Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Quick-guide to successful photo-shooting

• 21-09-2010 5:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭

I just bought a panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 due to arrive in a few days and I would like it if someone pointed me towards a quick-guide to taking photos. I will be mainly photographing my family, indoors and outdoors, and of course I will be reading the manual but if someone points me in the direction of an online quick guide I will be reading that as well. I know I could learn so much by reading some of the posts in this board but honestly I only have a few hours to dedicate to this. I am a complete newbie by the way.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭charybdis

We had a thread along similar lines not too long ago where a few of us offered general advice to a new photographer, it's probably relevant to your question.

I will say that you should probably avoid getting to heavily invested in a lot of tutorials and things offering "tips and tricks" because you really should just learn the basics first. Like most things, the basics are easy to begin to understand, but difficult to master. Start with the manual and practice.

A lot of people will probably recommend a book called Understanding Exposure as it is quite popular although I don't think its reputation is remotely deserved, so I can't really recommend it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

A very short answer: there isn't a quick guide.

Photography is a skill, that or raw talent. It takes practice and learning and trying and trying. Once you get your basics (exposure, aperture, composition) you're on your way. And breaking those rules usually works too :o. So, I'm afraid there is no easy option of just mastering photography like that - for most people it takes time, hard work and making a lot of mistakes.

Advertisement