Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ploughing Championships for Ag Science.

• 21-09-2010 8:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭

I took up Ag Science a few weeks ago & i'm wondering is it worth goin' to the Ploughing Championships (for the folder etc) Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭!!!

Eh no!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

NotExactly wrote: »
    I took up Ag Science a few weeks ago & i'm wondering is it worth goin' to the Ploughing Championships (for the folder etc) Thanks.

If you have only taken it up and you don't have much experience it can be useful. You will see all the cattle and sheep breeds there and they will all be in individual pens with their names beside them so you'll know which is which and you can take photos. All the types of machinery will be on display and plenty of agricultural contractors have stands there so you can get leaflets and information on different aspects of agriculture: crops, diseases, treatment for animals etc. You can use this information in your project. I've brought my classes before and found it useful.

!!! wrote: »
    Eh no!

Seriously??? Do you even know what Ag Science entails?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 nb93

Hey.. Well I'm goin to the ploughin with my ag science class tomorow and we all have to pick some aspect of a stall at the ploughin to do a project on. Only problem is I have no I have no idea what to do. Have to do about ten pages on it so has to be somethin decent. I put down tractors provisionally but I think that it's a bit broad. Any suggestions for an interesting topic thats is easy to write about, and what stall to go to tomorow..:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

Seriously??? Do you even know what Ag Science entails?
    Ah here, let's be realistic. I went to the ol' NPC last year, with my only aim being getting stuff for my project. Free pens do not make good project material :o

Healium wrote: »
    Ah here, let's be realistic. I went to the ol' NPC last year, with my only aim being getting stuff for my project. Free pens do not make good project material :o

Funny, I don't go for the free pens. I go and collect the booklets of recommended crop varieties, leaflets on diseases and how to combat them, breed information given out in the cattle and sheep, to take photos of machinery - prime opportunity to get all types of machinery in one place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Funny, I don't go for the free pens. I go and collect the booklets of recommended crop varieties, leaflets on diseases and how to combat them, breed information given out in the cattle and sheep, to take photos of machinery - prime opportunity to get all types of machinery in one place.
    ... and to get bogged down in the "carpark", if you were unlucky enough to be there to-day! :pac:

... and to get bogged down in the "carpark", if you were unlucky enough to be there to-day! :pac:

My principal thinks that wanting to take 18 LC boys away at 7am to traipse around the PC showing them cattle and sheep as a good day out (not-educational) for me. I didn't get there this year. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

NotExactly wrote: »

if your a farmer no - if your a city slicker yes because it'll help to know what a cow looks like basically I suppose...

just go for the day's outing at the worst of time - it's always pretty good anyways and worth a look but educationally - ehhhh... well unless you don't know what a tractor or cow looks like then...

the handouts and leaflets will probably come in handy for the project though

but really and truly unless you haven't a clue at all your not going to learn a whole lot - but I recommend that you go for the days outing nonetheless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

As I said, I didn't go for free pens, either. I picked up every leaflet I could, and when I got home, none of it was suitable for my project

Healium wrote: »
    As I said, I didn't go for free pens, either. I picked up every leaflet I could, and when I got home, none of it was suitable for my project

Ya, there's loads of rubbish there, you do have to have a flick through them first before you collect them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

And 'tis over for another year ... though I'm not sure if they have all the cars out yet! >_>

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement