Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Title Belts....

• 21-09-2010 6:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭

so a lot of organisations are offering belts at each weight category at each level....

so that's 3 77kg 'champions' per organisation (A, B and C class - some even offering for D)

lets say 10 organisations do this....thats 30 welter weight champions in ireland....

lol

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 204 ✭✭roo1981

I propose an 80's solution. Give them all swords and let them Highlander it out.

IN THE END THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

Yes it’s more comical that the boxing set up.
    All the more reason for an Irish MMA governing body. Surely due to basic economics a lot of the smaller organisations will fall by the way side.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Menace2Society

Lol, I know, I think it's stupid! It's the same in England, every show has one!

That's why Cage Wars do not have any title!

And what makes me giggle is alot of the shows also have a uk, european & world title all for the same weight, so instead of 3 per weight, it's 6! Crazy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

Am I missing the point,

Why would you have a belt for anything other than A class fighters at each weight?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭_oveless

I could understand why you'd have a c class title as it's technically an amateur title but why B class? Surely if a pro fighter wanted to be champ they'd make the jump to A class? Which promotions have belts anyways I only know Cage Contender and the crowd that does the ISKA belts cant think of any others but then I don't really know all the domestic events.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭bilbo79

what shows have b class titles? I think there is some exaggerating going on here, anyway there just selling tools and dont really mean anything, There is no genuine big shows in Ireland anyway just a heap of amateur ones so titles here are not important.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Chris89

bilbo79 wrote: »
    There is no genuine big shows in Ireland anyway just a heap of amateur ones so titles here are not important.

Is there not, no?

Oh right sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Jason McCabe

I think its OK for a show to have a champ but silly to call them irish champ or uk champ etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 237 ✭✭stevemc01

I think it would be ok for each show to have a champ at different weight classes, but only at a class/ pro 1 or whatever its being called nowadays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Title belts are a promotional tool. It's a tangible thing that two fighters are trying to win, creating more of a conflict and an interest in the outcome than there would be without a belt

People here know that a lot of these belts mean nothing really, but to the average punter title fights do make a card look more important. If you knew no one on the card would you go to the show with three titles on the line or the one with none?

On the plus side it might help make for more exciting fights as the fighters may put a bit more into it knowing that they could be a champion of some type

As long as there's nobody to say you can't do it, it makes sense for promotions to have titles

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Mrs Lynch

Title belts are definately a promotional tool and sometimes make for that bit more hype in a fight!!!!

I do think its madness that you could win a "Title" with the possibility it could be a total "setup". Promotions could "avoid" fighters and thus as fans we arent seeing the best!!!

I know a fighter who now I do hold with the uptmost respect but when someone first mentioned his name I didnt know who he was never mind see him fight before! I was told he was an Irish "Title" holder. I asked who he had fought and was surprised, as in the country I wouldnt have rated any of them in that weight as top 10.

Anyway point is I think he to got a wake up call when he started to fight more credible fighters, but I am pleased to say this guy is definately now a star on our scene;) His title, well I think it was an ego boaster and for the promotion it was great marketing;)

Ultimately a governing body should award the true title of "Irish Champ" taken on mathmatical statistics but thats just a whole other can of worms:eek:

Urs
    x

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭wetdogsmell

a few months ago two fighters fought for a title even though both of them had refused to fight the same fighter in the same show,

so one of them is now champion wind bag and the other is runner up wind bag (well in my opinion)

and i understand fighters not wanting there ass kicked by better fighters, but the should'nt be a champion of anything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭_oveless

a few months ago two fighters fought for a title even though both of them had refused to fight the same fighter in the same show,

so one of them is now champion wind bag and the other is runner up wind bag (well in my opinion)

and i understand fighters not wanting there ass kicked by better fighters, but the should'nt be a champion of anything

There should have been a proviso attached saying the winner had to fight the guy they ducked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Martin Walker

As far as im aware the only Promotion in Ireland with a full set of Title holders in every weight division is the EFR.
    There Professional belts have not been fought for in some time and many of the holders are now retired/semi-retired. So i suppose you could say they are now defunct.
    The Amateur (C-Class) belts are contested for regularly on the EFR Amateur day in the Ramble Inn.
    Many other promotions have random champions at different weights but not at every weight. This may be simply because they havnt got round to matching the fights they want because of the sheer number of shows running today. I dont know of any B-Class titles in Ireland.

Yes promotions do set up titles to sell tickets. So? It works. More people go to shows the more the promotion grows. Its a win win situation.

Now, I think alot of people are missing the point of these titles. They are to decide the promotions champion. Not the countries champion. (altho i think Clan Wars titles are sanctioned by the ISKA and these are broken up into regional Titles)

For example:
    Myles Price: Cage Contender Lightweight Champion.
    Does it mean hes the best in Ireland? No.
    Does it mean hes the CC champion? Yes.

Alot of people on here are saying that these belts mean very little or nothing. That is really disrespectful to the holders. They fought in a Cage against someone who wanted the belt as much as they did to get it. Do you have to run these guys down? I mean really. They are doing a sport they love and getting rewarded for there efforts. If you think they are not worthy Champions then fight them yourself.
    Does Myles Price`s Title mean nothing? Well im pretty sure it means a whole lot to Myles. He is proud to be the CC Lightweight Champion and John Ferguson is proud to have him as his Champion. Im pretty sure that the ****ty remarks about a "champion windbag" are not regarding any of the CC champions. I was just using Myles as an example.

Until the time comes around when someone finally steps up and puts together a Governing body to oversee MMA in Ireland there will never be a legitimate Irish Champion at any weight division. Just numerous Promotions Champions. To be honest i dont see a problem with this. Shows have got to make money and fighters all want a belt.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭mmmm...not sure

I think its OK for a show to have a champ but silly to call them irish champ or uk champ etc...

I think this is true also but there is a fighter that is fighting for a promtion title soon and is informing everyone that he is fighting for an Irish title, which annoys me so much as its a popular weight division he is fighting at and it already has numerous titles holders at this weight with different promotions. Im not saying have no promotion titles just make sure that fighters and all concerned are aware that it is not an Irish title.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭IFS.NI

Clan Wars are sanctioned by the ISKA who have titles from national right through to World titles. If we were not sanctioned we would most likely just have a Clan Wars title but because of the size of the ISKA and the meaning in the titles from this large organisation they have national titles right up through to the top.

The titles do mean alot to us and all the clubs/fighters involved with the ISKA - In England you have Kaobon, Wolfslair and Team rough house for example battling it out for the ISKA titles. The titles definately open doors for fighters and help get them more recognised.

The title fights are selected from the clubs who put the fighters forward then selected from there - If your not in you cant be in place for a title.

The people who know the background and credit the ISKA get involved, those you dont care then dont get involved.

Everyone has there own views and opions which is fine - if it works for you get involved, if not no worries :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭bilbo79

so a lot of organisations are offering belts at each weight category at each level....so that's 3 77kg 'champions' per organisation (A, B, C)lol
    what organisations do B class titles? Or are you just trying to make your point sound stronger.
    IFS.NI wrote: »
    Clan Wars are sanctioned by the ISKA who have titles from national right through to World titles. If we were not sanctioned we would most likely just have a Clan Wars title but because of the size of the ISKA and the meaning in the titles from this large organisation they have national titles right up through to the top.

The titles do mean alot to us and all the clubs/fighters involved with the ISKA - In England you have Kaobon, Wolfslair and Team rough house for example battling it out for the ISKA titles. The titles definately open doors for fighters and help get them more recognised.

The title fights are selected from the clubs who put the fighters forward then selected from there - If your not in you cant be in place for a title.

The people who know the background and credit the ISKA get involved, those you dont care then dont get involved.

Everyone has there own views and opions which is fine - if it works for you get involved, if not no worries :)

I've heard you run a good show but who recognises your sanctioning body in Ireland? No 1 that i know of anyway

As far as i'm concerned your titles are no more important than any others just because some kickboxing body sanction it, if the best 2 fighters in Ireland fight for your or any title that title should be seen as the true irish title

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Mrs Lynch

Just a thought for you guys/ gals!

When Stevie fought he held belts for Total Combat (England) and Sportfight (Scotland) did that make him British Champion:confused: No it didnt. Did it make him Irish Champion:confused: No it didnt. At that time (and probably still is) Rodney Moore held EFR MW (at that stage only belts in Ireland) and because of their friendship they never fought each other:cool:

No one belt can be considered better than the other imo. I think they are a promotional tool but can be good fun for the fans - definately does not mean they are the only Irish Champions;)

Urs
    x

bilbo79 wrote: »
    what organisations do B class titles? Or are you just trying to make your point sound stronger.

I've heard you run a good show but who recognises your sanctioning body in Ireland? No 1 that i know of anyway

As far as i'm concerned your titles are no more important than any others just because some kickboxing body sanction it, if the best 2 fighters in Ireland fight for your or any title that title should be seen as the true irish title

As I said previously if it works for you get involved but if not don't - I have a database full of fighters/clubs who recognise the title - true the Iska were mainly kickboxing and Muay thai but they are also doing alot more in MMA.

Bottom line is it's raising standards, opening doors and awarding titles that are world recognised even if a few on this small Island don't want to recognise it.

Those who do will progress just as the Clan Wars fighters have done already -the head of the Iska is also on the strikeforce committee as well as ties to show like Dream etc look up any info here www.iska.com for more info on all they do.

I have a statement that the ISKA are using Clan Wars and other ISKA shows for talent scouting for larger shows fom fight stars/ OMMAC as far as Dream and Strikeforce. Michael Reed is one name mentioned who was selected from Clan Wars to progress.

We have had English, Swedish,Jamacian,French, German, Spainish, American, brazilain, african fighters for example looking to get on the Clan Wars show through the ISKA that also includes past UFC and M1 challenge stars- if people don't want to recognise it or don't see what it's doing for the sport that's fine but just let the people who do recognise it progress in peace without any MMA politics. It works for us ,Clan Wars fighters, clubs from Ireland evolved with the show and the rest of the world who recognise it so that's good enough for me.

Sorry just one last thing I forgot to say - this is an ISKA Irish title.As for me thinking anything other than the good it's doing that's were it stops, I don't claim it to be the be all or end all of titles, I let the fighters progress and what it's doing for the sport speak for itself as we don't get into Irish MMA politics.

I don't think there will ever be one true Irish title that I think you are meaning because of the amount of different organisations.

I am just saying it's recognised out side of the country and is well known because of the large organisation behind it

Peace

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

I have more or less nothing to contribute except to say...

It's a bit odd to offer a title and then say "well I'm not interested in politics". The mere fact that you offer a title is a pretty powerful political statement of intent. I'm not saying you shouldn't offer it or have fighters fight for it, just that you really can't opt out of a political argument when your title is one of the main reasons for the argument.

If there are no rankings, there can be no real contenders, hence no title fights of any merit.

Re MMA Politics I am talking about the tit for tat bickering that goes on here some times, I know for a fact that's why alot of people don't post, people never seem happy unless they are stirring or drumming up controversary.I get on well and respect all the clubs and shows and I would rather see everyone supporting each other rather wasting time on my da can beat up your da conversations or talking trash - I love the sport and would rather people just get on with it, support each other or just don't get involved.

To sum it up for me there is no one body so no reason not to have show titles - as for who's or what is the best is irrelevant as people see different things that attract them to each,IMO support them all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

IFSN.NI just as a matter of intrest what route did or do fighters need to take to get and MMA ISKA title? Was there a league or a series of elimination bouts or are all Clan Wars winners Irish ISKA title holders?

siochain wrote: »
    IFSN.NI just as a matter of intrest what route did or do fighters need to take to get and MMA ISKA title? Was there a league or a series of elimination bouts or are all Clan Wars winners Irish ISKA title holders?

Hi Siochain,

Title fights are picked from fighters/clubs who put themselves forward for the running of the title and who support the show. From there it goes on everyones performances, records etc and judged on who deserves a shot - if there is a a group of talented guys we would run semi finals etc Titles are not on every show, people need to build their way up to it like any organisation.

Hope that helps

cheers

Advertisement