Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best wireless card for a desktop

Options
  • 21-09-2010 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

I'm in a rented place, so I can't go drilling through the walls, and I'm not having wires trawled up the stairs, from the downstairs router to the desktop upstairs. I originally thought Powerline would be best... 'tisn't. A 1Gbps Belkin powerline thingy was giving a grand total of less than 2MBps transfer speeds!

So I was gonna go with a wireless jobby. I got a fancy-pants Netgear WNDR3700 router which does dual-band 2.4GHz and 5GHz 802.11n speeds, and I want to get something that'll take full advantage of that. Any suggestions from you kind folks?

I was thinking I'd get better performance out of a in-house PCI card, what with the 3 aerials and such, but I can't seem to find too many of 'em that do both 2.4GHz and 5GHz, but I'm not 100% sure what I should be going for, would, for instance a USB fella like http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-RangeMax-WNDA3100-Wireless-N-Adapter/dp/B001498LIO/ref=pd_sim_e_1 do me just as well?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

I like the look of this Linksys one for a desktop 'cause it comes with a USB extension cable/stand so you can move it around a bit to see what location gives best coverage.

Advertisement