Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Puppy keeps escaping

Options
  • 21-09-2010 9:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

I need help!!! my 9mth old lab keeps escaping from her run, i got her the biggest pet safe run there was available, and in the last week she is continuously escaping from it. I have made it as nice and cosy as possible for her, she has a large kennel in there, fresh water, toys to play with (football, chew toys, blanket) She got out in the past and i just put blocks up against it and she stopped for a while, but now it's chronic!!! The night before last i spent hours cable tying down the wire again and blocking up any bits she'd ripped, then this evening when i came home from work she was running around after escaping again. When she is out and about the house with me she's not particularly wild, she just hangs out and does her own thing, but as soon as i put her into her run she barks and tries to get out again.

As delighted as i am that she stays around when she gets out, i know for a fact she's going into the farm yard behind our house (which doesn't belong to us) and this evening she had even picked up old tins from somewhere and brought them back to the house.

I'm really worried about her safety, as i am well aware that farmers can shoot dogs or she could get run over or she might just not stay around one day.

I own an acre of land but it's quite rugged and if i was to get one of those fences i don't think i could navigate it around the house.

I'm at a total loss, i love her to bits and i couldn't give her up, but i've run out of ideas, so if anyone has ideas of how i could keep her safe while i'm out at work i'd be very, very grateful.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

is she getting out through it as opposed to under or over it?

we have chainllink dog runs and had to put steel mesh that could not be chewed around the bottom of them as some of my dogs were just eating right through the chainlink. the steel mesh solved it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

how big is the pen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Nellieka

ppink wrote: »
    is she getting out through it as opposed to under or over it?

we have chainllink dog runs and had to put steel mesh that could not be chewed around the bottom of them as some of my dogs were just eating right through the chainlink. the steel mesh solved it

She is pulling the mesh from the bottom bar and squeezing out under that.

When i cable tied it back down she just ripped it open further up

are the chainlink dog runs expensive???

jap gt wrote: »
    how big is the pen

Hey, the run is 7.5FT X 13.6FT X 6FT High, i know it's not huge, but it was the largest we could find / afford

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭kildareash

Is the dog getting enough exercise?

I notice a big difference in my two when they've only done a short walk for an evening or two.

• Advertisement

kildareash wrote: »
    Is the dog getting enough exercise?

I notice a big difference in my two when they've only done a short walk for an evening or two.

to be honest (and probably like most people) i could be exercising her more, we do go to the beach a few times a week because it's really close, and we do play catch and chase in our field, i don't walk her on a lead anymore (and haven't for some months now) because she doesn't seem to enjoy it, she spends the whole time either running ahead of me or stopping sniffing, and the roadway near my house is very narrow and busy.

I do think she is lonely, because i am out at work for a large part of the day, so i understand she's not being bold, she's just being a puppy!!! I'd get a second dog for company, but i've a huge worry that i'd have bitten off twice more than what i can handle then, and instead of one hard to handle dog i'd then possibly have two :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭theghost

Is there anybody who could come in even for an hour during the day and give her a good run in your field? Or is there a doggy day care she could go to? Sound like she just needs more exercise to tire her out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭kildareash

I totally understand what you're saying. Although the alarm goes off, I don't always take mine out in the morning. But I always take them out in the evenings.

Would it be possible to take her out in the morning for a bit of a run?

Also, I'd persist with the lead. Maybe get a body harness if she didn't like the collar and lead.

theghost wrote: »
    Is there anybody who could come in even for an hour during the day and give her a good run in your field? Or is there a doggy day care she could go to? Sound like she just needs more exercise to tire her out.

I live in a very rural area, so i'm not sure if this is an option, but i'll definitely put the feelers out in the neighbourhood and see if anyone is around during the day to do this :)

kildareash wrote: »
    I totally understand what you're saying. Although the alarm goes off, I don't always take mine out in the morning. But I always take them out in the evenings.

Would it be possible to take her out in the morning for a bit of a run?

Also, I'd persist with the lead. Maybe get a body harness if she didn't like the collar and lead.

hey kildareash, i do take her out in the mornings but not for as long as i could i suppose, i leave the house just before 7am so i get up at 5.30 to let her out for a bit of a run, she's out for an hour before i put her back into her run with her breakfast. Although, it is getting harder with the pitch black mornings, she just wants to run inside and chew on something (which i must admit i always let her do)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

the steel mesh we used cannot be chewed. I cant remember the price but you can get it from builders providers. it comes in 8ft x 16ftsheets and some places will cut it for you to size.
    Is puppy in the run all night too?
    we religously walk our dogs morning and evening, once you get into the routine it will become second nature for you and puppy.
    Any chance there is a doggy daycare near your work? Or someone near your work who would take her for the day?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I would advise a walk on the lead, even 15 mins is good as it stimulates them mentally too, all those new sights and smells, its the best way to wear out a pup.
    I often drive to a quieter place to walk the dogs, as well as a place to walk them off lead as we're in a small town with busy roads.
    As for the run, cilldara do some great runs and you can buy panels and expand the run, they're pretty tough, I know someone got them for their 2 dogs and said they were the best money ever spent on the dogs, they'd previously escaped from every run they'd had.
    Here's the site, I know its more expense but it would be worth it to keep the pup safe.

http://cilldara.ie/products/standard-panel/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭Btwndeyes

Used have same problem with my dog so we got a chain, long chain dog gets most way around the garden, he seems happy out with it has everything he needs in range.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Labs are high energy dogs and you really do need to make a big effort to walk the dog more. Is she neutered yet?

Dogs do need to be stimulated mentally too so does the dog have any toys to keep it occupied while you're gone? I'm sure the other posters will have more recommendations but a frozen kong would keep her busy for a while.

Trying to get someone in during the day to bring her out for a walk would also be an excellent idea as dogs don't do well on their own for long periods of time, hence the escaping.

I wouldn't advocate leaving her on a chain though, heard too many horror stories of dogs hanging themselves and that's not something you want to come home to. Also know firsthand of someone who left his dog on a chain so he could pop to the shops. 4 dogs came into the yard and attacked her and she couldn't get away.

I know it's alot of work but really these are all things that go into keeping dogs happy and I don't think enough people realise this when they take on a pup. Fair play to you for trying to sort it out now before you have an irate farmer on your doorstep. Dogs are a long-term committment though so maybe you should look into trying to securely fence your land.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭IceMaiden

By reading the first post it sounds like your pup is chewing & forcing its way through the bottom of the pen , what you could try is visiting an agricultural store for a coil of plain straining wire & thread/bind it around the frame & mesh edges it’s a similar gauge to most chain link type fencing,
    Good bones are easily available from most butchers as are pigs trotters etc, also there’s feed type toys that the pup has to work at to get a meagre food reward , a little like a physical & mind occupying challenge. See if a vet sells any type of repellent that could be applied to the areas this pup chews on, mostly the repellents are somewhat un palatable so a dog is put of by taste alone ,however as one door closes another may open. :cool:

As for exercise many short sessions can be better than occasional long ones, training or short obedience sessions could be a benefit as intelligent pups do need guidance & stimulation.
    Place a radio set to light music/chat at a comfortable volume close by but safely out of the pups reach , this may hopefully help to create a more homely atmosphere while the pups alone.

We have kept, trained & bred, retrievers & spaniels for over 30 years & my in-laws did before that, we have had kennels & pens made from various materials but weld mesh panels 8feet x 4 feet are the simplest to use be that on a timber or metal framework all joined together to make a reasonable pen , We have a puppy play pen that contains old seasoned logs, very thick natural rope that’s firmly attached etc, but puppies are just that young energetic with very inquisitive enquiring minds a oversized pen would still find some trying to escape to the big out doors LoL.

Lead work would be useful in the long term for the pup at this age its not as strong or as heavy as it will be at maturity, we can never be sure of what life lays ahead & at some point you may need others to temporarily care for the dog [holidays etc] if it can be lead trained with some other simple basic obedience every one would benefit. It can be very trying ,but little by little the results will come, training shouldn’t be a bad experience for handler or dog & hopefully it would be a rewarding bonding experience for both.

Wow, thanks so much everyone for all of the really helpful advice, it's fantastic to have such great feedback!!!

I've done obedience training with her before, but again, my fault, i don't think i stuck to it as much as i should have, so, it's knuckle back down to it now, get her trained and turned into a great little puppy!!!

Those panels look great, I think i'll work on giving her more run of our land (we have an acre, about a quarter of this is a whole field out the front, so if we could get the land fenced off properly it would be much nice for her, our neighbours and i'd feel much happier and relaxed during the day knowing she's safe and happy with more space!!!!!

I've also spoken to some neighbours about asking around to see if anyone in the area would be available for dog walking / minding during the day, unfortunately the dog crèche near me in work cannot take her any more as she has not been spayed and if we are going to do this i don't plan on doing this until after she's turned 2 years old as i have read that it is better for the dog to wait until she is this old, also, she is of a very high pedigree, we may consider breeding her later, depending on my situation at the time and if she is able for it / if i can cope with it, etc I've a lot of reading up to do on this yet, but at least i've a year and a bit to do this.

many, many thanks again for the advice :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Nellieka wrote: »
    Wow, thanks so much everyone for all of the really helpful advice, it's fantastic to have such great feedback!!!

I've done obedience training with her before, but again, my fault, i don't think i stuck to it as much as i should have, so, it's knuckle back down to it now, get her trained and turned into a great little puppy!!!

Those panels look great, I think i'll work on giving her more run of our land (we have an acre, about a quarter of this is a whole field out the front, so if we could get the land fenced off properly it would be much nice for her, our neighbours and i'd feel much happier and relaxed during the day knowing she's safe and happy with more space!!!!!

I've also spoken to some neighbours about asking around to see if anyone in the area would be available for dog walking / minding during the day, unfortunately the dog crèche near me in work cannot take her any more as she has not been spayed and if we are going to do this i don't plan on doing this until after she's turned 2 years old as i have read that it is better for the dog to wait until she is this old, also, she is of a very high pedigree, we may consider breeding her later, depending on my situation at the time and if she is able for it / if i can cope with it, etc I've a lot of reading up to do on this yet, but at least i've a year and a bit to do this.

many, many thanks again for the advice :D

Waiting until she's 2 to get her spayed will have no health benefits to her at all. You need to weigh up the risks of an unwanted pregnancy if she's getting out, and when she's in season, the local males will be able to get in. Some vets will recommend getting a bitch done before their first season, some will say wait until after her first season, but I've never heard the advice to wait until she's 2.

The Cilldara type runs are brilliant, very secure, much better than the petsafe ones you have. But they are a good bit dearer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭suziwalsh

Huge benifits to neutering before a female has had a first heat. I would highly recommend neutering he now as she is escaping and you do not want a pregnant pup, males will be able to smell her miles away :D

Here is some good information http://savets.org/spayyourdog.aspx

Advertisement