Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Question re Gearing

• 21-09-2010 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Have a sirrus road bike and have a question re gearing.
    I have been going for hilly rides lately and have been using the "granny cog" to make life a little easier, whenever I drop into this though the gear change never sounds complete, it always sounds as if it is not fully in gear if this makes sense and makes a noise reflecting same, does any one have any ideas how I can fix this as I am concerned I am going to do some damage to the bike,

Thanks,

Conor

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

doubt your doing damage. sounds like you need a gear adjestment. if i had my guess id say your chain is rubbing against your front derailleur. bring to the lbs if your not up for the challange or try it youself. there are plenty of video on the net. if not complicated but it is a bit of an art to get perfect.
    good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

Make sure you're not in the small gears on the back - if you're on the smallest on the front, then I'd only use the biggest 4 or so on the back. Otherwise, you're pushing the chain at too steep an angle and maybe causing it to rub against the front derailleur. You should be able to see where the rubbing is if you do it while the bike is stationary or if you look carefully when you're riding it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

If the chain is not completing the shift to the last sprocket you'll wear the sprocket out pretty quickly.

Assuming you are not cross-chaining, you may need to tweak the L limit screw to give the derailler some additional travel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭jayjbe

Lumen wrote: »
    If the chain is not completing the shift to the last sprocket you'll wear the sprocket out pretty quickly.

Assuming you are not cross-chaining, you may need to tweak the L limit screw to give the derailler some additional travel.

+1 on Lumen's comment. Try pushing the rear derailleur in. The derailleur cog closest to the cassette should line up with the 'granny' cog.

If that does not work try adding some tension to the cable. Turn the black plastic 'nut' where cable goes into the derailleur anti clockwise (when looking from rear of bike) one turn. Test. Then turn again. Count the turns. If this does not fix just turn back the number of turns.

Last thing would be to change the B screw. The B screw is the one with the head pointing rearwards on the RD. This moves the chain nearer of closer to the cassette.

Disclaimer on the above...this could mess up your shifting altogether and cause a trip to LBS. But it's fun to learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 cons55

I ran through the gears tonight. It is not jumping onto the granny cog at all. When I change to it, it stays in 2 and does not move onto it at all. Is this because of my position on the other set? I'm clueless but trying to learn, trip to lbs?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Take a look at some YouTube videos first before heading to the lbs, there's some really good instructional ones on how to tune your gears.

www.bicycletutor.com is a good site with lots of video tutorials.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

It's also worth cleaning and lubing the derailleurs and cables. They can get sticky and not shift properly...

Advertisement