Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Please god"

Options

Comments

What's wrong with using common expressions, after all goodbye is a shortened version of "god be with you" Slán agus beanacht.

Really? I didn't know that. At least this thread ended up good for something! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭ClutchIt

Sweet mother of guy who may or may not have lived 2,010 years ago

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

What does OMG stand for OP? I'm an atheist yet I still use it from time to time and I don't really give a shit about its in depth meaning.

I tend to say OYG...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

This crap begs so many questions. Just to ask one of them - does she thinks she represents only God believing Irish people? What about the huge numbers of non-believers?
    She won an election. She has the support of the majority. Annoying lack of capital letter in spelling God in your post. No need to swear.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

kincsem wrote: »
    She won an election. She has the support of the majority. Annoying lack of capital letter in spelling God in your post. No need to swear.

Actually... the only reason why she's still the president is because no one else who was going for it at re-election time was able to get enough people to sign them up for it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Meh, it's just something people say.

I don't believe in God but I say god and jesus the whole time. It's a cultural thing, no need to get worked up about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Meh, it's just something people say.

I don't believe in God but I say god and jesus the whole time. It's a cultural thing, no need to get worked up about it.

Reminds me of a story a friend of mine who served with the Irish army in Lebanon told me before. Him and a couple of the other lads made friends with a gang of kids that use to come down to where they were stationed, played football with them and that. The kids started to pick up bits of English off them. He said that after a few months when ever the kids would hear shots fired near by or something like that they use to shout out "Jesus fukking Christ" in thick Dublin accents, from hearing the soldiers saying it so often.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭komodosp

"hopefully the economy will improve please god" or words to that effect.

This crap begs so many questions. Just to ask one of them - does she thinks she represents only god believing Irish people? What about the huge numbers of non-believers?

I thought you were going to complain about her weak showing of leadership and lack of assertiveness in "hoping" the economy would improve. Religious atheists really annoy me.

To be fair to her, her name is Mary Fitzjesus (translate her Irish name back to English)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Just watching the news on RTE and caught that annoying president person at the ploughing championships doing her impression of a salt of the earth Irish person. "hopefully the economy will improve please god" or words to that effect.

This crap begs so many questions. Just to ask one of them - does she thinks she represents only god believing Irish people? What about the huge numbers of non-believers?

I don't care if our President has private religious beliefs but spare me the sanctimoniousness please.

It means as little as the correct use of "begging the question" these days apparently

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Macros42: He held Christianity in contempt, but held to the concept of there being a god, unaffiliated to Christianity. Hence why I called Voltaire a deist.
    dvpower wrote: »
    Way to generalise there Jakkass. You never miss an opportunity, I'll give you that.

It is an assumption in the OP's post. Whether or not all non-believers hold to this thinking is another matter entirely. In fact I am highly doubtful that they do given posts here. The post I made to the OP is still valid.
    ClutchIt wrote: »
    Sweet mother of guy who may or may not have lived 2,010 years ago

Historically did.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I tend to say OYG...

Bah, more Futurama plagiarism.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

A incredibly silly thing to get worked up about. I think the rain this morning should be of more concern.

wes wrote: »
    A incredibly silly thing to get worked up about. I think the rain this morning should be of more concern.

It'll clear up soon please god!!!
    or insh'allah :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

bluewolf wrote: »
    It'll clear up soon please god!!!
    or insh'allah :D

Well here's hoping :D, God willing!

Confab wrote: »

I don't watch Futurama...

Confab wrote: »

"Down with that sort of thing!"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

The OP's point as I see it is that the Figurehead of our nation who is supposed to represent us to other nations used colloquial language in a prepared speech lamenting for the economy and hoping god will sort it out for us.

It was gross mismanagement of the countries economy that has f*cked every living irish person to the tune of tens of thousands in taxes for the rest of their lives, 'lets hope it all works itself out please be to god be the hokey pokey sure I'm only a fcukin thick' doesn't cut it for a diplomatic representative, but sure I 'spose, it was only fcukin' thicks she was addressing, please be to god.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭ToasterSparks

Wow. It's got to the point where atheists have become even more unbearable than people that have a religion or believe in God.

Guess what? Nobody cares that you have a problem with people using the word God or 'please God' or <insert religious word>. Everywhere you turn nowadays, on the internet particularly, is another preachy atheist.

You know, belief in no God is still a belief. Pushing your views of non-belief on other people is no better than Bible-pushers doing the same for their religion. Just put up with it. You don't have to believe in anything. But you do have to respect the wishes of the (I would imagine) majority of people that choose to have a religion.

You know, belief in no God is still a belief

Right, and not stamp collecting is a hobby.
    OP may be annoying but you're not helping :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Wow. It's got to the point where atheists have become even more unbearable than people that have a religion or believe in God.

Guess what? Nobody cares that you have a problem with people using the word God or 'please God' or <insert religious word>. Everywhere you turn nowadays, on the internet particularly, is another preachy atheist.

You know, belief in no God is still a belief. Pushing your views of non-belief on other people is no better than Bible-pushers doing the same for their religion. Just put up with it. You don't have to believe in anything. But you do have to respect the wishes of the (I would imagine) majority of people that choose to have a religion.

Is it as annoying as people who don't can't read a thread in their desperation to have yet another go at atheists? Using silly generalisations without actually bothering to notice or acknowledge the posts from atheists who also couldn't give a monkeys or even like such phrases?

NB Lacking belief is not a belief any more than baldness is a hairstyle - unless you are about to acknowledge your belief in the Loch Ness Monster based on the fact you don't actually believe?....and no, respecting religion or the religious purely for being religious is not a pre-requisite but it would appear that the sudden loss of unwavering reverence really gets up some theists noses. :)

*hurrumphs and makes a cup of tea*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Oh yeah?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭ToasterSparks

*holds up hands*

I just added my two cents (came across this through the Post of the Day thingie). Just ignore what I said. You win, you proved your point 100%. I am in complete agreement with you.

Sigh.

Group hug? >-O-<

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Butch Cassidy

The 2006 Census said there were a total of 3,644,965 Catholics in Ireland. The total number of believers in a god was just under 4million. Are there really that many people that consistently believe in a god? Really? Doubtful but anyways, have your say next April.

I agree in principle with the OP's gripe. Ending a sentence with "please god" is more than just a turn of phrase. The unfortunate fact of the matter is that our constitution recognises "God" - that's with a capital g, no guess which god they're talking about :rolleyes:. Our president does not just have private beliefs, she holds public beliefs too for she attends social outings such as funerals in official capacity and does the whole routine - praying for forgiveness, eating the body of christ etc.

Each day our elected representatives in Dail Eireann say a prayer and bless themselves before the order of business.

^^ Surely our president is entitled to have whatever beliefs that she wants.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,072 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Not long to go before we start wishing each other a Happy Shopmas again.

Jakkass wrote: »
    ^^ Surely our president is entitled to have whatever beliefs that she wants.

Really? Even belief in white supremacy or that the age of consent is 5 yrs too high? Or perhaps vocally supportive of abortion at official functions?

Really? Even belief in white supremacy or that the age of consent is 5 yrs too high? Or perhaps vocally supportive of abortion at official functions?

Such beliefs in the mainstream might hinder how people vote for you certainly.

Personally I strain to see how this would be true of the president and what particular religion she happens to adhere to. Unless one's atheism is really that delicate that they think that they should oppose every theist in election for that reason alone.

Personally I strain to see how this would be true of the president .

Nobody said it was true of the president. She just pointed out how absurd "she can have any belief she wants" sounds with examples of where that assertion might fall down

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Unless one's atheism is really that delicate that they think that they should oppose every theist in election for that reason alone.

Hopefully not here, but in the US it appears to work the other way around.
    Now, one in 10 say they wouldn't vote for a woman or Hispanic, and just one in 20 say they wouldn't vote for a black, Jew or Catholic. There is more opposition to voting for a 72-year-old (40% rule that out), a gay person (42%) or an atheist (48%).

Advertisement