Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DSLR for beginner-ish

• 21-09-2010 9:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 827 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys

I have taken pictures/messing about in the past with other peoples camera's on loan so its time to bite the bullet and get my own!

Im looking at two types
    Canon Rebel XS 1000D
    Or
    Nikon D3000 or D5000

I'd be using it for everything really sports etc or would you suggest something else?

J

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Bit of a cheeky plug, but I'd suggest my D50, second hand -they're a great camera and a top starter kit if I say so mysef :)

Failing that, the D3000 has just been replaced by the D3100, so I'd get one of them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭bren2002

I'd recommend a used camera too. Ideally buy one in a family that you plan on continuing with. That way your investment in lens, flashes etc. isn't wasted. Plus if and when you move on, you've got backup body.

Shop around though, plenty of D50's for around & under €300 the Bay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Old Perry

Hi Guys

I have taken pictures/messing about in the past with other peoples camera's on loan so its time to bite the bullet and get my own!

Im looking at two types
    Canon Rebel XS 1000D
    Or
    Nikon D3000 or D5000

I'd be using it for everything really sports etc or would you suggest something else?

J

That is a pretty good deal it has to said and i dont think 4.5k shutter actuations is that high, one thing i done wrong when buying my first SLR was went for the most up to date body i could find which i think was a mistake after using a few of the older models and realisen that theres not much difference in some of them,for the extra couple of hundred you pay you could invest in a quality lense which i think might do ya better.
    Just my experience of it though,search through some threads here you might find some useful info, best of luck with it anyways :)

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭shanona

i started with a Canon Rebel xt back in the day (in Seattle). It was my very first ever DSLR and served me faithfully for quite a few years before i upgraded. I got it new, and was completely happy.
    HOWEVER, if you can get a nice used Canon 40D - it will be a great camera for you. It's perfect for a beginner, but i do know several professionals who still own and love their 40D.

My husband bought his used and he says it was one of the best decisions ever.

best luck!

Advertisement