Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2013 major solar flare

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I suspect we are overdue another "Carrington Event" like the 1859 hit and indeed the 1870 one which is not as well known.

Whether we get it in 2013 is another matter. Such a flare has to hit us bang on and we are a small target at 100m miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

It will probably just signal the end of the World... food will become scarce and pasty faced neighbours motivated by violent hunger will devour the aged and other vulnerable members of the community. Ingestion of human flesh will inevitably lead to nutritional deficiences that will result in the remaining humans becoming surley and prone to irrational behaviour.

Not gonna be pretty I'm afraid, but sure its best to look on the bright side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

qotw_cropped.jpg

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

it says all our power systems would fry with the solar storms.

i think someone at the esb control centre might have the idea to turn off the power before the storms arrive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Kefuie

That was three years from now... I can't imagine if all the people living in the earth will be toasted/grilled alive!:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

How long do these storms last? Is it a matter of hours, days or months? Can you imagine all the power turned off in Ireland; no phones, no lights, no water for a lot of the country, no transport including cars, no Xbox (my son would turn psycho :D).

Even if everyone stayed home during them it would be a nightmare. No access to medical treatment, looting, home invasions, robberies. I'd imagine a huge part of the population would turn back to the church (if the storms go on for any amount of time) as there is safety and comfort in large numbers of people gathered peacefully in one place.

With any luck the world will end on 21.12.12 and we won't have to worry about it. :D

How long do these storms last? Is it a matter of hours, days or months? Can you imagine all the power turned off in Ireland; no phones, no lights, no water for a lot of the country, no transport including cars, no Xbox (my son would turn psycho :D).

Even if everyone stayed home during them it would be a nightmare. No access to medical treatment, looting, home invasions, robberies.

Sounds like Castlebar.

As for turning back to the Church / safety in numbers you can become an altar boy if you want, I'll stay in the woods with my back to an oak tree. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭IMC042

If its hot enough to burn power & telecommunication lines is it not hot enough to burn human skin too???

i dont have a basement :eek:

IMC042 wrote: »
    If its hot enough to burn power & telecommunication lines is it not hot enough to burn human skin too???

i dont have a basement :eek:

Wrap yourself in tin foil... if you start roasting at least you won't spit all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

snow ghost wrote: »
    Sounds like Castlebar.

As for turning back to the Church / safety in numbers you can become an altar boy if you want, I'll stay in the woods with my back to an oak tree. ;)

Don't be silly. I'll be out robbing when everyone else is in church and you are facing a dryad the wrong way. :p

• Advertisement
Advertisement