Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Business School

Options
  • 21-09-2010 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Anyone have any experience, positive or otherwise, about DBS? Particularly postgrad courses.

Any feedback appreciated :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

"Daddies" Business School. Same for other places like Portobello or Griffith (although Griffith is probably the best of a bad bunch). The standards are fairly poor truth be told.

I wouldn't do a course in DBS if you gave it to me for free and you paid my expenses for the course duration; especially a post grad. I'm sorry but please consider a proper education establishment, the likes of DIT, UCD, DCU or Trinity.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 monkeysockss

Crikey....that seems a bit strong. Have you any first-hand experience of it's crapness?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Wonderwall

Stepbar's post is laughable. I would ignore it if I were you.

People seem to automatically write-off DBS as a poor college because of the fee paying aspect, when in fact it's a very well respected institution. At the end of the day, like anything, you get out what you put in.

I have embarked on a course there which only started this month so I cannot voice my full view yet, but some friends and even family members have attended there; and they've got nothing but positive things to say. I chose to attend DBS because of the evening course options, so I can obtain a qualification while still working full-time. Suits me and I've no qualms, as of yet.

Sorry that I cannot give you an opinion on postgrad courses.

Good luck.

Crikey....that seems a bit strong. Have you any first-hand experience of it's crapness?

I do... of the students that came from DBS to a masters course I did many years ago. DBS doesn't have a great reputation for producing quality students. Think about it..... and the sort of people who go to these colleges. Actually.... here's something you should do some lunchtime.... go up to DBS on Aungier St and stand around the lobby area. Have a look around. I guarantee you the vast majority of the students are on student visas and paying massive fees for what I would describe as a substandard education. They would have difficulty getting in anywhere else.

I know a few people who were doing ACCA / CIMA exams in DBS and left to go elsewhere.

Wonderwall wrote: »
    Stepbar's post is laughable. I would ignore it if I were you.

People seem to automatically write-off DBS as a poor college because of the fee paying aspect, when in fact it's a very well respected institution. At the end of the day, like anything, you get out what you put in.

I have embarked on a course there which only started this month so I cannot voice my full view yet, but some friends and even family members have attended there; and they've got nothing but positive things to say. I chose to attend DBS because of the evening course options, so I can obtain a qualification while still working full-time. Suits me and I've no qualms, as of yet.

Sorry that I cannot give you an opinion on postgrad courses.

Good luck.
    Answer me this then, why did you not go to DIT down the road? If you honestly think DBS is a "well respected institution" then it is you my friend who is having a laugh. I'm Masters qualified BTW so I think I should know about these things.

Let me tell you DBS won't push you too hard. And whilst that suits some people, if you're paying big money in fees, it's simply not good enough. And.... what's even worse is that the fees are comparable to DIT, UCD and the like, but the standard of education is simply not there. If you're really serious about your career then DBS is certainly not the place to be considering. But then again.... different strokes for different folks.....

• Advertisement

Thanks Wonderwall. That's what I thought too regarding the previous comment....pompous and, it would seem, ill-informed. Or if not Stepbar, could you back up it up?
    I haven't 100% committed to attending yet but probably will. The lecturers certainly seemed to know their onions when I spoke to them. Anyway, when it's late September and you still haven't got a job, choices are limited.

A bit behind on those posts. Sorry

Thanks Wonderwall. That's what I thought too regarding the previous comment....pompous and, it would seem, ill-informed. Or if not Stepbar, could you back up it up?
    I haven't 100% committed to attending yet but probably will. The lecturers certainly seemed to know their onions when I spoke to them. Anyway, when it's late September and you still haven't got a job, choices are limited.

In fairness you wanted "positive or otherwise" and I'm giving you the otherwise. Anyone can give off a good impression.... i.e "know their onions". I wouldn't base your choice on one "positive" conversation.

stepbar wrote: »
    In fairness you wanted "positive or otherwise"

Yep, I did indeed. I posted my reply before I read your reasons for not recommending the school, which are all fair enough and will be taken on board.

Having said that, I think it's simplifying it a bit to suggest it's just where foreign students go when they can't get in anywhere else. I studied two years at WIT and I knew lots of Chinese students who could hardly speak English but who were accepted onto courses there. Education is a business, and non-EU students is where the money is. Some of them dossed off but the majority worked their arses off and got their degrees. While the Irish students, who paid no fees at all, got pissed every night and skipped classes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Wonderwall

stepbar wrote: »
    Answer me this then, why did you not go to DIT down the road? If you honestly think DBS is a "well respected institution" then it is you my friend who is having a laugh. I'm Masters qualified BTW so I think I should know about these things.

Let me tell you DBS won't push you too hard. And whilst that suits some people, if you're paying big money in fees, it's simply not good enough. And.... what's even worse is that the fees are comparable to DIT, UCD and the like, but the standard of education is simply not there. If you're really serious about your career then DBS is certainly not the place to be considering. But then again.... different strokes for different folks.....

Firstly, I do not wish to get into a back-and-forth with you.

Anyway, I explored all avenues; DIT does not offer the course that I wanted, and it certainly does not offer it as an evening course. Actually, DBS was the only college I could attend while still having a full-time job. I cannot afford to return to full-time college, i've got other commitments.

A qualification gained from DBS will be respected, whether you choose to see that or not. And, on the point of DBS pushing its students hard: Well, I am a adult who's paying a sizable chunk of money to attend an evening college course - that alone should be enough of an incentive to push myself. I cannot frivolously throw money into courses that I'm not fully sure I am committed to. Anyhow, I am sure the lecturers will push me in my time spent there, and unless you've proof to state otherwise then I see no point in arguing.

Btw, saying: "I'm a Masters student, I think I should know about this stuff" sounds awfully pretentious.

• Advertisement

Wonderwall wrote: »
    Anyway, I explored all avenues; DIT does not offer the course that I wanted, and it certainly does not offer it as an evening course. Actually, DBS was the only college I could attend while still having a full-time job. I cannot afford to return to full-time college, i've got other commitments.

Fair enough.
    A qualification gained from DBS will be respected, whether you choose to see that or not.

By whom are you hoping it will be respected by? Qualifications are one thing but experience is worth 10 degrees. For jobs at a Grad level, the qualification gets you in the door. Grads from the big 4 will always win 9 times out of 10 vs. the likes of DBS, Portobello and Griffith.
    And, on the point of DBS pushing its students hard: Well, I am a adult who's paying a sizable chunk of money to attend an evening college course - that alone should be enough of an incentive to push myself. I cannot frivolously throw money into courses that I'm not fully sure I am committed to. Anyhow, I am sure the lecturers will push me in my time spent there, and unless you've proof to state otherwise then I see no point in arguing.
    It's not about whether you are prepared to push yourself or not. I'd hope you are. It's about the course content / lecturers and whether both are a high enough standard. You can push yourself all you like, but if neither is of a high enough standard, well you might as well be p1ssing against the wind.

Now unless you want me to detail each and every experience I've had of DBS (which I'm not) I don't know what more I can say bar lining up each and every person I know who has gone to DBS / or know of people who have been and make them recall their experience to you.
    Btw, saying: "I'm a Masters student, I think I should know about this stuff" sounds awfully pretentious.

If you think it's pretentious, that's fine. But I would consider it to be fact. I probably should have added I'm an ex DIT Masters student. Now if you seriously think a Masters from DBS has the same distinction as one from Trinity, UCD, DCU or DIT then you have no clue what you are talking about.

Your initial post insulted my opinion. If you want to continue to delude yourself that's fine, makes no odds to me. Calling a spade a spade, DBS is simply not up to the mark.

There are many reasons why: -

- DBS has no track record in research;
    - Vs the Big 4; they do not have the same accreditation powers / recognition.
    - As a fee paying college whose sole motive is to make profit, it goes against the basic motivation of what education should be about;
    - DBS comes no where near the top 100 education institutions in the world;
    - One also has to question how easy it is for international students to enrol in some of their courses and the education standards some of these students bring to the table.

That's a fact, whatever way you want to argue the point.

*The Big 4 being the colleges in Dublin. One could argue until the cows come home about the other colleges around the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Better standard of teaching. Small class sizes. And students are more committed because they're paying for it.

Only downside is that many of the students are mid 20's plus so the social life isnt as good.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Voodoo_rasher

as an eastern friend discovered belatedly (at considerable cost), his dbs qual is not recognized O ut side Ireland!

he's got to try another avenue, similar course elsewhere.waste of 18 months

Better standard of teaching. Small class sizes. And students are more committed because they're paying for it.

Only downside is that many of the students are mid 20's plus so the social life isnt as good.

Students maybe more committed but the standard of teaching is not there. Ffs I could get a job there in the morning but I have no interest at the mo. Says a lot to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭darragh666

I attended DBS two years ago. Not a great place. The bigger it gets the worse it seems to become. There was a huge decline in quality between my first year and second year. Myself and a number of students left a month into second year after a row regarding accreditation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 ally10

haha i actually have to laugh at stepbar...clearly hasn't got notion of what he is talking about just presuming because it is a private college its a load of ****!! u do realise its the exact same thing as a private secondary school u may pay fees but u dont pay to have 600 points in ur leaving..same applies in private colleges...they get their degree from colleges in the uk mostly which are recognised both here and there! they sit the same exams as everyone else and put in the work!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

I studied Finance there for 3 years and left. Terrible college. My Treasury and Risk Management lecturer didn't know the basics! Same with Investor Research and Analysis - she couldn't put a formula together. She'd give out exercises and couldn't put the answer together - the students used to do it for her! The class gave terrible feedback but they were kept on!

My Accounting and Economics lecturers were excellent though, no faults there.

Anyone think there's a stigma attached to it from the point of view of employers? I decided against doing a Masters there mainly cos I was worried prospective employers would just wonder why I didn't do it through one of the traditional Unis, and that I'd ultimately lose out.

I'm actually not that bothered about the quality of lecturers...I've had some pretty awful ones in 'proper' college. You have just to compensate by working harder. But perception is everything and if employers think it's only for people who couldn't cut it at the established unis that's a big problem. Is that what they think? I really don't know but I decided not to risk it. It's a lot of money.

SteoL wrote: »
    I studied Finance there for 3 years and left. Terrible college. My Treasury and Risk Management lecturer didn't know the basics! Same with Investor Research and Analysis - she couldn't put a formula together. She'd give out exercises and couldn't put the answer together - the students used to do it for her! The class gave terrible feedback but they were kept on!

My Accounting and Economics lecturers were excellent though, no faults there.
    Dermot Gallagher and Sarma someone?... they're brilliant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

Dermot Gallagher and Sarma someone?... they're brilliant

No they're not who I had for Treasury and Risk Management and Investor Research and Analysis. OS......don't want to post names so that'll do. Perhaps gone now......I'd like to think they took student feedback on board eventually. My experience is 50:50 in terms of good/bad awful lecturers. Not good enough with the money you pay for the course. Had Heather for Accounting and Business Economics and she was brilliant - probably the best I had in my time there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Seems to be a disconnect between the front desk people and what is going on inside.

Went in to ask some fairly standard questions but the front desk insisted I fill out a form and wait until somebody came down. Surely as the coalface of a college they should know the basics.

Anyway I came back and signed up for a night course and paid half of the fees upfront. I had to ask for a letter of acknowledgment for work and then was told it would be posted out.

Lastly I was told my student card would be ready for collection if I went up to the third floor. Sprinted up (maybe there is a lift?!) and was then told I had to fill out a form and wait!

So yeah I have some misgivings but willing to give them the benefit of doubt.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,375 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I found it fine. Got my degree in Acc and Fin there. I am currently doing CAP2 as DBS degree was recognised for the CAP1 exemption (professional accountancy exams for those who aren't familiar). They do a range of degrees that are accredited by Hetac and Liverpool John Moores University so there should be International recognition of those qualifications. They are really about ACCA/professional exams and seem to be highly regarded by ACCA (think they are gold standard whatever that means). I am at the same level with regard the professional exams as others I know who came through DCU, UCD and Trinners.
    It was the only option for me as a part time student. Found the lecturers to be very good for the most too. The one mentioned below Dermot Gallagher is a really smart man. Some bad lecturers but have heard former UCD's giving out about lecturers in Smurfit so it may be a matter of opinion.

Note: I am talking about Accounts and Fin. Can't speak for other streams

• Registered Users Posts: 21 mttk

As a current DBS ACCA student, i have seen many students go, i do agree there is 1 or 2 lecturers that are good, but the course overall is very poor. its not worth the the money let alone the time to attend this college. Administration is abominable, i cant wait to finish one of electives and finish the acca qualification to some other institution. Definitely would not recommend this to any other individual intending to do the ACCA professional exams but i dont have any other opinion about any other course in DBS but for the ACCA, i strongly recommend somewhere else

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Whatever_fools

I am also a current ACCA student and cannot talk highly enough about DBS, its lecturing and administration staff. Some newer colleges have emerged recently but DBS have been offering ACCA programmes for about 20 years as far as I know and they have platinum status (the highest available). Quite simply, everyone will have differing opinions or whatever, but I for one wouldn’t go anywhere else. You only need to see the wall of prizewinners in the reception area to feel confident about what you are signing up for. I have a friend who went to one of the newer independent colleges and his experience to date, has been completely different to mine. He is now waiting to finish his papers in the Summer and will go elsewhere once they’re finished.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 kim_wang82

where should me go for acca P2 mister?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 kim_wang82

sounds like you work for dbs mister!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

The fact that there is no sub-forum on Boards for DBS says it all!

Nolanger wrote: »
    The fact that there is no sub-forum on Boards for DBS says it all!
    It was brought up a while back but that decision is up to admins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 raining2011

I think I have the best experience to comment on this.
    I did my undergrad in DBS, then went to UCD (smurfit) to do a MSc and am now in DIT to do a pgd. Out of all of them I have to say they all have there own faults and not one of them has been 100% amazing! Lecturing staff - there have been some great ones and some awful staff in all 3, the best staff so far have to be DIT; Course Leader wise I have to say DBS had the best, they were on the ball for everything, UCD one was a joke he was also a lecturer and was one of the worst ones I had!!; Facilites - UCD without a shadow of a doubt had the best, the worst thing about this was that students (and some LC students) from other colleges would just be able to walk into smufit and use them because there was no system to scan cards etc to get in anywhere (apart from in the lib) but they are also outside of the city so they would have more space than everywhere, DIT & DBS would be on an equal footing for this.

As for the accreditation issue one poster was saying with DBS, well thats a lie. All DBS courses are HETAC accredited and are internationally regonised. Why would they have so many international students there if that wasn't the case?

All in all your never going to get everyone to 100% agree or be happy with everything, there will always be some complainers everywhere!

Advertisement