Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bentley = Flop/Disgrace

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 LeGinWasGod

Hatch99 wrote: »
    He'd work harder and put in more effort.

You say that like its a given, like its a fact. There's no way you could know that though. I could just as easily say, Jenas would have had a stinker out on the right wing.

Bentley's position is right midfield, he is more than adequate to replace Lennon when he is out injured, or even when he's not on form.
    yiddo59 wrote: »
    I'd play Jenas there. Not that he's all that but he'd be better than Bentley. In fairness Bentley wasn't bad back end of last season though I do think it's a bit of leap to credit his displays with our finishing 4th;) .

We should have jogged him on when his stock was "high" last summer.

I didn't credit him with anything, all I said was he came in and did well, and was an integral part to us finishing 4th, as were a lot of other players who came in and did a job for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭RichMc70

Although I agree with a lot of the posts, however I see it as such:-
    • He stood out as the star player when he was at Blackburn but, with all due respect to Blackburn, they weren't a team blessed with many flair players at the time.
    • In fairness, he did put in a few good performances in the latter part of last season but with a fit Lennon, I can't see Bentley being anything more than a squad player.
    • Wenger let him go from Arsenal. How many top class players have been released from Arsenal and gone on to prove them wrong. Can't think of any.
    • There's no harm in discussing it on forums like here, but I hope the fans at the games don't start getting on his back or any of the players for that matter, as what little confidence they have would surely be washed away and that can only be bad for the team and moral.
    • Although the transfer fee for Bentley was 'undisclosed' newspapers reported at the time suggested that it was in the region of £12m plus add on's depending appearances/success etc. I think if we were to sell in January, we'd be lucky to recoup £4m.
    It's a hard one to call because I think he does have something in him but whether or not it's good enough for us I'm not sure. On rare occasions he shows moments of brilliance....but rare being the prime word.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭yiddo59

I didn't credit him with anything, all I said was he came in and did well, and was an integral part to us finishing 4th, as were a lot of other players who came in and did a job for us.

Intergal? Yeah I suppose Bentley throwing that bucket of water over Arry was one the hightlights of the season alright :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

jenas most certainly would have done well at RM instead of bently. better work rate, better on the ball, more pace and most importantly of all he wouldnt take shots from 40 yds out and try to hit the back of the stand

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭thudd

Fair enough, he's been a very expensive flop. Although when he came in for a bit last season i felt he did ok. Also, he has the greatest chant ever (Not sure if its sung in the stands that much though!):

He scored that goal against the scum, na na, na na
    From 40 yards he beat Almunia, na na
    Ever since he was a kid,
    He always knew he was a yid,
    Its David Bentley, Tottenhams number 5!

Lol

• Advertisement

yiddo59 wrote: »
    Intergal? Yeah I suppose Bentley throwing that bucket of water over Arry was one the hightlights of the season alright :D

Well he was pretty crucial for us when Lennon was out injured at the back end of the season wouldn't you say?

In the last three months, he played in the win against Wigan(A), Portsmouth(H), the Arse(H), the win against Chelsea(H), the win against Bolton(H), so that's a pretty important role. He also played a big part in our run to the semi-final of the FA Cup. And I remember him playing very well throughout.
    mickman wrote: »
    jenas most certainly would have done well at RM instead of bently. better work rate, better on the ball, more pace and most importantly of all he wouldnt take shots from 40 yds out and try to hit the back of the stand

Once again, you can't say something like that and post it as a matter of fact. I could just as easily say I most certainly would have done well at RM.

When has Jenas ever shown in his Spurs career that he would do well at RM? He is a box-to-box CM, not a RM.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,057 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

As a blackburn fan I know the lad has quality, he had it at Blackburn because he was well managed, he comes across to me like a lad who needs constant attention and very good man management - and as a previous poster said he was a star in the Blackburn team.
    That is not the way it is at Spurs and Harry doesn't strike me as the type that is that good at man management.
    If Hughes could get him at Fulham I'd say he would, but I'd imagine he is on huge wages.

That is not the way it is at Spurs and Harry doesn't strike me as the type that is that good at man management.

Lol. Oh dear.

Harry is known as one of the best man managers in the Premier League, if not, the best. Look at how he turned around so many of our players form in the first season in charge. Everyone knows Harry is one of the best at man management.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

and was an integral part to us finishing 4th,

Ah will ye give it over..

Bentley integral to us finishing 4th....,

What a laugh

• Advertisement

Ah will ye give it over..

Great argument there. No come back to that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭yiddo59

Great chance for him to prove himself Saturday if he gets a run out against Blackburn.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,057 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Lol. Oh dear.

Harry is known as one of the best man managers in the Premier League, if not, the best. Look at how he turned around so many of our players form in the first season in charge. Everyone knows Harry is one of the best at man management.

Yeah I suppose you could see it that way, but as many as you can say he improved,he also gave up on a good amount of players. He always struck me as someone with little patience. Laugh away though.

Great argument there. No come back to that one.

:rolleyes:

I dont appear to be the only one who found your comments laughable about Bentely playing an integral part of us finishing 4th, I'll let you read in to that one what you want...

Gone out on loan again, pity he'll probably be back next summer...:mad:

Gone out on loan again, pity he'll probably be back next summer...:mad:

yeah but every year is a year less on his contract so we can let him go for nothing then.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭Glebee

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Shame he can't kick a ball into the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

Rebirth under AVB? Considering the amount of money spent on him I'd like to see him given another chance.... Gio too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,734 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Rebirth under AVB? Considering the amount of money spent on him I'd like to see him given another chance.... Gio too!

I never want to see Bentley in a Spurs jersey again.

Gio could have a role to play if AVB can get him focused. We need some options on either wing so he could have a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

a talented waster

• Registered Users Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Agree with Gio being given another chance perhaps, but Bentley is beyond saving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Do we give him one more chance to prove himself with AVB?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Typical player who only plays a great season in the last year of a contract.
    Then the next sucker of a manager shows up and signs him on ridiculous wages with 3 years of hibernation to follow.

I won't be happy until he's permanently gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Like the thread title says, he's a floppy disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

I hope he plays brilliant out in Russia,they just might give us a couple of mil for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Advertisement