Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bank transfer or Western Union?

Options
  • 21-09-2010 10:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

I've recently moved to Scotland and need to transfer about 1000 euro from my BOI account into my new RBS account.

As I can't seem to find a simple answer to this online myself, does anyone know if I'd be better off (considering I want to be charged the least amount possible) transferring the money :

1. from my BOI account to RBS with an "international transfer"
    2. withdrawing my money from BOI from an atm here and lodging it
    3. using Western Union from Ireland to UK
    I really appreciate any help with this as I am now, once again, a poor student! (My Irish accounts aren't set up as Student accounts because I don't have access to a FAX machine to fax them my university letters and they won't accept a scanned email...ridiculous!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

SEPA is your best option. Its the cheapest too. Not sure if you need to be in Ireland to send it or if BoI will accept the form through the post. Give them a call and see. Is there someone in Ireland that could send it from Ireland to you?

If your going to use a ATM it would be best to take out as much as you can. It will cost more than the first option but if your over there and have no other option its probably the second cheapest.

Would not bother with western union, its way to expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

With AIB you can do a "Non Urgent Transfer" online which is free - you need your new accounts IBAN and BIC. Or an Urgent Transfer which has a, iirc, €12.70 charge. I assume BOI has something similar?

Avoid Western Union.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭sarahlulu

If you are registered for Banking 365 Online, you can transfer the money electronically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

sarahlulu wrote: »
    If you are registered for Banking 365 Online, you can transfer the money electronically.

Probably the easiest way to do it. You'll need the Swift address and IBAN for your Scottish bank account. It will probably be a requirement to await a confirmation letter from the bank, to confirm the addition of the new recipient, before you can actually complete the process. This will probably take a few days to receive.

Advertisement