Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garmin acquires Metrigear!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

That'll speed things up then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

very, very interesting... power for the masses potentially :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

This is likely to be speed play pedal based right?

Bet look/polar are regretting not going ANT+ in a properly big way now. Will be very curious to see what price the system is when it comes to market (and if they make the edge 500 compatable!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Murph100

Wicked !! It will be very interesting who hits the market first and also how it will affect Look / Polar pricing.

Wonder what pedal system they'll use ? ( Please let it be Time )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Don't know what you lot are so excited about.
    Sure Garmin will get this to mkt, however it will overestimate power output, won't work in the rain and will sometimes just turn itself off on a ride, before restarting 5mins later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

ROK ON wrote: »
    Sure Garmin will get this to mkt, however it will overestimate power output, won't work in the rain and will sometimes just turn itself off on a ride, before restarting 5mins later.

i dunno ROK ON, i've had as many issues with the 705 as anyone, and i'd still rate it as one of the most reliable pieces of technology i have.Wouldn't be putting down any product because of garmin's involvement...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Exactly. May as well stick a random number generator on the bars.

They don't get HR and I doubt that they will get power.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Customer support told me to only wear cotton t-shirts, to put the HR strap on my back and smear it with honey. (I jest not) Then I should be okay to get my Garmin and HR working. What the fvck kind of ritual they will have for power???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

tunney wrote: »
    Customer support told me to only wear cotton t-shirts, to put the HR strap on my back and smear it with honey. (I jest not) Then I should be okay to get my Garmin and HR working. What the fvck kind of ritual they will have for power???

If that was last monday I wouldn't pay much heed - they were probably suffering from 'a confluence of events' following a shindig in Galway with Biffo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Garmin are first and foremost a satnav company.
    Garmin wrote:
    In touch with the world

We design our products with the customer in mind. Sidestepping the stress of navigation or travel begins with easy-to-use menus, logical options and intuitive features.

* Automotive products help drivers reach their destination effortlessly while getting the most out of the journey
    * Marine units supplement detailed charts with essential data
    * Aviation technology provides everything pilots need at a glance
    * Fitness devices make every step of the workout more efficient.
    * Outdoor recreation options are available for hikers, campers and geocachers
    * Wireless applications bring the power of GPS to your smart phone

Whether in their rental car or at a retail store, first-time Garmin users quickly realize the wealth of information that can be packed into a compact, portable unit.

(my emphasis, in case you miss the buried reference to sport)

It's hardly surprising that they are not the world's authority on exercise physiology.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Apologies. My rather jaded attempt at sarcasm seems to have opened a can of worms.

Oh well.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

i dunno ROK ON, i've had as many issues with the 705 as anyone, and i'd still rate it as one of the most reliable pieces of technology i have.Wouldn't be putting down any product because of garmin's involvement...

I'm with ROK_ON. The more simple a piece of technology is, the more reliable I expect it to be. Bike computers are quite simple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭alfalad

My Polar CS200 doesn't read my heart rate every now and again, no reason for it but no amount of adjustment on the bike will fix it. So it's not like they are perfect all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Gophur

TomTom are to launch a range of portable GPS devices in the Spring of 2011.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

el tonto wrote: »
    Bike computers are quite simple.

Bike computers were quite simple

Add in GPS, routing, mapping etc and you are looking at a pretty substantial piece of engineering on you handlebars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭billy.fish

Interesting to see what they are going to do about sampling issues. Until then...just use a Joule

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

el tonto wrote: »
    I'm with ROK_ON. The more simple a piece of technology is, the more reliable I expect it to be. Bike computers are quite simple.

The aim may simple, the means to obtain it may not. Software is tricky business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

Gophur wrote: »
    TomTom are to launch a range of portable GPS devices in the Spring of 2011.

There's not much point in a GPS device that isn't portable. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

There's not much point in a GPS device that isn't portable. ;)
    Think Sync!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synchronization_in_telecommunications

Advertisement