Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charged on my credit card without my permission...

Options
  • 21-09-2010 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭

I am wondering could anyone help me with this....

I stayed in a hotel B and B in the UK for a week last week. As there were two of us, we decided to take an extra front door key with a deposit of £2.

I had to leave in a rush in the morning so my friend checked us out. She was unable to find the key (but we obviously had the original key we were given and gave that back). She said that it must be in the room somewhere and she left.

I have now checked my credit card statement online and see that they charged me £100. If I paid a deposit for the key, is he entitled to charge me like that? I also gave him my card details...which is why he was able to charge it.

Is there anything I can do? I am going to call him tomorrow, but I want a bit more concrete info as to my entitlements. I did not sign anything that said he was going to charge me if the key was lost..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Did you have to sign a registration card whenever you were checking in? If you did, there is generally a statement on there saying that you accept any and all charges accrued from your stay.

The charge sounds like (to me, anyway) a charge for the replacement of the lock. Those multiple key locks aren't cheap, plus the fitment. The B&B owner would have to have it replaced, as you are no longer staying in the property, but have access to it. It would be a security issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭sternn

The key I was given was just a standard hall door key. They usually use an electronic swipe thing, but the spare I got was an actual key.

I am presuming it is an actual charge for the replacement of the lock. I did have to sign a registration card. I just checked the terms and conditions on the website and it states that they charge £150 for replacement of keys and lock.

I have also some health and safety complaints to make. I am very annoyed that I did not take photographic evidence. They had an extension lead under the pillows to power the lamps on either side of the room. There was tension on these plugs as it had to stretch to the limit to reach.

It's looking like I have no leg to stand on...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭baldbear

You should get your friend to give you €50 for the key if the hotel won't help. That sucks. Ring them anyway.

I remember a couple of years ago i went away with a group and when we came back there was a 70 quid charge on the credit card, hostel sent an email saying it was because we left the room dirty. We split the 70 quid anyway. It was our own fault for been dirty savages.:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

contact you rbank (credit card dept )and get them to do chargeback
    My understanding is that you din't authorize the transaction for 100 pounds?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

My understanding is that you din't authorize the transaction for 100 pounds?

The OP did (technically) when they signed the registration card and the circumstances fulfilling the T&C's arose

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

The key I was given was just a standard hall door key. They usually use an electronic swipe thing, but the spare I got was an actual key

The key looks like a standard key, but opens a couple of different locks. As in it opens your door, and the front door, but not others.

You could write to the B&B, complaining about the issues, but to be honest, it sounds like you are complaining now for the sake of it. If you had raised the issues at the time, the B&B could have done something about it there and then.

I'd say lesson learned. Don't lose things!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

sternn wrote: »
    I had to leave in a rush in the morning so my friend checked us out. She was unable to find the key (but we obviously had the original key we were given and gave that back).
    I have now checked my credit card statement online and see that they charged me £100. If I paid a deposit for the key, is he entitled to charge me like that? I also gave him my card details...which is why he was able to charge it.
    I am presuming it is an actual charge for the replacement of the lock. I did have to sign a registration card. I just checked the terms and conditions on the website and it states that they charge £150 for replacement of keys....

I think you have answered your own question here. You signed a registration card which told you of a big bill for losing a key and you then lost it. When you signed it you accepted the fee. I cannot see how you can fight it.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

How about this:
    I just checked the terms and conditions on the website and it states that they charge £150 for replacement of keys and lock.
    You agreed to be charged £150 for replacement of keys and lock. But they did not. Instead they
    they charged me £100.
    I'm curious about this. Did they say that they'd "charge £150", or that they'd "they charge upto £150"?

How they word it may benefit you.

Advertisement