Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

upc - will i get the speeds advertised?

Comments

The Epc2425's wireless let's it down to be honest. But ya..to make use of UPC's high speeds you need to get yourself a decent router.

Yep, I have the EPC2203 modem with an AVM Fritz!Box running on 802.11n at 5 GHz. But I'm moving next week and can't transfer the account across (it's not in my name) so I'd assume I'll get the EPC2425 and have to bridge it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 291 ✭✭KennyLegend

Karsini wrote: »
    Yep, I have the EPC2203 modem with an AVM Fritz!Box running on 802.11n at 5 GHz. But I'm moving next week and can't transfer the account across (it's not in my name) so I'd assume I'll get the EPC2425 and have to bridge it.

Just beware if you bridge it you can't use it with UPC phone (if you take the phone option).

I just turned off the wireless option and got myself a good wireless router.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Roland27

Lads, in relation to the problems I was having with my 15Mb connection I mentioned earlier, I decided to try via a lan cable instead of wireless, but I am still getting the same problems. Speedtest tell me everything is dandy but some sites just take forever to load when they shouldn't. Is there anything I need to do to get it work with wires? I have restarted the router but with no effect?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Roland27 wrote: »
    Lads, in relation to the problems I was having with my 15Mb connection I mentioned earlier, I decided to try via a lan cable instead of wireless, but I am still getting the same problems. Speedtest tell me everything is dandy but some sites just take forever to load when they shouldn't. Is there anything I need to do to get it work with wires? I have restarted the router but with no effect?

Could be a DNS problem, if you use the EPC2425 then you're SOL...
    If not you could try changing to OpenDNS or Google DNS.

bealtine wrote: »
    Could be a DNS problem, if you use the EPC2425 then you're SOL...
    If not you could try changing to OpenDNS or Google DNS.

Thanks man, but not sure what you mean. I do have the EPC2425 alright, but plenty of lads here in this thread have already said it should work fine as wired: (KennyLegend: PEOPLE....the supplied UPC router is fine as a wired modem but the wireless is pure crap.)

Not sure what you mean by changing to "OpenDNS or Google DNS" either.

• Advertisement

He means log in to your router and change the dns servers to the google dns servers. Google it for the ip.
    Some people have had good results with this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

(KennyLegend: PEOPLE....the supplied UPC router is fine as a wired modem but the wireless is pure crap.)

Not sure what you mean by changing to "OpenDNS or Google DNS" either.

The EPC2435 is utter crap no matter how you look at it...but that's just my opinion of it. I now am the proud owner of an SA2203 and they won't pry it from my cold dead hands:)
    The version I had wouldn't allow you to change the DNS settings in the router.
    It was hard coded to only use the UPC DNS servers.

Anyway to try it log into the modem and use 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.8.4 as DNS settings instead of the UPC ones

Agree about the crap router.
    Got 30mb installed yesterday, most i can get from the wireless part is around 19mb on speedtest, whereas wired gets me 29.56mb.

Can i just buy a new cable wifi router to swap with this Cisco crap?
    I have the phone package with UPC too so they are plugged into the Cisco, am i limited to bridging with a wifi router or can i just buy a new one.?

Anyone recommend a router that works well?
    Thanks.

You cannot replace the cisco epc2425. If you depend on the UPC phone, the best you can do is turn off the wireless Function and connect it to another wireless router.
    Have a browse around the forum..,nearly every few posts is on this topic.

Any decent wireless router will work. Netgear, Linksys, DLink, buffalo are popular choices.

Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Going by my speeds from downloading from usenet here, I typically get my advertised speed from midnight to 4PMish and usually get 15Mb outside of that.

30/3Meg
    980734321.png
    25543169.png

Lads, following up on my earlier posts in this thread, my problems with my UPC broadband have still not be resolved – a month on.

Basically the problem is when I do a pingtest I get a Packlet loss of 85%, grade F, which is obviously terrible. A technician came out and looked at it and it said its likely an "outside fault on the second line", and "too much noise". But then a 'Second line technician' came out and said there is no problem with the second line, and so the problem is ongoing. I really don't know what the problem is here and its obviously frustrating as feck, but I have made it clear to them I'm not paying for this broadband service until the issue is resolved, which they have acknowledged.

Also, another thing to note, the technician I was talking to over the phone said, after I told him my ping results were terrible, that the Cisco EPC 2425 modem is "not compatible" with pingtest.net. I tried to get him to clarify what he meant by this but he was Polish and so communication was difficult. Is there any truth to this, do we think? Why would the results I get from pingtest.net be unreliable just because of the modem I have?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Broadband Kid

Lads, following up on my earlier posts in this thread, my problems with my UPC broadband have still not be resolved – a month on.

Basically the problem is when I do a pingtest I get a Packlet loss of 85%, grade F, which is obviously terrible. A technician came out and looked at it and it said its likely an "outside fault on the second line", and "too much noise". But then a 'Second line technician' came out and said there is no problem with the second line, and so the problem is ongoing. I really don't know what the problem is here and its obviously frustrating as feck, but I have made it clear to them I'm not paying for this broadband service until the issue is resolved, which they have acknowledged.

Also, another thing to note, the technician I was talking to over the phone said, after I told him my ping results were terrible, that the Cisco EPC 2425 modem is "not compatible" with pingtest.net. I tried to get him to clarify what he meant by this but he was Polish and so communication was difficult. Is there any truth to this, do we think? Why would the results I get from pingtest.net be unreliable just because of the modem I have?

Firstly Change the following option on the Firewall of your Modem, go to Setup/ Firewall:- Options - Uncheck "IP Flood Detection" and this should change your result from an F to an A.

Firstly Change the following option on the Firewall of your Modem, go to Setup/ Firewall:- Options - Uncheck "IP Flood Detection" and this should change your result from an F to an A.

Thanks, but I'm on a Mac, and so the only settings I have under Firewall are on or off. There is nothing about "IP Flood Detection".

Thanks, but I'm on a Mac, and so the only settings I have under Firewall are on or off. There is nothing about "IP Flood Detection".

Being on a Mac is irrelevant, the configuration page is on the modem. Try http://192.168.1.1 or http://192.168.100.1

Being on a Mac is irrelevant, the configuration page is on the modem. Try http://192.168.1.1 or http://192.168.100.1

I see, thank you. When I click on those links it asks for a username and password, but how do I find out what they are?

I see, thank you. When I click on those links it asks for a username and password, but how do I find out what they are?

I don't have this modem myself but I think you just leave both fields blank (unless you've changed them).

I don't have this modem myself but I think you just leave both fields blank (unless you've changed them).

Tried that but it didn't work. Says "Authorization is required to access the configuration server. You must enter the correct username and/or password."

Anyone know how find the name and password for my ****ty Cisco EPC 2425 modem so I can Uncheck "IP Flood Detection"? Thanks.

Ah, some browsers don't like blank usernames and passwords. Try another if you can.

• Advertisement

Holy sweet mother of god, its worked... :eek:

I accessed the modem via a different browser like you said, and then unchecked "IP Flood Detection", and hey presto, my pingtest's are grade A's and every site is flying along opening perfectly.

Thank you so much Broadband Kid and Karsini, you don't know how much this was bustin my balls! This problem has been ongoing ever since i got the BB a month ago, and have had lodged countless calls to UPC and had two technicians call to my house, and yet they had no idea what the problem was. Its rather pathetic to think they operated like that when the solution was just a case of clicking something in my settings. Amazing. Thanks again.

Happy to hear it! :)

That's the thing about UPC, the service itself is among the best in the country but their customer support is appalling.

Indeed, thats putting it mildly about their customer support.

One further thought, as I have arranged with UPC for a further technician to call out to try fix my problem, should I ring them and let them know I got it fixed and how I done it? (if, indeed, it remains fixed)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 KsW

Hey guys I was thinking of switching from vodafone to upc. However Vodafone has told me that my line can only handle 4 meg. If I switch to upc will i be able to go above that? Is it on a different line or what?

UPC use their television cables so if you're in a cabled area then you might be able to get them. It's a completely different technology to ADSL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 KsW

Ok im with upc for my TV so I can get it?

KsW wrote: »
    Ok im with upc for my TV so I can get it?

Where are you? If you're receiving UPC via cable then you can use the availability check on their website - if your area has been upgraded in the last 10/15 years then you have a good chance. If you're using MMDS (via an aerial) then no you can't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 ConorHughes

the 80%+ packet loss on pingtest.net means nothing. Someone on this forum already said it dosen't effect your connection, if you have Ip flood detection on or off. Just that pingtest send a large amount of packets to your modem so it see's that as a threat.

the 80%+ packet loss on pingtest.net means nothing. Someone on this forum already said it dosen't effect your connection, if you have Ip flood detection on or off. Just that pingtest send a large amount of packets to your modem so it see's that as a threat.

Not sure about that. I had 80%+ packet loss and my connection was crawling along, going terrible, until I turned the Ip flood detection off, and then i was getting no packet loss and then my connection was perfect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Great tip... Thanks. 250 packets sent - 250 received.

Advertisement