Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FTP Server

• 21-09-2010 8:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭

Posted this in Netts and Comms , not getting much interest so.....

Having a bit of trouble setting up an FTP serverusing filezilla server, I have forwarded ports 20 and 21 on my router (Netgear WGR614V9)and gave my PC a static IP within my own network.

I still cant connect from outside using the external IP I get from UPC , or even from other computers connected to the network.

Not sure what else i need to do?????

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 953 ✭✭✭hearny

You will need to test the using computers on the network before you worry about external networks.

Make sure the computer is getting the correct ip address. Go to a local machine on the network and see if you can ping the pc.

Try to access using filezilla.

Do you get an error message.

Next Disable any firewall you have running on the pc and try again.

If you still can't connect there is a windows utility called port query that you can download you can also get port query ui (just an interface to the command line version) this can be used from the second pc on the network to check to see if the port is open / closed or being filtered.

Run this and let me know the result. In the mean time I will set up a test server to see the setup. It's a long time since I've done it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭akamossie

if your ftp working internally then the only thing you need is setup a port forward in your router to access externally, ftp port 20 and 21.

check this website will explain how to setupyour port forward for your router.

http://www.portforward.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Can ping the pc no problem from another pc connected to the router and get a response.

I can share files over my network no problem aswel....as in brows the network.

Just noticed that when i start the FTP server that it is starting with the loopback address 127.0.0.1

My internal IP's all start with 19.20.x.x (changed it from 192.168.x.x).

hope this helps solve my issue.

Here is the process I went through to set it up.
    1) Install Filezilla Server
    2) Run Filezilla Server Interface Address: 127.0.0.1, port 14147, password is blank
    3) Under Edit click settings and confirm the listening port is 21
    4) Go to My Computer and Create a Folder called filezilla
    5) Inside This folder create another folder for your users
    6) Under Edit click groups then add a group called users, make sure "enable access for users inside group", under shared folders click add, select the filezilla flder you just created and select the rights then select ok.
    7) Click Edit then users then click add, enter username and select the group you just created, tick the password and then enter your desired password, then click shared folders click add, select the folder you created for the user and again tick the access rights, click ok.
    8) Leave the Server Interface Open then try to connect to the ftp server using filezilla client or the command prompt, making note of any errors in the server interface. Settings are host: 127.0.0.1, port: 21, username and password of newly created user.

Any particular reason why you changed the IP addresses.

PortQueryui will test the port to see if traffic is being blocked
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=8355E537-1EA6-4569-AABB-F248F4BD91D0

Not sure if you need the Portquery command line to go with it
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310099

• Advertisement

I just chznged it as a test , currently learning about DNS and DHCP in my course.

Were u able to connect when u set it up like that?

I was, Im running windows xp with windows firewall turned off.
    You could try connect from the same machine before doing any of that.

ok so i have it set up using the settings you listed , and i can connnect from the same machine using the 127.0.0.1 loopback address.....now what lol

Can you connect from a pc on the network

If you pm me the IP address I can test it with portquery

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

What error message do you getwhen you try to connect? If you use Filezilla client then you should see a log at the top of the screen which might help shed some light.

More importantly, there are 2 ways of connecting to an FTP server (Active & Passive mode) and they both have completely different firewall implications. Read about the differences here.

You'd be best to turn off your Windows firewall completely for the moment and only try connecting from the LAN until you have everything working.

When trying to connect with filezilla I get "ECONNREFUSED - Connection refused by server".

If I query the port with portqueryUI I get "TCP port 21 (ftp service): NOT LISTENING"

There are 2 possibilities here:

The first is a firewall is blocking the connection, just because it will allow the local adapter to connect does not mean it will allow other machines.
    Test it using a local pc / laptop on the network.
    If it doesn't work disable your firewall and try again.
    Let me know what firewall you are using and if it worked.

The second is that port forwarding has not been set up properly but it really is better to make sure that the server will accept connections from a machine on the network first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,580 ✭✭✭swampgas

Haven't used Filezilla but had similar issues with vsftpd on Linux. Forwarding ports 20 and 21 is not enough, because of the weird way FTP operates in passive mode (PASV). In effect the ftp server gives the client a new port to use to connect to the server. The firewall is unlikely to allow a new packet on the new port through.
    One option is to port forward a small range of ports (say 5100 - 5150) to the FTP server as well as 20 and 21. Then configure the ftp server to use ports in this range for PASV. With vsftpd you set pasv_min_port and pasv_max_port. On filezilla, I have no idea.

As my gateway router wasn't that smart I also had to use "pasv_address=x.y.z.w"
    where x.y.z.w was the external (WAN) IP address. The downside with this is that it prevents access from the internal network. Again I don't know if filezilla has an equivalent setting.

Good explanation of PASV here: http://slacksite.com/other/ftp.html

The Router should automatically forward any packets to the higher ports once the connection on port 21 is established.

Filezilla server is working on my system with the setup described with only ports 20 and 21 forwarded by the router, although there is no harm in adding a higher range. I added 6750-6800 on the router, then in filezilla server settings under Passive Mode Settings the following options are in use: External Server IP is default, Dont Use External IP for local connections is ticked, Use custom port range is ticked and fields are 6750 and 6800.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,580 ✭✭✭swampgas

hearny wrote: »
    The Router should automatically forward any packets to the higher ports once the connection on port 21 is established.

Interesting - what make/model is the router?

The Router is a cheap TP-Link Model number TL-WR641G.

Just an update on this , i have the server up and working got a mate to log in from his home pc , works a treat

Cheers hearny.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

19.20.x.x is not a private IP range. When you ping that address are you sure you are not pinging another server somewhere on the internet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 itmonkey

Nevermind .... I just read the thread fully and see that my comment was already suggested. Sorry :|

I.T. Monkey
    www.itmonkey.ie

Advertisement