Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Purpose Knife

Options
  • 21-09-2010 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭

As above, I am looking for an all purpose knife for around the farm mostly and general use. I have about 20 knives in the house already but all are either too heavy, too big or can;t be sharpened. I was looking at this one http://www.amazon.co.uk/Puma-09RC-Pilot-Knife/dp/B0017HBB9Y/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&s=sports&qid=1285096562&sr=1-14
    Any thoughts or references? Any feedback is much appreciated as always:) Ps. what I like about this one is the size, only 3" closed and looks rather rugged. Would be handy in the phoca.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

I have a leatherman skeletool as a general purpose knife pliers and screw driver
    The other all purpose cheap as chips and absolutely class knife i have is an Opinel

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

opinel no. 8 all the knife you need around a farm, i use it for everything including detailing fox, around €7 in most outdoor shops

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

For just general purpose use, I use a Gerber ripstop:
    22-01614-1.jpg

Folds up nice and small with a pocket clip, has a pretty sturdy blade. I tend to use it more than the swiss army knife for anything that'd use the ordinary blade on the swiss army knife.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Sparks wrote: »
    22-01614-1.jpg

Folds up nice and small with a pocket clip, has a pretty sturdy blade. I tend to use it more than the swiss army knife for anything that'd use the ordinary blade on the swiss army knife.

+1

I have a few gerber bits.
    An under rated knife.(in Ireland Leatherman or Victorinox are household names)

I hope to get the axe with knife (magnetic fits in handle) for camping etc.
    http://www.gerberuk.com/index.php/product/id/292

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

Sparks wrote: »
    22-01614-1.jpg

Something like this I was thinking too. As you say folds up nice and small for the pocket. I have an opinel already but the blade is too thin for a lifetime of sharpenings. But they are a wicked little knife when sharp.

• Advertisement

Bought one of these earlier. Hope it's as good as it's reviews. http://www.bkcg.com/products/manu/sog/sog303.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Opinel No. 7 and get the Lansky sharpening system. Cheap, light, blade holds an edge very well and you won't give a damn if you lose it because you can buy them most anywhere.

I prefer the ones that lock though. However them opinels are light to carry and so easy sharpen. Ould fella used them for footrot and paring.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭demonloop

kay 9 wrote: »
    I prefer the ones that lock though. However them opinels are light to carry and so easy sharpen. Ould fella used them for footrot and paring.

You can lock an Opinel ;)

How? :o First I heard. Hmmm I must have a look now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

I bought this knife and a Gerber LED torch for €20 best value ever. Very sharp knife, pliers, philips and flathead, bottle opener and nail file for the "ladies" lol
    128616.jpg

Handy as a pot under a bed ;)

How? :o First I heard. Hmmm I must have a look now.

Theres a rotating collar, near the joint which locks the blade when rotated ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

As Demonloop said, you can lock an Opinel.

Cheers for the replies lads:) Hope this new one is as simple and easy sharpen as the opinel.

Advertisement