Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

carbon frame for commute?

• 21-09-2010 9:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Some pr*ck stole my commuter bike and I had just sold my road bike, so I was thinking of buying one bike that did both. I've been mad to buy a carbon bike for some time now and am considering a Focus Cayo or Planet-X.

Anyway - does anybody think one of these would stand up to a daily commute of 8km across the city ? I know it will do just fine for the longer spins at the weekend :p

thanks
    rob

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭snollup

Once you can lock it somewhere safe (and dry) I reckon it will be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭fergalr

But you'll wince every time your beautiful carbon bike hits a particularly nasty pothole, or you are forced onto a kerb too fast by a passing vehicle...
    ...don't do it, keep the carbon bike for nice spins and get a working bike for the city.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,701 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

My Cayo has carried my 90kg+ frame well over 6,000km commuting over the past year or so, plus another couple of thousand in sportives, training, club spins and the like without problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

Nearly an identical post to Beasty, so I won't bother repeating :)

Do it - getting the Cayo was the best thing that happened my commute!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭nitrogen

I'd only do it if you have a secure location to keep your bike at work; mine is near my desk.

If the above is taken care of, I see no point in denying yourself the enjoyment of riding your pride and joy to work.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

fergalr wrote: »
    But you'll wince every time your beautiful carbon bike hits a particularly nasty pothole, or you are forced onto a kerb too fast by a passing vehicle...
    ...don't do it, keep the carbon bike for nice spins and get a working bike for the city.
    I dunno, I've heard carbon frames a lot stronger that in our grandparents' day.
    I'm thinking of (trying to) building a sub 5kg fixie commuter (under the ride to work scheme), and I can't afford Ti, so carbon seems to be the way to go.
    Anything but aluminium.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Crippens1

Similar to the two above, I commute and do long week-end spinds on a Focus Cayo but can you absolutely trust the location your're going to leave it in during the day? Ideally, bring it into whatever building/office/factory you work in (and lock it to a desk, table, chair, your leg, etc.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

rp wrote: »
    I'm thinking of (trying to) building a sub 5kg fixie commuter (under the ride to work scheme), and I can't afford Ti, so carbon seems to be the way to go.
    Anything but aluminium.

Oh cool - where are you sourcing your bits? I'll be building my "yellower than Verb's banana bike yellow" fixie at the end of October, so any tips you have appreciated. Are you building it yourself?

Back on topic - Carbon commuter FTW!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,701 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

christeb wrote: »
    Are you building it yourself?

Can't get it under the Bike to Work scheme if he is - as has been pointed out many times the scheme is only available for complete (and new) bikes, plus safety accessories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Yi Harr

I use my PX for the daily commute (c.36km) and I have to say it's made it much more fun. As the others have said though you'll need a very secure place to park it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭fergalr

Anything but aluminium.

Oh yeah, the carbon frame should be fine; road bikes can take an awful lot of punishment before anything bad happens them.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭shg101

Beasty wrote: »
    Can't get it under the Bike to Work scheme if he is - as has been pointed out many times the scheme is only available for complete (and new) bikes, plus safety accessories.

Officially, at least...

shg101 wrote: »
    Officially, at least...
    I was just pointing out what the law requires. I would add however that if anyone comes into this forum encouraging others to break the law they will incur infractions.

Thanks

Beasty

Beasty wrote: »
    Yeahbut, if a bike shop builds you a new bike from parts you spec, surely that'd still be a new bike?

fergalr wrote: »
    Oh yeah, the carbon frame should be fine; road bikes can take an awful lot of punishment before anything bad happens them.
    How about carbon wheels, are they tough enough? that's where the metal meets the road, as it were...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

How about carbon wheels, are they tough enough? that's where the metal meets the road, as it were...

Carbon wheels for a commute? Someone likes themselves. ;)

Raam wrote: »
    Carbon wheels for a commute? Someone likes themselves. ;)
    I've a target to get to work in under the hour (33km inc. cross town traffic), so every little bit helps. The idea is to run something like 50:12 gearing, so the lighter the wheels, the easier it's gonna be to spin those babies up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I've a target to get to work in under the hour (33km inc. cross town traffic), so every little bit helps. The idea is to run something like 50:12 gearing, so the lighter the wheels, the easier it's gonna be to spin those babies up.

Do a bit more training, save yourself a few quid ;)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

The idea is to run something like 50:12 gearing....

I wouldn't buy the wheels. You'll need the money for doctors when your knees give out.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Velo Bro

Carbon commuters!! I ask ye?? Flash gits the lot of yee......... There's a recession on and it's mandatory everyone takes part:(!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Velo Bro!

• Advertisement

Yeahbut, if a bike shop builds you a new bike from parts you spec, surely that'd still be a new bike?
    Yes - No problem whatsoever with that under the BTW scheme (assuming new parts, of course)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Velo Bro wrote: »
    There's a recession on and it's mandatory everyone takes part

So rather than buy one bike for training, racing and commuting, you're saying we should be buying two?;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭BryanL

el tonto wrote: »
    So rather than buy one bike for training, racing and commuting, you're saying we should be buying two?;)

You have to spend your way out of a recession:D get a carbon frame and deep section wheels, Do It for the Country!!! we need you.

most mountainbike manafacturers report a lot less warranty returns with carbon frames than with anything else.
    Wheels take the brunt of commuting not so much the frame.

Advertisement