Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

crowne plaza parking

• 21-09-2010 5:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭

So as we all know the back of the crowne plaza is the new overflow car park. See here; http://ww2.dkit.ie/about_dkit/institute_news/overflow_car_park

First of all, those 100 spaces are NOT 'clearly marked'. In fact there were zero signs at all up until today, other than clamping ones.

For whatever reason traffic is worse this year than any other imo... at the back of the crowne plaza today there were several cars parked alongside kerbs and then people started parking in the main crowne plaza car park. I seen a manager out chasing them but the main crowne plaza car park was almost full today (which it never is) - i'm assuming it's all students / staff parking there.

This evening i noticed signs up at the crowne plaza saying spaces at the back are for 'dkit permit holders only' with an arrow pointing over to the left. There are not 100 spaces to the left of that arrow.

So my question is, what's the story with this? It's as clear as mud now. Typical really. It's all fun and games until people start getting clamped and i fear that's gonna happen soon because of the complete lack of information on this new crowne plaza overflow car park.

If it's permit holders only i.e. staff, that means more spaces have been taken away from students (anyone could park in horseware). I'd love to see stats on how many extra students we have this year because judging by the traffic, canteen and parking situation it's hell of a lot more than the past few years...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

The apprentices also started this week. Making the matter worse. No offence to anyone but theres a ridiculous amount of people needlessly taking cars into college.

Theres no quick fix to this. People are going to come in earlier and earlier to get a parking space. Theres too many cars and way too little space and Im sorry but the answer is not more parking spaces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

They could open another 2 car parks and they would still fill up in no time - the college need to introduce new measures to ease congestion - people in my class have started carpooling and i just cycle instead of driving in now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

When I was there one guy used to drive up from college heights! :rolleyes:

Something has to be done to make getting to and from the college easier and cheaper, for my last two years I drove to college 20 miles each way everyday day in a Integra Type R which is not exactly a fuel efficent car and it cost me significantly less in fuel, tax and insurance than if I had of been paying for the nearest bus to me.

In another country that would be outrageous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Scram

draffodx wrote: »
    When I was there one guy used to drive up from college heights! :rolleyes:

Folks in my class were saying the same thing the other day.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 sunflour

KeithM89 wrote: »
    i just cycle instead of driving in now

Me too, but my legs are fecking killing me by the time I get in! Tempted to start taking the car again! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭stooodent

sunflour wrote: »
    Me too, but my legs are fecking killing me by the time I get in! Tempted to start taking the car again! :P

where can I buy a bike in town I know its not relevant to the topic but walking to the local shop takes ages:( I live on campus btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 sunflour

C-Discount on Clanbrassil St is meant to be pretty good, price-wise.

Advertisement