole team.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/liverpool/4984191/Liverpools-Steven-Gerrard-hailed-as-worlds-best-player-by-Zinedine-Zidane.html

That was last year though. Zidane is old now, and his head is fúcked ever since he headbutted Materazzi.

• Advertisement

Quazzie wrote: »
    If you read the part of your post that I quoted it was in reference to you saying no club relies on an individual player moreso than Liverpool and Gerrard. I said Le Tisser as Southampton relied a lot more on him which disproves your point.

Fair enough but no one really takes any notice to the lesser teams. Southampton never won anything with Le Tissier, no matter how indispensable he was.

I just want to clear something up. I have the greatest admiration for Scholes as he is a legend. In effect, he is the Xavi of English football. He is in the same mould - hardly ever gives the ball away and is an awesome distributor of the ball plus he can score and tackle. Me choosing Gerrard over Scholes does in no way undermine Scholes - I love the way Scholes plays the game. A truly world-class player and he will go down in the history-books.

Don't be silly, everyone has a bias, including yourself. No need to sell yourself as a beacon of objectivity, especially when you have a Blackburn sig.

Re: your thoughts on Scholes, words fail me. I'd be wasting my time typing.
    Well have a look at the team I chose and United have more players than any other club, I only have one Liverpool player in it. I only have on former Blackburn player in it too and he just happens to be the greatest goalscorer in the history of the Premier League by a country mile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Well have a look at the team I chose and United have more players than any other club, I only have one Liverpool player in it. I only have on former Blackburn player in it too and he just happens to be the greatest goalscorer in the history of the Premier League by a country mile.

Not a country mile ahead of RVN.

Thats because we'd all have a great time laughing at you if you chose any other Blackburn players.

I left Shearer out myself it felt a bit cumbersome putting him in there with all the classy footballers in my side.

This is getting funny - half of those quotes mentioned are from ex-Utd players - no bias there then.

If you wanted non-United quotes you only had to ask.
    Micah Richards : "He's always in the right position, always seems to be at the end of the box when the ball drops in. The complete midfielder - when he's fit, he's the best. Some go missing but he's in the right place at the right time. He's my favourite player of all-time, unbelievable. If you give him a chance it's a goal, isn't it?"

Glenn Hoddle : "There isn’t a player of his mould anywhere else in the world."

Terry Venables : "He’s the best one- or two-touch passer in the country. He sees the game unlike any other player."

Alan Shearer : "If you ask footballers to pick out the player they most admire, so many of them will pick Paul Scholes. He can tackle, and his passing and shooting is of the highest level. He’s the most consistent and naturally gifted player we’ve had for a long, long time."

Eidur Gudjohnsen : "I'm more an admirer of Paul Scholes than I am of Ronaldo. Ronaldo is a fantastic player, but he has 10 other great players around him every week...Scholes is one of the most complete footballers I've ever seen. His one-touch play is phenomenal. Whenever I have played against him, I never felt I could get close to him."

Edgar Davids : ""Every one of us (midfielders) is just trying to become as good as him. Everyone can learn from Paul Scholes."

Edgar Davids : "I'm not the best, Paul Scholes is."

Tony Adams : "I really rate Paul Scholes, because he hasn't got the high profile of many of the Manchester United players, he doesn't get too much attention, but he is one very good player. He is an intelligent player, he works hard and he scores some great goals. He is not flamboyant and is a quiet lad off the pitch but he is a tremendous asset to Manchester United and to England. He has already got my vote as player of the year."

Cesc Fabregas : "He is the one whose level I aspire to. He is the best player in the Premier League."

Patrick Vieira : "The player in the Premiership I admire most? Easy - Scholes."

Thierry Henry : "I can't understand why Scholes has never won the player of the year award. He should have won it long ago. Maybe it's because he doesn't seek the limelight like some of the other 'stars'."

Zinedine Zidane : "My toughest opponent? Scholes of Manchester. He is the complete midfielder."

Zinedine Zidane : "Scholes is undoubtedly the best midfielder of his generation."

Sam Allardyce : "There is not a better midfield player in the world."

Kevin Keegan : "What United have got that Chelsea haven't is Paul Scholes. I think he is different to anything else in English football."

The Henry one is interesting.

I haven't heard anyone touch on the point of why England went and asked Scholes to return if they already had the better player? Oh wait I'm a United fan so I don't count with my bias.
    Warper wrote:
    To list team medals doesnt make any sense. Sure John O'Shea will have bucketloads of medals when he retires, it doesnt make him a superstar.

Silly point because O'Shea is a full-back whereas Scholes and Gerrard play in the heart of the midfield and influence play far more.
    Warper wrote:
    Scholes has never got nominated for a Ballon D'or or World Player of the Year.

And Beckham often was and no one would surely say he was better than Gerrard or Scholes.

Amazing how Liverpool did so well just because of Gerrard. I guess Alonso, Owen, Mascherano, Torres, Carragher, Reina etc. had no effect on Liverpool being competitive. Well done to Gerrard for carrying this inferior team!

• Advertisement

Thats because we'd all have a great time laughing at you if you chose any other Blackburn players.

I left Shearer out myself it felt a bit cumbersome putting him in there with all the classy footballers in my side.
    No the problem for you is that you know sfa about anything outside the big four as I've told you before.

Fair enough but no one really takes any notice to the lesser teams. Southampton never won anything with Le Tissier, no matter how indispensable he was.

He kept a team that contained the likes of such Superstars as Francis Benali in the top flight for years. Look at the way the club went after he retired. Will Liverpool fail so miserably after Gerrard?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

No the problem for you is that you know sfa about anything outside the big four as I've told you before.

Name one other former Blackburn player that would get into a PL XI.

baz2009 wrote: »
    Name one other former Blackburn player that would get into a PL XI.
    I don't think there should be any other one tbh.

There is only one other that would even come remotely close to being considered imo and that is Colin Hendry.

Not withstanding the fact that we're debating two players from Top 4 Clubs (or one that used to be!) the problem with you is you look down your nose at anyone that doesn't support a sh*t team like you do, as I've alluded to already in this thread - and you do so without a hint of good humour. You're like some kind of inverse snob who looks down their nose at people for drinking a particular brand of wine when all the time he's sipping on the sly from can of Dutch Gold poorly hidden with a brown paper bag.

But never change, I enjoy you a lot.

And the roblem with you is you look down your nose at anyone that doesn't support a sh*t team like you do, as I've alluded to already in this thread - and you do so without a hint of good humour. You're like some kind of inverse snob who looks down their nose at people for drinking a particular brand of wine when all the time he's sipping on the sly from can of Dutch Gold poorly hidden with a brown paper bag.

But never change, I enjoy you a lot.
    I don't look down my nose at anybody. I just tell it as I see it. You do the same but when its done back to you, you get all upset and post something like what you just did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

Can the pair of you please get back to debating the points within each others posts rather than attacking each other or I'll be forced to infract you both

If you wanted non-United quotes you only had to ask.

The Henry one is interesting.

As I already said I'm sure you could find the same, if not more, superlatives for Gerrard.
    I haven't heard anyone touch on the point of why England went and asked Scholes to return if they already had the better player? Oh wait I'm a United fan so I don't count with my bias.

Just because he was asked does not mean Gerrard would have been dropped. I cant ever remember Scholes (or Gerrard for that matter) ever replicating his club form for England on a consistent basis.

Silly point because O'Shea is a full-back whereas Scholes and Gerrard play in the heart of the midfield and influence play far more.

I was alluding to the amount of medals won as a team as opposed to individual performances.
    And Beckham often was and no one would surely say he was better than Gerrard or Scholes.

Good point - point taken.

Amazing how Liverpool did so well just because of Gerrard. I guess Alonso, Owen, Mascherano, Torres, Carragher, Reina etc. had no effect on Liverpool being competitive. Well done to Gerrard for carrying this inferior team!

Liverpool won that they won because of Gerrard though. He was instrumental in all of their trophies that I can think of. I doubt they would have anything without him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

I would have Bergkamp instead of Cantona, Ronaldo instead of Beckham and Lampard instead of Gerrard. Couldnt be arsed about defenders, dont like them, dont care.

Liverpool won that they won because of Gerrard though. He was instrumental in all of their trophies that I can think of. I doubt they would have anything without him.

They didn't win anything with him last season though. He struggled without Alonso there and was panned by lots of supporters, including those of Liverpool. Scholes in contrast was keeping United's title charge going and even with his old legs, Fergie still had to keep playing him in the big games. You can't praise Gerrard for the good times and ignore the bad times. Gerrard has been an outstanding player but has he shown consistent brilliance? Not for me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement