Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garage Doors

Options
  • 21-09-2010 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭

Hey folks, I'm looking for indications on price for a garage door, either roller shutter or traditional up and over for a 2.40m x 2.00m opening approx. I think sectional doors will be out of the question due to price. A motorised door is a nice to have rather than an essential.
    Basically, we're talking cheap and cheerful, easy to open and won't fall apart due to regular use. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭country home

just fitted my door 2 months ago.

roller
    black
    electric,
    insulated, not an up and over, but roller.
    opening 10ft, , , 8ft aprox
    2 remotes
    manual handle incase motor goes
    manual switch on wall inside so u dont need the remote,
    key box outside incase u dont have the remote (this was not installed, yet) because as the installers said, and i agree, it may make it look industrial, and u dont what that for a house. so they said, see for a month or two, and if u need it, stick it in urself.. .no probs.
    rolls on a brush slider either side, brush is on both inside and ourside, so it moves silently. .

price 1,200.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭JuniorB

Our builder got a quote for a roller door - prob 10ft by 8ft or so - with 2 remotes etc for €800 incl VAT and fitting. Will be matched to RAL colour of our doors/windows. Supplier based in Roscommon.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I got the following quote from a supplier in Tyrone.

1 no. Black Garage Roller Door, 2700 x 2100
    Motor & 2 Remotes
    £ 650.00

careful getting those doors for 600/800, if you fall against them ud push them in, , ,

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭bikerboy_ie

I got three quotes recently for a 2.1x2.7m roller door. €500 for manual roller. €800 for roller door with motor. €1200 for insulated, secure and motorized roller door. Went for the most expensive door. I know of quite a few people with the basic manual roller door and the one I chose is far superior. It was worth the extra money.

• Advertisement

I got three quotes recently for a 2.1x2.7m roller door. €500 for manual roller. €800 for roller door with motor. €1200 for insulated, secure and motorized roller door. Went for the most expensive door. I know of quite a few people with the basic manual roller door and the one I chose is far superior. It was worth the extra money.

well pointed out, I went for the same myself. . .

my cousin has the 600 manual one, and im tellin ya, , ,, its not a door, its a rain-mac. . .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

A small kid with a screwdriver or a pry bar would get through these cheap ass doors in a few seconds,they are that light and flimsey.AVOID THEM,they are useless.:mad:

I just got an industrial strength coated 8.2 foot high x 8.2 foot wide electric roller shutter door with 2 remotes and a key box switch aswell from C&S Roller Shutter Door systems in Finglas.Got an absolutely cracking deal on it too,compared to any other door company in Leinster.All the others were trying to ripp me off and get as much money out of me as possible.

C&S have a huge manufacturing factory up in Jamestown Ind Estate in Finglas and they are very very good on price too including them calling out to fit the roller shutter door for me.

They supply only commercial and industrial strength roller shutters and also security doors too.If Tesco,Meteor,Topshop and Aviva uses them for security doors and shutters,then they are good enough for me too.:)

http://www.cs-shutters.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

paddy147 wrote: »
    A small kid with a screwdriver or a pry bar would get through these cheap ass doors in a few seconds,they are that light and flimsey.AVOID THEM,they are useless.:mad:

I just got an industrial strength coated 8.2 foot high x 8.2 foot wide electric roller shutter door with 2 remotes and a key box switch aswell from C&S Roller Shutter Door systems in Finglas.Got an absolutely cracking deal on it too,compared to any other door company in Leinster.All the others were trying to ripp me off and get as much money out of me as possible.

C&S have a huge manufacturing factory up in Jamestown Ind Estate in Finglas and they are very very good on price too including them calling out to fit the roller shutter door for me.

They supply only commercial and industrial strength roller shutters and also security doors too.If Tesco,Meteor,Topshop and Aviva uses them for security doors and shutters,then they are good enough for me too.:)

http://www.cs-shutters.ie/

What was the price?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 skeating

Juniorb, can u pm me the supplier in rosscommon please ? I am building and need a garage door. Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Peanut81

Hey,

Does anyone know of any Suppliers in the Munster area???

• Advertisement

Lemlin wrote: »
    What was the price?

790 euro for a my industrial strength electric roller shutter door made to suit,supplied and fitted too,oh and also an internal ground lock system,so that the shutter cannot be lifted or forced up in any way shape or form.

Even got a nice little tour of the C&S factory aswell,and got to see industrial shutters being made by the CNC machines and metal forming machines and then put together by the workers.That made my mind up for me.These shutter doors are the real deal and not cheapy or flimsey shutter doors,like you see on done deal and from other shutter companies for a few hundread euro.

I,ll take a pic of my shutter door tomorrow and post it up.

I wouldnt put any of those cheapy flimsy pvc coated roller doors on any shed/garage,even a shed/garage for a house,as a kid with a screwdriver or a pry bar could get through 1 of them in seconds,they are that crap and flimsey.

Pay the extra and get a propper sterngth 1,short term pain for long term gain.;)

Pic as prommised.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Basically, we're talking cheap and cheerful, easy to open and won't fall apart due to regular use. Thanks in advance.

In my experience, that's a contradiction. Cake+Eating it come to mind.

I've had 4 sectional's, insulated, over the years (different places), and wouldn't dream of using anything else. When you damage it (it happens), they're also properly repairable.

No connection other than as a customer, and I like my comfort !

I got mine from www.overheaddoor.ie

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 DohertyGDS

Some great points made here. Generally the better quality doors cost less in the long run. Try to work out the cost for each year the door will last. Go for the best value from that perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Bitten & Hisses

galwaytt wrote: »
    In my experience, that's a contradiction. Cake+Eating it come to mind.

Point taken. I eventually ordered an insulated motorised roller shutter costing around €900 ex VAT. It's for a boiler house and suits the application.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭neilr4

There are many shutter/roller door companies out there some good, most bad! The bad ones have more than likely gone out of business by now!

C&S in Finglas have a good reputation as do Paramount doors in Kingscourt and the overhead door company in Tipp, all good companies and won't rip you off!

Stay away from The shutter factory in Drogheda! They should be called 'The shirt factory' because that's what they try to take off your back. Absolute con merchants.

Speaking from personal experience and know of more unsatisfied customers.

C&S Shutters in Finglas are propper professionals and look after their customers.They did me a great deal on an industrial leccy shutter door.

I would recommend them to everyone over any other shutter company.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭uptowngirly

Ah, your back Paddy147!

I was wondering where you'd gone to!

Ah, your back Paddy147!

I was wondering where you'd gone to!

Yep I sure am back.:D

Lets just say I was eh "away" from the construction forum for a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭BMD

Anyone know if there is a difference in <SNIP>...both in kingscourt

• Advertisement

Anyone know anything about <SNIP> (also in Kingscourt)?

sorry...might have broke the rules here...apologies if I did...just trying to differentiate between all the different roller garage door companies in Kingscourt

• Registered Users Posts: 46,142 ✭✭✭✭muffler

The forum is used to discuss pricing but not individual companies.

Thanks

ok...any reason why the previous posts are allowed so??

• Registered Users Posts: 46,142 ✭✭✭✭muffler

BMD wrote: »
    ok...any reason why the previous posts are allowed so??
    Generally there isnt a problem in naming businesses/firms/companies here in this forum providing of course that the poster has no vested interest.

However any business names that are posted should be done so in the context of their pricing structure etc. We dont want a stand alone debate/opinions on a particular business without referencing costs/prices as set out in the following extracts from the forum charter.
    This forum is intended for discussing and posting all pricing and costings associated with the building industry particularly the private house sector. We would hope that fellow users will find this forum a place to both discuss prices for products and services and also a place where they can share with others the bargains they have found and also exchange recommendations, tips and advice when seeking prices for various products.
    Discussions and debates will be allowed in relation to the pricing/cost elements only but there shall be no discussion regarding the actual products or services. New threads may be opened in the appropriate forum/sub forums for such further discussions.

Hope that makes sense

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭BigGeorge

Just got a manual insulated garage door from the overhead door company recently, was about 1100 all in. Motor, if you want it, was about 350 extra.

Took about 10 days from order through to install & they colour matched the door to the house windows. Have no connection with them but was a good experience

Is it worth getting an insulated door if the garage isn't connected to your house?

My only requirement for keeping the garage insulated would be to keep my oil fired boiler from freezing or the water pump from my well

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭nager

BMD wrote: »
    My only requirement for keeping the garage insulated would be to keep my oil fired boiler from freezing or the water pump from my well

Your boiler should have a stat to stop it from freezing - ie. it will turn on if it gets down to 2 degrees (assuming your fuel doesn't freeze).
    Having an insulated door won't make much difference if your garage roof isn't insulated already - and seeing that it's not part of your house - you hardly have it insulated!

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭liamolaighin

I have gotten prices from 2 companies for motorised roller doors for my detatched garage. That will do the job just fine. I was wondering how much the builder will have allowed for a non motorised up-and-over or roller-shutter door. Just trying to figure out how much extra I will have to pay to upgrade to the motorised door. My quotes are for €750 for the motorised doors. Any help would be great.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

I see prices listed, but with "plus VAT and fitting" on some sites. Does this double the price?

Advertisement