Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ahern to Use Undercover Kids

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

whast he playing on paying them with orieos and gummy bears ?
    Why? Are they American teenagers?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

I know a lad who does this for the police, dickhead.

It I wasn't the one who wanted the drink, I'd think it was a good idea, it's just common sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Earthhorse wrote: »
    Why? Are they American teenagers?

you can get orieos over here now :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

Pace2008 wrote: »
    When I was about 16, a few of my mates were caught with weed on them. The cops let them off on condition that they did a sting on the small-time dealer who'd sold the wares.

Maybe they'd implement something similar here, thought to be honest, I don't know if that kind of thing is really by the book.

If that's true, and I'm not saying it is, it's an absolute disgrace.

I've linked this a few times but it seems no one clicked it or did and didn't care.

Civilians should not be part of police operations.
    Why that's a terrible idea:

Rachel Hoffman.

More here.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

If that's true, and I'm not saying it is, it's an absolute disgrace.

I've linked this a few times but it seems no one clicked it or did and didn't care.

Civilians should not be part of police operations.

You're not really comparing like with like now, are you.
    Tallahassee police officials are on the defensive after the killing of a young Florida woman who was serving as a confidential narcotics and weapons informant in a sting operation that ended with her death.

• Advertisement

Oh so being coerced into only mildly dangerous situations by trained negotiators is fine?

I don't see how you can even compare being a narcotics & weapons informant, and going to an offie and trying to buy some cans.

eoin wrote: »
    I don't see how you can even compare being a narcotics & weapons informant, and going to an offie and trying to buy some cans.

I'm comparing the use of civilians as pawns by police. In this case minors.

No, you're just throwing out over-the-top terms and comparing the concept to a completely irrelevant incident in the States.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

Wagon wrote: »
    Really wish the useless fúcker would actually target crime, and not waste his time on this nanny state bullshít.

Is selling alcohol to underagers not a crime?

Also, in what sense is enforcing legislation that has existed for 50+ years 'nanny state bullsh:t'?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

Oh so being coerced into only mildly dangerous situations by trained negotiators is fine?

Different, if I was a teenager and I was sent down to Cork to try buy drink thats not dangerous. If I was asked to be a weapons and drugs informant that is dangerous, I wouldn't consider doing that regardless of what I was paid.

With the drink your dealing with one guy in another county that isn't being careful enough about who he's selling to. With the other case your potentially dealing with a highly organised and ruthless criminal gang and it's members have already shown their dangerous (by dealing narcotics/owning illegal firearms)

I'm comparing the use of civilians as pawns by police. In this case minors.

You are, but your not using similar situations as a comparison. The guards themselves tend to be afraid of dealing with armed drug dealers so it's no surprise that getting involved with that is dangerous.

Its like saying ratting up a guy for stealing 2 packs of hunky dorys is very dangerous and backing it up with a story of what happened to a mafia informant

Euro_Kraut wrote: »
    Also, in what sense is enforcing legislation that has existed for 50+ years 'nanny state bullsh:t'?

To an extent I think it is, they have bigger fish to fry than some 16 year old having a few cans. The same people calling for these measures are also calling for an increase in drink prices/earlier pub closing times to save us from ourselves

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Gigiwagga

This reminds me of the TV licence vans that used to drive around years ago with the radar dish on the roof 'patrolling the country', all three of them. Hoping everybody would be so petrified they'd all rush to buy a tv licence, didn't work.
    This is typical FF lazy policing, Aherne couldn't be arsed putting in place real constructive measures to help deter underage drinking, involving social services in the matter etc...oops forgot Ireland doesn't really have social services does it.

Advertisement