Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Canon 70-200L F4 is or non IS

• 21-09-2010 8:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi everyone, I have a canon 7d with the 15-85 lense and have finally saved up the funds for the canon 70-200L F4 IS version but over the last day or so i have been debating with myself whether to get the non IS version as i will be mostly be using this lense outdoors (without tripod) and using the saved money to get the EF 85mm F1.8 Lense and Canon 430 EX II flash gun for indoor work, also if i was going to go this road would i be better off getting the EF 70-300mm F4-5.6 IS USM lense instead of the non IS version of the 70-200L F4 for the extra reach and the IS. Just one note to add to this is that image quality is the most important thing to me. Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

If its image quality then the Pro 200 L lens is the one to go for. For outdoor work handheld the IS is nice to have. I am a Nikon user and have the 70 200
    F2.8 with VR, I love the VR for handheld. You can always get a teleconverter to give you extra reach if you really need it.
    VR=IS

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭shanona

i have the 70-200L f4 IS (Canon) but wow. I kick myself every time for not getting the 70-200 f2.8 IS because i'm always shooting indoors (weddings). Guh. I hate it! BUT it is an amazing lens for outdoors and i've gotten some beautiful shots with it. I think that IS is a very important component if you want the reach plus a clear image, hand held - but this is my humble opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭jpfahy

If you don't get the IS version you'll regret it later :(

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Thin White Duck

I faced the same dilemma myself a few months back but went f4L IS as I was going to be grabbing some candid indoor shots at my sister's wedding. Haven't look back since and got some pin-sharp shots from it. Personally, I passed on the 2.8 (also a stunning lens) as it was simply too big and too heavy to fit in the kit bag for everyday use - the IS version offered the compromise of being smaller and lighter but offering me a few stops of lower shutter speed.

Agree with pixbyjohn that the 70-200L is the way forward over the 70-300 - the IQ is amazing and it focuses relaibly and in an instant. At the end of the day either the IS or non IS version will end up being one of the best you'll ever own.

Advertisement