Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Please god"

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Carlos_Ray

Just watching the news on RTE and caught that annoying president person at the ploughing championships doing her impression of a salt of the earth Irish person. "hopefully the economy will improve please god" or words to that effect.

This crap begs so many questions. Just to ask one of them - does she thinks she represents only god believing Irish people? What about the huge numbers of non-believers?

I don't care if our President has private religious beliefs but spare me the sanctimoniousness please.

Good thing OP doesn't live in Britain or she'd be subjected to "God save the Queen" on a regular basis. Or " God bless America" if in the USA.

Some people have too much time on their hands if they can complain about stupid things like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Jakkass wrote: »
    Such beliefs in the mainstream might hinder how people vote for you certainly.

Personally I strain to see how this would be true of the president and what particular religion she happens to adhere to. Unless one's atheism is really that delicate that they think that they should oppose every theist in election for that reason alone.

For what it's worth I agree that her religion should be her own and although the entwining of state politics and religion is something that should be scrapped, pronto, what each politicians' personal beliefs are should largely be their own. I'm sure anything too outrageous (corruption aside) would render them unelectable anyway - certainly irish politicians anyway.

I'm not convinced that those suggesting her beliefs are her own to shout whenever she wants would be quite so vociferous in their approval if her beliefs didn't marry with their own. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

I'm not convinced that those suggesting her beliefs are her own to shout whenever she wants would be quite so vociferous in their approval if her beliefs didn't marry with their own. :)

I'd pretty much defend her right to believe whatever she liked if she were any other faith either, and her right to opt-out.

I've done this numerous times on this forum and others, I don't see why I wouldn't do it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

It's a very irish saying. I don't see a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Wow. It's got to the point where atheists have become even more unbearable than people that have a religion or believe in God.
    Please don't tar us all with the same brush. As you can see most people don't agree with the moronic sentiment expressed in the OP. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Jakkass wrote: »
    Macros42: He held Christianity in contempt, but held to the concept of there being a god, unaffiliated to Christianity. Hence why I called Voltaire a deist.

I was agreeing with you dude :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Wow. It's got to the point where atheists have become even more unbearable than people that have a religion or believe in God.

That's just as ridiculous a statement as saying that all christians are asshats. One guy bitched about something stupid - that doesn't mean that the rest of us are unbearable. I personally wear my atheism on my sleeve (see my sig) but couldn't care less what religion anyone has or how they choose to express it - as long as they don't try to convert me and a number of christian people have tried - even my own parents have threatened to baptise my children. But I don't paint all christians with the same brush based on that minority.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭AskMyChocolate

Is it as annoying as people who don't can't read a thread in their desperation to have yet another go at atheists? Using silly generalisations without actually bothering to notice or acknowledge the posts from atheists who also couldn't give a monkeys or even like such phrases?

NB Lacking belief is not a belief any more than baldness is a hairstyle - unless you are about to acknowledge your belief in the Loch Ness Monster based on the fact you don't actually believe?....and no, respecting religion or the religious purely for being religious is not a pre-requisite but it would appear that the sudden loss of unwavering reverence really gets up some theists noses. :)

*hurrumphs and makes a cup of tea*

Theism and atheism are ideaoligigies that have been hi-jacked by the greedy to serve their own ends for many years. It is the job of the strong (leaders) to either accept their obligation to the weak (pack) or to admit that they believe these people are only there to provide for their privilege. Equating the hierarchy of the Catholic church with Catholicism is like equating Chairman Mao with communism. It's untrue, but who cares, once we get to live our privileged lies. I would refer you to the bible or to "Braveheart" but I have no doubt you would snigger at me anyway. And when you have finally been beaten out of your position, I would imagine you would nail me to a cross or shoot me in a chair. And yet, Jesus Christ and James Connolly are still important to a lot of people who are neither religious nor atheistic, just simply moral. But maybe that doesn't fit with who you think you are fighting.

Looking after the vulnerable Ftw.:)

Chocolate.

Btw, did you like my spelling of ideaologgoggy? No edit required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

I believe the usual response to such postings is...

Chocolate? Are you drunk?

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Blackjack

What I believe is better and cleverer than all of ye and I don't give a fuck if ye disagree, or come up with some really clever arguments that blow mine out of the water.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

A lot of people seem to find religion during sex as well.

"Oh God, oh God".:cool:

Advertisement