Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Barclays best ever premier league XI

1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Its only been the Barclays Premier League since 2007, does that affect selection?

1993–2001: Carling (FA Carling Premiership)
    2004–2007: Barclaycard (Barclaycard Premiership)
    2007–present: Barclays (Barclays Premier League)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,135 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

efb wrote: »
    Its only been the Barclays Premier League since 2007, does that affect selection?

1993–2001: Carling (FA Carling Premiership)
    2004–2007: Barclaycard (Barclaycard Premiership)
    2007–present: Barclays (Barclays Premier League)

If it does it makes Cantona's inclusion even more bizarre. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

They didn't win anything with him last season though. He struggled without Alonso there and was panned by lots of supporters, including those of Liverpool. Scholes in contrast was keeping United's title charge going and even with his old legs, Fergie still had to keep playing him in the big games. You can't praise Gerrard for the good times and ignore the bad times. Gerrard has been an outstanding player but has he shown consistent brilliance? Not for me.

Gerrard has shown consistent brilliance, year in, year out imo. Has Scholes shown consistent brilliance throughout his career. From what I can remember there were a lot of people saying he was finished a few years ago. Over the past 4 seasons in the PL, Scholes has scored 12 goals and 11 assists. Hardly something to write home about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Warper wrote: »
    Gerrard has shown consistent brilliance, year in, year out imo. Has Scholes shown consistent brilliance throughout his career. From what I can remember there were a lot of people saying he was finished a few years ago. Over the past 4 seasons in the PL, Scholes has scored 12 goals and 11 assists. Hardly something to write home about.

Football isn't just about goals and assists. Look at Xabi Alonso's record of those stats pulling one such example out of the air. great players can influence the game from different areas of the pitch, not just in and around the box.

flahavaj wrote: »
    Football isn't just about goals and assists. Look at Xabi Alonso's record of those stats pulling one such example out of the air. great players can influence the game from different areas of the pitch, not just in and around the box.

Fair enough, lets just agree to disagree here. We could go on all night. Everyones fav team is going to be different and we are just going around in circles now. There is no correct answer - its a matter of opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Fair enough, lets just agree to disagree here. We could go on all night. Everyones fav team is going to be different and we are just going around in circles now. There is no correct answer - its a matter of opinion.

To be fair I only named half a team.

You are right that it's all about opinions but I think you know deep down Scholes is by far the better footballer. :D

adox wrote: »
    To be fair I only named half a team.

You are right that it's all about opinions but I think you know deep down Scholes is by far the better footballer. :D

And Im an Everton fan, wtf am I doing bigging up Gerrard?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Iago wrote: »
    I reckon you lose every match you play with that team. To say that one selection is a joke and then not even find a place on the bench for either Keane or Viera is ironic imo

To say that Vieira does enough to be included in a Premier League's best list, but doesn't do enough for you (and literally about 10 others in this thread - search for it) to be able to spell his name correctly, is ironic imo.

Seriously, it's only 6 letters. How can he be one of the leagues best players if nobody remembers his name? Thank Christ we're not looking to include Quincy Owusu-Abeyie or Diniyar Rinatovich Bilyaletdinov.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Gerrard has shown consistent brilliance, year in, year out imo.

Bull last season for example he went missing at key times

Has Scholes shown consistent brilliance throughout his career
    In a word yes , the odd bad game but who doesn't

From what I can remember there were a lot of people saying he was finished a few years ago.

Do you mean when he nearly when blind and miss the whole season :rolleyes:

Over the past 4 seasons in the PL, Scholes has scored 12 goals and 11 assists.
    Hardly something to write home about.

You mean went he was winning 3 League titles , a Champions League , 2 League Cups and a WORLD Club Cup ,:D
    You're right nothing to be proud of :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

i don't mean to make this worse :D, but Scholes has had as many bad seasons as Gerrard.

i'd have Scholes in my team, mainly because of the synergy he has with Keane who i also had in my midfield.

but there's not a huge amount between them in terms of talent.

they're also different players. Gerrard is a 'moment of inspiration' player, whose literally a force of nature who takes teams by the scruff of the neck and drags them through the mud at his best.

Scholes keeps the team ticking over, goes unnoticed, barely wastes a pass at his best, has unrivalled vision and pops up with goals.

it depends on your taste and what you want from your CM of choice.

Advertisement