Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

OKTOBERFEST DUBLIN

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Beer, meat more meat and more Beer and lots of bravaian barmaids.
    Seems this year Oktober fest has come to Dublin so we don't have to travel.

Cool.

So, when are you taking me, Thaed? :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,037 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Is it only Erdinger? My body rejects Erdinger very violently. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭trout

Gaspode wrote: »
    My body rejects Erdinger

/shun

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Sadly I think I'm working both weekends and have no holidays left this year. Maybe I could concoct some scheme involving a scarecrow, a headshot, a desk fan and that joke coffee cup that looks like it's always hot to convince my supervisor I'm actually in.....

......or double check my holiday balance and see if I can squeeze a few hours out of it.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭Mr.Applepie

They've ran this for a few years now. All I can say is it doesn't come close to the real thing

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,037 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

trout wrote: »
    /shun

I like Erdinger Beers but they dont like me :(

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

wahoo, can't wait for this

They've ran this for a few years now. All I can say is it doesn't come close to the real thing

I'm half thinking of trying to convince some of the lads to travel up for this (the prototype is coming along nicely) - is it worth it? It sounds like a bit of a laugh. I couldn't stick to Erdinger for the night though. I find it surprisingly heavy to drink.... especially considering the amount of stout I sank last night....
    Thaedydal wrote: »
    Seems this year Oktober fest has come to Dublin so we don't have to travel.

Dry run for next year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

Boycott :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Keep your money guys , this is an absolute farce.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭Mr.Applepie

I'm half thinking of trying to convince some of the lads to travel up for this (the prototype is coming along nicely) - is it worth it? It sounds like a bit of a laugh. I couldn't stick to Erdinger for the night though. I find it surprisingly heavy to drink.... especially considering the amount of stout I sank last night....

Dry run for next year?

If you've been to the real Oktoberfest I'd say you'll be disappointed. I've been there twice and dream of the half a chicken you can get there. Lowenbrau, Hoffbrau, Augustiner...... damn it now I want to go!

Also Erdinger isn't even allowed at Oktoberfest as they don't brew their beer in Munich anymore.

I remember after my first pilgrimage (3 weeks travelling around Bavaria sampling the local brew) I found Erdinger a poor imitation of what you can get there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

<snip>Also Erdinger isn't even allowed at Oktoberfest as they don't brew their beer in Munich anymore.</snip>
    I think you mean the Schneider Weiss? It used to be brewed in Munich, but now the only connection is their Beer Hall downtown.
    Thus, it cant be sold at the octoberfest.

Erdinger is from Erding, which a town a good spin from Munich. Which also means it was never sold at the octoberfest, nor ever will be.

I amnt going to comment on the qualities of Erdinger as a tipple, but it would be travesty if they only had weissbier rather than some sort of helles lager type stuff that they sell almost 7 MILLION litres of at the fest proper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭bop1977

taken from the web site:

In order to comply with Irish licensing laws, every person who is present at the Oktoberfest after 10pm is required to purchase a food voucher to the value of €5. The €5 voucher is redeemable against a substantial meal which is worth €10. This voucher can be purchased at the entrance or even on the platform in a special branded pagoda - you can't miss it!

Can somebody explain which part of irish law demands you buy food? another stupid rip off....:mad:

but it does sound goog apart for the above. might saunter along one of the days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,456 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

why do they have shirley temple bar on the front page of the website :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Was at this last year. Was ok. Don't think it's really worth the money you pay in though. I'd be satisfied with having a quick look and a few pints in the area and not paying into the tent. Also, they had Paulander last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

bop1977 wrote: »
    taken from the web site:

In order to comply with Irish licensing laws, every person who is present at the Oktoberfest after 10pm is required to purchase a food voucher to the value of €5. The €5 voucher is redeemable against a substantial meal which is worth €10. This voucher can be purchased at the entrance or even on the platform in a special branded pagoda - you can't miss it!

Can somebody explain which part of irish law demands you buy food? another stupid rip off....:mad:

but it does sound goog apart for the above. might saunter along one of the days.

I remember back in the day in college some of the nightclubs used to give you a voucher when you paid in which entitled you to get some rank food, as I know their licience only entitled them to serve alchol after a certain our if they also served food

I thought that law had been done away with but by the sounds of this it hasn't

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭beefjerky

http://www.oktoberfest-dublin.com/reservations.html
    There is a fee of 150€ per table which is to pay upfront. This fee includes 10 one litre beers which you get as soon as you arrive

Does that mean the beer is €15 a glass? :eek:
    I know it’s a litre glass but by the high Dublin prices that should only be €10. (or so)

Does anyone know if this is the price per beer if you queue instead of booking?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

beefjerky wrote: »
    http://www.oktoberfest-dublin.com/reservations.html
    There is a fee of 150€ per table which is to pay upfront. This fee includes 10 one litre beers which you get as soon as you arrive

Does that mean the beer is €15 a glass? :eek:
    I know it’s a litre glass but by the high Dublin prices that should only be €10. (or so)

Does anyone know if this is the price per beer if you queue instead of booking?
    theres a deposit of a fiver on the glass plus a tenner for the liquid = 15 squids a beer

the fiver you get back.
    Thats what a deposit means BTW.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭beefjerky

theres a deposit of a fiver on the glass plus a tenner for the liquid = 15 squids a beer

the fiver you get back.

Thanks, didn't realise there was a deposit on the glass.

Double thanks for explaining what deposit means too - I was a bit sketchy on that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Is it actaul Oktoberfest Paulaner they are serving or the normal one ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

the fiver you get back.

Jesus, even with the deposit, a tenner for a beer is an absolute rip-off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

Was there last year and it was unreal!! I've been over to the real thing twice and can safely say that I've had better craic at this one. Selection of beer is limited (was paulaner last year). Also means you don't have to get up at an ungodly time of the morning to que for a beer tent! Stumble in at some stage in the afternoon.

I've a table booked. 15 mates a tenner each. First ten in got the booze. The rest bought a seat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

What would be the chance of getting in with no booking at about 9pm on Saturday? Slim to none I'm guessing.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭horsebox1977

Anybody can get in so there is no problem - on a weekend night you may have to queue to get in though.
    You did last year and I'd expect it to be a little more popular this year.

Jesus, even with the deposit, a tenner for a beer is an absolute rip-off.

That it's a litre of beer softens the blow a bit. And that includes the food too doesn't it? It might be a pale imitation of the proper Oktoberfest but it sounds like a laugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Panie Janie

Not going in to quote everything..

"Is it actaul Oktoberfest Paulaner they are serving or the normal one ?"- It's Erdinger Weissbier this year. I don't know how many of the options they'll have but if you don't like Erdinger and they have their Urweisse it's closer to most other weissbiers. There's no mention of a mainstream beer on offer.

"Jesus, even with the deposit, a tenner for a beer is an absolute rip-off. // And that includes the food too doesn't it?"
    - A Mass is between 8.30 amd 8.90 at the Oktoberfest this year, and they're gonna sell a lot more. It certainly doesn't include the food. The hot dogs are the real rip-off here.

"I've a table booked. 15 mates a tenner each. First ten in got the booze. The rest bought a seat."
    - These benches only had room for ten people each last year...

"What would be the chance of getting in with no booking at about 9pm on Saturday? Slim to none I'm guessing."
    - The game in Aviva is at 19.30. Wouldn't leave it much after 9 to try get in. Pray for rain so people don't queue. You'll get in if you queue, eventually.

Advertisement