Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is original content king when trying to impress google?

Options
  • 21-09-2010 5:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

Hi Folks,

I have a rakeback website and currently I'm languishing in the lower divisions for certain key terms on google I have targeted. Now my question is on original content. Are you better to have loads of original content on your own website, or should you put more effort into submitting original content to article directories like ezine, article base, go etc to try and generate more vistors and backlinks through your articles getting published on other sites/blogs?

I have designed my website in a way that I have lots of submenus where I can add unlimited amount of articles/blogposts/reviews etc. I have read SEO blogs that google only really starts to take notice when your website has more than 100 in pages. Would people agree? Can I increase my chances of getting higher on google by writing numerous orginal content targeted at certain keywords on my own website?

Should i concentrate more on generating more original content for article directories instead and does having high number of backlionks from my resouce box there help increase my rankings on google for my keywords chosen?

I'm a total novice here so any help appreciated. My Blueprint is to write new originial content on certain keywords/terms but I suppose I would like some reassuance from the SEO experts here that Im not totally wasting my time going down this avenue.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 rakebackblogger

Seeing as no one is offering comment, I'll commmet on my own thread.
    Im going to take a break from writing content for a week or so and concentrate on gaining backlinks through submitting to directories, adding my RSS to bloggin directories, commenting on related blogs, and increase my press releases per product I offer.

I think i'll try and plan out where and what i want to do tonight and then do it gradually over the coming months.

Any advice on software or services who can help me with this?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

Yes, content is King.
    Combined with a nice looking site, and some decent SEO, you'll be flying in Google.

I have read that google does not like more than 1 H1 heading on a homepage. However as I have a Wordpress themed site, I have 10 of my latest blog posts on my homepage which means there are 11 H1 on my homepage. Will google punish me for this or is this acceptable as its wordpress powered?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭link8r

I have read that google does not like more than 1 H1 heading on a homepage. However as I have a Wordpress themed site, I have 10 of my latest blog posts on my homepage which means there are 11 H1 on my homepage. Will google punish me for this or is this acceptable as its wordpress powered?

Seeing as Google doesn't publish this kind of stuff, I've no idea where people pick it up....

Its like this. People change something on their site, then 10 mins/hours/days later they see a "change" and attribute the reason/cause to the last thing they did. Given the that Google may not have even crawled or even indexed the site doesn't count.

Here's a great example. Someone has a blog. They're really popular. People link to them. They typically write about Dublin GAA. They rank well and traffic is steady. Then they broaden their horizen. They blog more about other stuff. Suddenly traffic doubles. They attribute this to fresh content.

Its not very scientific and it's not at all a complete view.

If you had a website about GAA and then one day redid all the content about Ford cars then you'd stop ranking for GAA and start (or not) ranking for Ford cars. But it doesn't stop people pontificating about it as though its absolute science.

The technicality and the struggle of implementation of SEO is as much an engineering one as it is a marketing one. Google (and Bing and Yahoo) is afterall a company of engineers trying to solve the most colossal data index programme ever attempted.

Try to get a wholistic view, not a checklist of things to do. Some people drive fast, some people drive slowly. you can't do both at the same time. You'll still get there.

I have read that bout H1 headers a on a few SEO blogger sites. I dont have the links off hand now but i see what your getting at so thanks for the reply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 waynefrancis

Hi Folks,

I have a rakeback website and currently I'm languishing in the lower divisions for certain key terms on google I have targeted. Now my question is on original content. Are you better to have loads of original content on your own website, or should you put more effort into submitting original content to article directories like ezine, article base, go etc to try and generate more vistors and backlinks through your articles getting published on other sites/blogs?

I have designed my website in a way that I have lots of submenus where I can add unlimited amount of articles/blogposts/reviews etc. I have read SEO blogs that google only really starts to take notice when your website has more than 100 in pages. Would people agree? Can I increase my chances of getting higher on google by writing numerous orginal content targeted at certain keywords on my own website?

Should i concentrate more on generating more original content for article directories instead and does having high number of backlionks from my resouce box there help increase my rankings on google for my keywords chosen?

I'm a total novice here so any help appreciated. My Blueprint is to write new originial content on certain keywords/terms but I suppose I would like some reassuance from the SEO experts here that Im not totally wasting my time going down this avenue.

Basing on my experience,I have built a site using wordpress.I have a site with a 500word unique article 1 page only,and only more than 2months old and ranking well in google.com-it is on number 10-15 flactuating and number 5 in yahoo.com.It is a keyword rich site,having on page seo leverage and a few backlinks.I heard people saying you should have 5 -100 unque contents yes they are right and I am also right because I have seen and experience it now,I know some will say that my site will be out of google soon after google will see it as 1 page only,this is only an experiment.Also I have a site which have 6 pages including privacy,terms about us and others and also ranking well and did you know that it is only few weeks old.

As I understand,gaining well in google proper keyword research is needed,then akeyword reach domain name,onsite seo and some proper backlinks.I just learned this tricks 2 months ago and I did tried to implement it.I have been on the net for a few years made money but not much,have some websites before but didn't get much any money at all.I spent thousandson this but recently I come with an seo webmaster and applied what he teaches, and boom,I do believe now on proper seo research.Not making much money yet but getting there.

If you need help just let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Rock Paper Scissors

also be sure to make sure you repurpose your content. Heres what i do:

submit content to my own site first, then when its indexed:

submit to top 15 article directories
    convert it to video and submit to video sharing sites using tubemogul
    convert it a PDF and submit to doc sharing sites
    convert it to an MP3 and submit to podcast directories.
    convert it it an an autorespender series if possible and mail to my list
    convert it to a slideshow and upload to slideshare.net
    submit it to web2.0 sites (hubpages/squidoo etc)
    submit all rss feeds from above to top 20 rss directories
    Ping everything

Its about getting maximum mileage from your content

Always make sure to submit unique content to your own website 1st

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭fintan

By going after the Poker rakeback / affiliate marketing you are entering one of the most competitive online fields.

Given the serious money that can be made in this area, you will be competing against companies that spend millions per year on their business (website, content, seo, marketing).

So just because you have written a few unique (and some not so unique) articles, don't be disappointed if you don't rank number 1 in Google. You will have to do FAR more than that to compete effectively

Advertisement