Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ahern to Use Undercover Kids

Options
  • 21-09-2010 9:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭

Dermot Ahern, Minister for Justice, is set to use kids from 15-17 in sting operations next month by sending them into licenced premises to try and buy alcohol.

This is in a effort to .... wait for it... crack down on kids buying alcohol.

Nice one Dermot - you really have proven this time, without any shadow of a doubt, that you are a complete & utter moron.

Link; http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2010/0921/breaking62.html
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

the kids are using ahern here, they'll be able to tell their mates who'll serve them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭dan185

and what exactly is the issue with this?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

The title is misleading...............:pac::pac::pac:

dan185 wrote: »

The Minister is getting them to break the law.......:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭strokemyclover

Dermot Ahern. Stern. Stern but fair!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

dan185 wrote: »

I'm guessing because it's an idea from the current government.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Me thinks Mr. Aherne has been watching too much 21 Jump Street. Idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

how do the kids apply for this job?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Nice one Dermot - you really have proven this time, without any shadow of a doubt, that you are a complete & utter moron.

How does this make him a moron?

Gardai send in Youths, to attempt to buy drink, and if successful - the gardai will take action.

Doesnt seem very stupid to me

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Which Hern?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

I think that they've been doing this for a while. I've certainly heard about "secret shoppers"(I think that was the term used :p) several years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭ronanc15

Sure that is being done for years? How else would you suggest they test off licences and shops for serving to underage people?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

They arn't breaking the law if he changes it.

Might make offies think twice about serving underage, and less under age drinking Im all for!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Sanjuro wrote: »
    Me thinks Mr. Aherne has been watching too much 21 Jump Street. Idiot.

Now that's a vintage reference that might be lost on some people! :eek: :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

galwayrush wrote: »
    The Minister is getting them to break the law.......:rolleyes:

The kids aren't breaking the law at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

BREAKING NEWSHundreds Gather For Funeral Of Tortured Spy
    N.Zealand burn-off sends dope smoke over school

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/18/20100921/tod-n-zealand-burn-off-sends-dope-smoke-7f81b96.html

Ahern's not that bad, they've gone to pot altogether over in New Zealand.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Ah now, starbel, I usually agree with you however, Imma stop you right there, Beyonce had the greatest video of all time....er, yeah.

It happens all the time, jung'uns going into the shops trying to buy booze/smokes, and the shop gets reported. I don't see what this is making the papers for.

Its a standard practise to find out what shops/pubs are breaking the law.

efb wrote: »
    They arn't breaking the law if he changes it.

Might make offies think twice about serving underage, and less under age drinking Im all for!!!!

Agree, but most underage kids who want the booze will do as the've always done, get someone old enough to buy it for them.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

snyper wrote: »
    How does this make him a moron?

Gardai send in Youths, to attempt to buy drink, and if successful - the gardai will take action.

Doesnt seem very stupid to me

It seems idiotic to me. The Gardai already have the powers to ID people who look underage... if there's a problem with enforcement as it stands, it's because the Gardai either don't have enough resources to police it properly or just don't bother.

Using children to help them enforce a law that is not enforced, therefor, seems like a rather bizzare thing to do. And it is, in all essence, using them.

We're not talking about adults here, but kids, who really have no place in Garda operations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

galwayrush wrote: »
    Agree, but most underage kids who want the booze will do as the've always done, get someone old enough to buy it for them.:rolleyes:

Agreed but closing channels limits supply, making the amount of drunk knackbags harassing me smaller.

• Advertisement

Ah now, starbel, I usually agree with you however, Imma stop you right there, Beyonce had the greatest video of all time....er, yeah.

It happens all the time, jung'uns going into the shops trying to buy booze/smokes, and the shop gets reported. I don't see what this is making the papers for.

Its a standard practise to find out what shops/pubs are breaking the law.

Yes - what happens now is that shops get reported for selling to underage kids. I have absolutely no problem with that.

What I have a problem with, is that Gardai will now be actively recruiting children & using them to aid them in sting operations, which in my opinion is a step too far.

They'll even be using kids as young as 15 - kids not even old enough to legally work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭sagat2

Yes - what happens now is that shops get reported for selling to underage kids. I have absolutely no problem with that.

What I have a problem with, is that Gardai will now be actively recruiting children & using them to aid them in sting operations, which in my opinion is a step too far.

They'll even be using kids as young as 15 - kids not even old enough to legally work.

Sending kids into pubs to catch those selling to them is standard practice in the US and many other countries. Big deal out of nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

It seems idiotic to me. The Gardai already have the powers to ID people who look underage... if there's a problem with enforcement as it stands, it's because the Gardai either don't have enough resources to police it properly or just don't bother.

Using children to help them enforce a law that is not enforced, therefor, seems like a rather bizzare thing to do. And it is, in all essence, using them.

We're not talking about adults here, but kids, who really have no place in Garda operations.

Surely its a much more efficient use of resources to send a teenager into the shop and find out straight away if the shop is ignoring the law, instead of having to wait outside a shop on the offchance that a teenager will walk out with alcohol.

sagat2 wrote: »
    Sending kids into pubs to catch those selling to them is standard practice in the US

So is the death penalty.

(Waits for "how can you compare this to the death penalty?" replies, while smiling wryly!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭William Powell

sagat2 wrote: »
    Sending kids into pubs to catch those selling to them is standard practice in the US and many other countries. Big deal out of nothing.

Its the job of Trading Standards in the UK. Might be better having the garda responcible for it here as I know the Trading Standards officers in the UK often get attacked after they point out to the traders that they have just broken the law and are going to court and will lose their licence. Trading Standards also run the same operation sending in underage kids buying cigarettes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

I can't see a problem with this. It seems that it is an efficient way of detecting pubs/off licences that serve people who are underage.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭round tower huntsman

well done ff minister:rolleyes: the country is awash with drugs and scumbags. heroin's spreading like a plague to rural towns from the cities and ahern wahts to use cops to stop kids getting their hands on some blue wicked:mad:
    ffs, fair enough underage drinking might be a problem but if kids are underage to drink then they're the parents problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

"No way man! Im not wearing a wire! get yourself another freakin' patsy man!"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

krudler wrote: »
    "No way man! Im not wearing a wire! get yourself another freakin' patsy man!"

Oi'm no' a grahss, Copper!:mad:

/The Bill

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭messymess

phasers wrote: »
    how do the kids apply for this job?

The words, juvenile court and community service, come to mind!

Advertisement