Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

passat wishbone bushings b6

• 21-09-2010 7:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 589 ✭✭✭

Is it easy to replace these bushings? Will a few wrenches and socket set do, or would you need any special tool for the job.

They're starting to wear and make noise and the test is coming so better stick in new ones. Can you pick these up in motor factors or do you have to go main dealer? 15 quid each ?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS0W0AXrEa5KSpGyBfTofQsnOA86npgHrQggyAeWzc15QNf6Hw&t=1&usg=__Bj050QA6Nm6PYgxoCC75CqrxosQ=

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭Neilw

Bushings are press fit into the wishbones, if you have a way of pressing them in it could be a diy job. Wishbone is not too difficult to remove.

Buy genuine vw wishbones, motor factor febi ones don't last.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Neilw wrote: »
    Bushings are press fit into the wishbones, if you have a way of pressing them in it could be a diy job. Wishbone is not too difficult to remove.

You would need a press op. I dont think a vice would do. What mileage is on it btw. I think the ones on my own car need to be done it has 256k on it.

-Corkie- wrote: »
    I think the ones on my own car need to be done it has 256k on it.

I'd say so :D Mine were gone at 56k miles!

I'd say so :D Mine were gone at 56k miles!

WOW thats early the missus passat has over that on it and shes as tight as a button. I only bought this yoke 3 months ago so they must have been done a few times....:)

WOW thats early the missus passat has over that on it and shes as tight as a button. I only bought this yoke 3 months ago so they must have been done a few times....:)

I don't drive a passat, it's a mk4 golf based car. I put genuine audi S3 bushings in it, made a huge difference.

• Advertisement

I don't drive a passat, it's a mk4 golf based car. I put genuine audi S3 bushings in it, made a huge difference.

I must remember that...;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭Moanin

I must remember that...;)

The wifes 06 Passat with 150k kms failed the nct for worn wisbone bushes and a colleagues in work 06 Passat with 40k KMs also failed on the same thing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Don't know about VWs but on my S40 it was alot less time consuming to replace the entire wishbone rather than just the bushings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 589 ✭✭✭ArraMusha

92k on the passat and they definately wont pass the test according to a lad who looked at it during the last service.

I'd say its a common problem with the passats, and Golfs.

Just wondering whats the best make of bushing to use...are the Audi ones the best??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 259 ✭✭frank gooding

Not so much that audi ones are better than vw skoda etc.

Mentioned above was bushes for a S3 a performance Audi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,521 ✭✭✭✭Esel

WOW that's early the missus passat has over that on it and she's as tight as a button.
    I normally hate when people refer to their car as 'she' and 'her'...... in this case, I'll overlook it, as you gave me a chuckle! :D:D:D

Not your ornery onager

esel wrote: »
    I normally hate when people refer to their car as 'she' and 'her'...... in this case, I'll overlook it, as you gave me a chuckle! :D:D:D

And who said I was refering to the car....:p:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 753 ✭✭✭badboyblast

My Passat failed for the wishbone gone on the far side at 45K miles. 130 Euros fitted for a new one from a friend

Right goin for a DIY on this...(wheres the holy water...dont want to make a sh**e of it). But before I jump in just 2 quick checks.

There's this link http://www.golfmkv.net/blog/archives/81#that is very good, but just shows how to do the front bushing. I also need to do the back one which is shown below, so is it easy to remove and replace the wishbone form the rear bushing?

bfaee9b961964ca3bbb2fc6a865642a4

2nd question, when I hammer out the old front bushing, can I use a vise to put the new one in? The one on that link above is a 2 part bushing I think, but the one I have looks like this, with nasty lugs on it. Any advise mush appreciated.:)
    EMS8228-0.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

Febi Blisten are OEM suppliers to many manufactures such as VW and BMW. Ive never had a problem with febi quiet the opposite in fact I always think they are top notch quality!

Febi Blisten are OEM suppliers to many manufactures such as VW and BMW. Ive never had a problem with febi quiet the opposite in fact I always think they are top notch quality!

Just advice passed on by the mechanic who looks after my car. He said febi ones only last half the time of genuine ones. Could be different for the passat platform but on the mk4 golf platform that was the advice I got. He specializes in vw's so has plenty of experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭greglo23

You could also use polybushes as they perform better, last way longer on Irish roads and are usually easier to fit.
    http://www.superpro.eu.com/Catalogue/CatalogueDisplay.aspx?MenuID=36&KitNumber=KIT5238CAK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

Not so much that audi ones are better than vw skoda etc.

Mentioned above was bushes for a S3 a performance Audi.

From having done work on my own suspension I can tell you that Audi, VW and Skoda share parts across the different platforms. For example if you order wishbones for a VW, it will also include the Audi and Skoda part number on the part i.e. its the same!

greglo23 wrote: »
    You could also use polybushes as they perform better, last way longer on Irish roads and are usually easier to fit.
    http://www.superpro.eu.com/Catalogue/CatalogueDisplay.aspx?MenuID=36&KitNumber=KIT5238CAK

Polybushes may be too harsh for a daily driver car, thay transmit more vibration into the car. I've rubber bushings in my daily car and powerflex for my project car.

DSC03736.jpg

Just finished this job...ya cant bate a well done job and the paws full of muck.

Getting the wishbone out was easy, the back bushing assembly was no problem to replace, I had a look at the front one and it didn't need replacing at all so cleaned it out and put back in the car. Puttin it back was harder you have to line everything up but a good socket set is key.

Portar now.

P.S. If anyone's looking for more info on front bushings replacement advice on a B6 passat (and they will cos the NCT fail them) PM me.:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Kichote

ArraMusha wrote: »
    EMS8228-0.jpg

I tried to replace one exactly like this with a vice but the front rubber flange kept peeling over the middle rubber part and part of it tore off. The old one that came out is not symmetric like the one above and has only a very thin slither of rubber at the front.

If I bought a genuine VW one would it also be symmetric or more like the one I removed? is there a special tool needed for installing them

Advertisement