Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How To Change Courses?

Options
  • 21-09-2010 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Anybody know off-hand how to go about changing courses? Really not enjoying Computer Science, and I don't see the point in studying something I don't enjoy - I just won't be motivated to do any study. I want to switch over to the Science omnibus. I'm going to go find out how to sort it out tomorrow, anyway

Will the Science omnibus pose any further difficulties? With different streams and such....

(Also, am I silly to give up so easily? I just think I should study something that I enjoy - didn't do enough research on the course and it's now not what I expected)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Sorry :(

For what it's worth I know a friend who transferred last year from Engineering to Science Omnibus so it's definitely possible, but I'm not sure when exactly in the year he did it.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Joneser

Hi Healium, saw your post in the comp sci thread, if you are looking to change courses you would want to head over to the science programme office, on the middle floor of the science hub, opposite the help desk. I would say to give it a go a bit longer, unless you are sure you won't get into it, although the drop out rate in first year for the course is usually very high (I think about a third of my class dropped out in 1st year.) I'm sure the programme office is used to people wanting to switch courses. Go as soon as possible because there may be a deadline on when you are allowed to switch courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

Joneser wrote: »
    Hi Healium, saw your post in the comp sci thread, if you are looking to change courses you would want to head over to the science programme office, on the middle floor of the science hub, opposite the help desk. I would say to give it a go a bit longer, unless you are sure you won't get into it, although the drop out rate in first year for the course is usually very high (I think about a third of my class dropped out in 1st year.) I'm sure the programme office is used to people wanting to switch courses. Go as soon as possible because there may be a deadline on when you are allowed to switch courses.
    Thanks!

Well, I haven't enjoyed any of the lectures after a week, which is probably a strong indication. I just didn't realize there'd be so much maths :rolleyes: I just don't think it's for me...

Apparently this isn't as easy as it seems... I have to wait until 2nd semester to switch over :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Moshimoshi

Healium wrote: »
    Apparently this isn't as easy as it seems... I have to wait until 2nd semester to switch over :confused:

That's what I was told, too. (I want to switch from omnibus science into a denominated course)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Yes that is pretty normal. A lot of people think switching courses is easy because a few people can do it quickly, but it can often be trickier to arrange.

Have you checked whether there are any fees issues? Will you effectively be starting Stage 1 Semester 1 again in January?

I'll also quote myself from a different thread!
    The OP will have to do the transfer very quickly, otherwise what I said is still true. The approach I said is the way to transfer courses. First step is to contact a student advisor, then contact the Programme Office and get it sorted ASAP. Otherwise a semester may have to be repeated (the word repeat is technically correct in the scenario I'm giving, even if the OP is actually restarting)if the process is not complete in due time. Not all courses are as simple as swapping from one to the other. I was just making the OP aware of one possibility.

Regarding the HEA and fees, it is not just possibly correct, it is 100% correct. I have experience dealing with transfers and people often end up paying fees. The key is to get it sorted soon and prevent that happening.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=67987695&highlight=parker+kent#post67987695

Moshimoshi wrote: »
    That's what I was told, too. (I want to switch from omnibus science into a denominated course)
    I'll take your place ;)
    Yes that is pretty normal. A lot of people think switching courses is easy because a few people can do it quickly, but it can often be trickier to arrange.

Have you checked whether there are any fees issues? Will you effectively be starting Stage 1 Semester 1 again in January?

I'll also quote myself from a different thread!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=67987695&highlight=parker+kent#post67987695
    No idea. Spoke to Joe Carthy today, speaking to the Dean Of Science tomorrow. Anyone else I should speak to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

I'll take your place ;)

No idea. Spoke to Joe Carthy today, speaking to the Dean Of Science tomorrow. Anyone else I should speak to?

Talk to the Programme Office and the Student Desk.

Advertisement