Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Business School

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 ben1986

Hi guys, I am actually studying at DBS, I am from abroad and i have decided to start a degree in Ireland. Beeing a students at DBS for 2 years I am actually thinking about changing my college next year for Trinity or UCD, I am very unsatisfied of the courses and lecturer there. in dbs second year of bachelor we've got just 15 hours class a week, which is pretty low. in DBS lecturer usually finish there '' lecture'' 20 minutes before the end of the hour or often don't even come. is that serious for a college for which I am paying 5200 euro a year which is like 20 euros per hours. Some of you guys have some news about the number of hours in others Dublin faculties of Business?

cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

ben1986 wrote: »
    Hi guys, I am actually studying at DBS, I am from abroad and i have decided to start a degree in Ireland. Beeing a students at DBS for 2 years I am actually thinking about changing my college next year for Trinity or UCD, I am very unsatisfied of the courses and lecturer there. in dbs second year of bachelor we've got just 15 hours class a week, which is pretty low. in DBS lecturer usually finish there '' lecture'' 20 minutes before the end of the hour or often don't even come. is that serious for a college for which I am paying 5200 euro a year which is like 20 euros per hours. Some of you guys have some news about the number of hours in others Dublin faculties of Business?

cheers

With the exception of Engineering, Architecture, Nursing, Teaching and some Science courses it's unusual to have more than 15-20 hours lecturing time per week in most undergraduate courses. I have friends in Trinity, DIT and UCD studying business related courses and they all have around 18 hours a week from what I remember.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 dowjones8610

Stepbar can you please define a proper establishment? I'm an employer in well established business in the city. I do believe that DBS courses are HETAC recognized which in any walk of life is a good enough qualification. I think your attitude is absolutely disgraceful and especially in the current climate when we are supposed to be doing are best to stay positive. Imagine an existing DBS reading the things that you have wrote, just so you can feel good about the college that you obtained your qualification from. Also when it comes to the crunch on a c.v, when you have a degree that is HETAC recognized is the employer really not going to give you the opportunity because you obtained it from DBS? Get real please and leave your pompous arrogant attitude elsewhere.

as an eastern friend discovered belatedly (at considerable cost), his dbs qual is not recognized O ut side Ireland!

he's got to try another avenue, similar course elsewhere.waste of 18 months

How can it not be recognised outside Ireland? DBS has link with numbers of french, german, swedish, and even Swiss colleges. believe me the education in a normal swiss college is better and harder than the education in Trinity or UCD

as an eastern friend discovered belatedly (at considerable cost), his dbs qual is not recognized O ut side Ireland!

he's got to try another avenue, similar course elsewhere.waste of 18 months

How can it not be recognised outside Ireland? DBS has link with numbers of french, german, swedish, and even Swiss colleges. believe me the education in a normal swiss college is better and harder than the education in Trinity or UCD

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 ILoveGreen

stepbar wrote: »
    I'm sorry but please consider a proper education establishment, the likes of DIT, UCD, DCU or Trinity.

I'm a bit shocked to read about "proper" education establishments. My course is fully accredited & recognised by the rest of the so-called "proper" establishments, but i have felt this "Daddies Business School" term thrown at me on a few occasions. Usually when out and after people have had a few drinks & not by qualified professionals from reputable institutions/businesses/healthcare providers but students from other colleges who have never attended DBS themselves but because they know someone or a few people who attended there, they decide that they can judge the whole student body and teaching system based on this.

I did my undergrad at DCU & am currently doing a postgrad at DBS.

To be perfectly honest: the notes & additional readings, the smaller class sizes & the individual attention & feeback that the lecturers can give you at DBS wouldn't have been possible should i have chosen to do my postgrad in a different institution. I chose DBS because i wanted a smaller learning environment than what i had for my undergrad.

DBS is also much more focused on obtaining feedback from the student body on a continual basis than what i experienced during my 4 years at DCU, but then again i'm only basing my opinions on one course per institution.

On the other hand, the social aspect of DBS isn't as lively, maybe because a lot of the students attending there are mid 20's+ and are more focused on their studies than parties, or because the campus is a bit broken up its harder to have the 'louder' atmosphere that comes with campuses such as DCU, UCD, Trinity or any of the other so-called 'proper' education establishments.
    I do... of the students that came from DBS to a masters course I did many years ago. DBS doesn't have a great reputation for producing quality students. Think about it..... and the sort of people who go to these colleges. Actually.... here's something you should do some lunchtime.... go up to DBS on Aungier St and stand around the lobby area. Have a look around. I guarantee you the vast majority of the students are on student visas and paying massive fees for what I would describe as a substandard education. They would have difficulty getting in anywhere else.

I think "many years ago" and the "sort of people" says it all. :(

DBS Aungier St is one of six campuses. And in any college, there is likely to be cultural diversity. I found in DCU that there were an enormous amount of American, Spanish & German students on campus but accepted that this is part of normal education these days in that many students study abroad. However, i don't think by just having a "look around" one campus of a college can tell you who are on student visas and who are irish but have multi-cultural heritage.
    I'm Masters qualified BTW so I think I should know about these things.

A huge amount of people have Masters qualifications these days, but i don't think that many claim to have the ability to discount whole institutions based on the fact that they are Masters qualified.

Let me tell you DBS won't push you too hard. And whilst that suits some people, if you're paying big money in fees, it's simply not good enough. And.... what's even worse is that the fees are comparable to DIT, UCD and the like, but the standard of education is simply not there. If you're really serious about your career then DBS is certainly not the place to be considering. But then again.... different strokes for different folks.....

Personally i find that if i want to achieve something, i push myself & don't expect my lecturers (or whole college) to do the pushing for me.

Yes, people are paying big money in fees. A lot of the time this makes them work harder as they are much more personally invested in the outcome. I've definitely seen that in particular at postgrad level. Additionally if these people are not pushing themselves to achieve while paying for their course, i doubt they'd be more likely to push themselves elsewhere while on a student grant or paying equally as high masters fees just because its a "proper" establishment.

Reactions like this are sad, and to be honest i can see why it may not be a good idea to have DBS section on boards as it may get trolled for being
    "Daddies" Business School.
    & nothing else.

I truly hope that when i am seeking employment after receiving my new qualification that i don't experience this type of antiquated academic snobbery from prospective employers. Anyone who has worked hard to obtain a widely recognised (and internally & externally marked) qualification should be given the same opportunities regardless of what college they attended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Rachelinksts

I have been offered a place in DBS to start the H.Dip in Psychology this September. I went to one of their open evenings last December and i was really happy with how it went. We got to talk one to one with lecturers and even though there were huge amounts of people waiting, they spoke to us individually and explained everything about what the course would entail in detail. I decided pretty soon afterwards that this was the place i'd like to go to.

However after reading some of the posts on here i'm kind of s****ing a brick. I really hope that people have got this place wrong or just damning it because its a private college....

As for it being called 'Daddies Business School' i find that extremely offensive. I am 22 years old, have a 9000 euro course to pay for with absolutely no financial help from my parents or outside parties. I am going to have to commute 4 hours in total each day as i can't afford to live in Dublin on top of this. I chose DBS mainly because they offer a conversion course into Psychology that you can do as a postgrad course in 2 years instead of having to go back and do another undergrad. I have been so disheartened by some of the posts by certain people in this thread and sincerely hope it's not like that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,375 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I have been offered a place in DBS to start the H.Dip in Psychology this September. I went to one of their open evenings last December and i was really happy with how it went. We got to talk one to one with lecturers and even though there were huge amounts of people waiting, they spoke to us individually and explained everything about what the course would entail in detail. I decided pretty soon afterwards that this was the place i'd like to go to.

However after reading some of the posts on here i'm kind of s****ing a brick. I really hope that people have got this place wrong or just damning it because its a private college....

As for it being called 'Daddies Business School' i find that extremely offensive. I am 22 years old, have a 9000 euro course to pay for with absolutely no financial help from my parents or outside parties. I am going to have to commute 4 hours in total each day as i can't afford to live in Dublin on top of this. I chose DBS mainly because they offer a conversion course into Psychology that you can do as a postgrad course in 2 years instead of having to go back and do another undergrad. I have been so disheartened by some of the posts by certain people in this thread and sincerely hope it's not like that.

In fairness there was only one or two people who gave negative remarks. The main person has a questionable attitude to non mainstream education in general and hardly backed up his comments with any useful evidence. He also seemed to have a bee in his bonnet about the fact that there are non Irish people attending the college.

I did my degree there and got a good job out of it working with people from the larger colleges (UDC,DCU etc). I have never felt professionally at a disadvantage in comparison to them.

Advertisement