Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ahern to Use Undercover Kids

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

A problem arises with this sort of action, how often will each particular store/pub be targetted? will all stores/pubs be targetted or only those where there is "previous".

who determines what age bracket will be sent into these premises?

there is a hell of a difference between a 15yr old spotty boy who cycles there and a 17 1/2 year old girl all made up who drives to the premises.

selling to minors is wrong pure and simple, but the whole entrapment idea needs to be clearly thoght out and fairly emplemented.

if one premises is targetted more often then another then that would be unfair, mistakes can happen and the sanctions can be severe.

the principal behind it is fine, the way it is actually carried out could be problematic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I think everyone is missing the important question here:

What theme tune will these Undercover Kids have?

I propose this beauty:

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭round tower huntsman

http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/0/3988/333362-laughing_elf_large.jpg

^^ mfw poster thinks garda activites have an effect on the availability of drugs.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D do you think garda activity will have an effect on underage drinking, thats even more of a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

It seems to me that the only good reason for doing this would be to target the problem of underage drinking in our society. However, teenage drinking - if it is indeed as big a problem as we are led to believe (though I suspect that it isn't) - is a societal problem & one that cannot be readily resolved by a Garda led crackdown on licensed premises.

It could be part of a solution, if it were implemented properly, but as a stand alone action, it will have the same impact on reducing the levels of teenage drinking as shutting down the headshops had on reducing the number of people using recreational drugs ie., very little.

For once, I would like to see Mr.Ahern address the issues head on, rather than simply introducing measures that criminalise people & are ultimately a further waste of Garda resources & which puts further pressure on our court & prison systems.

But then again - to expect that any of our politicians do anything that will have a real, positive effect on people's lives, when they spend their lives living in the bubble that is Irish politics - is probably asking a bit too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Shelflife wrote: »
    there is a hell of a difference between a 15yr old spotty boy who cycles there and a 17 1/2 year old girl all made up who drives to the premises.

But they've said that the kids (who will be 15-17) are not allowed say they're over 18, and must say they've no proof of ID if asked. So, unless I've read it wrong, no matter how much make up is caked on, the proprietor just has to insist on ID and they're fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Is it not entrapment though?
    Committing a crime in an attempt to have the other party commit a crime with which to charge them by?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

enda1 wrote: »
    Is it not extortion though?
    Committing a crime in an attempt to have the other party commit a crime with which to charge them by?

Extortion is when a person unlawfully obtains money, property or services from a person, entity, or institution, through coercion.

I think you mean entrapment. However an act can only be considered entrapment if a person is not ready and willing to break the law in the first instance, but is then coerced into doing so.

So, for example - if an undercover teenager tries to buy booze & is served, there is no issue of entrapment as the seller has willingly broken the law. However, if the teenager coerces the seller by - for example, using a false ID - then there is a case for claiming entrapment.

Either way, I can see it opening up a whole new - and totally unessecary - legal minefield.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

enda1 wrote: »
    Is it not extortion though?
    I think you mean entrapment?

My rudimentary (and possibly fallacious) understanding of the law is that it's only entrapment if the perpetrator is in some way coerced into committing the crime.

Eg. If an undercover policeman gives someone an ounce of cocaine and asks them to sell it off, then another undercover policeman asks to buy coke off the dealer, that is entrapment. But if they simply go up to someone they believe is dealing and buy the drugs off them, that is legitimate.

/baseless speculation

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Sanjuro wrote: »
    Me thinks Mr. Aherne has been watching too much 21 Jump Street. Idiot.

Actually... there's been a child awareness group doing this for years... looks like they put forward their results to the Government and now they are checking it out...

I remember seeing job offers on jobs.ie and thinking... fúck i'm too old for this...

Pace2008 wrote: »

My rudimentary (and possible fallacious) understanding of the law is that it's only entrapment if the perpatrator is in some way coerced into committing the crime.

Eg. If and undercover policeman gives someone an ounce of cocaine and asks them to sell it off, then another undercover policeman asks to buy coke off the dealer, that is entrapment. But if they simply go up to someone they believe is dealing and buy the drugs off them, that is legitimate.

/baseless speculation

Opps, yes entrapment :o

Maybe you're "baseless speculation" is right.
    Anyone else know?

• Advertisement

My rudimentary (and possible fallacious) understanding of the law is that it's only entrapment if the perpatrator is in some way coerced into committing the crime.

Eg. If and undercover policeman gives someone an ounce of cocaine and asks them to sell it off, then another undercover policeman asks to buy coke off the dealer, that is entrapment. But if they simply go up to someone they believe is dealing and buy the drugs off them, that is legitimate.

/baseless speculation

So the teenagers will be selling this coke for Mr Ahern where exactly? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

This always went on.

The only difference now is a garda will observe the teenager attempting to buy the alcohol.
    The garda will then testify in court.
    The benefit here is that you don't have teenagers having to go to court to testify, they are spared from that.

There is nothing illegal about this, it's been tested in the High Court. And Dermot Ahern and the Garda Commissioner know what they are doing.
    On Matt Cooper, the Union of Students of Ireland and the representative body for newsagents (over 3 thousands members) welcomed it.

Prime Time named and shamed off licences in Swords on national TV for selling to underagers and there was no issue on it.

Realy, it's just making something that already exists more efficent.

A lot of you shouting entrapment are watching too much American television

A lot of you shouting entrapment are watching too much American television

I was not shouting entrapment.
    I asked a question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Did I refer to you? I would have quoted you if so

More the six pages before you, don't get defensive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

How much are the "kids" getting paid for it?

I must say that I have no objection to it in principle. It's a lot better than some of his other recent work, such as the blasphemy law and the proposal to charge law abiding people to access their money because others want to get theirs through kidnap and robbery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Stompbox

So is the death penalty.

(Waits for "how can you compare this to the death penalty?" replies, while smiling wryly!)

The death practice is not standard practice in the US. It happens yes but it's not how most cases are eventually resolved. What's the issue here?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Stompbox

Eg. If an undercover policeman gives someone an ounce of cocaine and asks them to sell it off, then another undercover policeman asks to buy coke off the dealer, that is entrapment. But if they simply go up to someone they believe is dealing and buy the drugs off them, that is legitimate.

/baseless speculation

Correct. I think there's something like three rules of entrapment, one being that the authority cannot implant the idea of the law-breaking into the offender's mind, not sure what the other ones are.

I must say that I have no objection to it in principle. It's a lot better than some of his other recent work, such as the blasphemy law and the proposal to charge law abiding people to access their money because others want to get theirs through kidnap and robbery.
    When I was about 16, a few of my mates were caught with weed on them. The cops let them off on condition that they did a sting on the small-time dealer who'd sold the wares.

Maybe they'd implement something similar here, thought to be honest, I don't know if that kind of thing is really by the book.

They're volunteers I think.

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    I'd say they party hard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

as a parent i have to say i'm not sold on this idea at all...while i acknowledge the problem of underage drinking, the chances of me allowing any of my kids to "volunteer" for a sting operation like this are ZERO!
    just wondering how other parents feel about this?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭flash1080

Volunteer or not it is using kids.

You mean forcing. and I referenced the coercion of small time crims in my post about rachel hoffman.

If a 16 year old got some pub closed down, destroyed a business and all that goes with it, (perhaps even end a marriage!)

You don't think that some mad **** out there might resent that?

Nah they'll be "it's a fair cop gov'ner." ...

Being the guy who got a pub closed down could haunt a person for years, regardless of the legality of it, people don't forget scabs and they don't forget rats.

That's a lot to potentially put on a 15 year old's shoulders.

Whatever about using adults, old enough legally and hopefully mentally to account for their decisions using children strikes me as low.
    Imagine how embarrassing it would be for the person who broke the law by selling alcohol to children, and destroyed either their own or their employers business.

So what's in it for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

^^^^^

quote:
    "participation in test purchasing operations does not constitute employment and, accordingly does not attract any remuneration. however, necessary expenses arising from the test purchaser's involvement in a test purchase operation may be paid by the Garda Siochana"

I dunno.

Pride?

Free training to be narcs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Can't see the problem with this myself. Ahern is still a divv though.

It would probably be a lot more effective if these kids stood around outside and asked passers by would they buy them drink since this is as much if not more a problem than kids going into offies themselves.
    Probably be entrapment though.

There is a huge problem with underage drinking in this area. Heroin is a problem too, but nowhere near this scale and not within the same age groups. Alcohol is the real gateway drug, despite what the anti-drug bodies would have you believe...tackling kids drinking may well reduce the numbers of people progressing on to heroin later on, nevermind the heakth implications.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

they get to keep the beer

I dunno.

Pride?

Free training to be narcs?
    Nothing good I'm sure. Who'd trust you with anything ever again? Also, what'll the other kids do when you help shut down their alcohol supply?

Sounds like a lot of risk for no reward.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

For once, I would like to see Mr.Ahern address the issues head on, rather than simply introducing measures that criminalise people & are ultimately a further waste of Garda resources & which puts further pressure on our court & prison systems.

But then again - to expect that any of our politicians do anything that will have a real, positive effect on people's lives, when they spend their lives living in the bubble that is Irish politics - is probably asking a bit too much.

What would you suggest they do to tackle these issues "head on"?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

whast he playing on paying them with orieos and gummy bears ?

Advertisement