Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cancel rent agreement

Options
  • 21-09-2010 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Wondering what to do?
    Son offered place in DCU - so he signed up to a house share in Dublin.
    Paid deposit and first months rent - due to start there yesterday.
    Then on Sat morning he got 3rd round offer for place in UCC - much better course so he has now started in cork.
    But as he had signed up with 3 other lads for this house in Dublin I just don't know what to do! He never even stayed a night there but the Landlord says he has to pay or get someone to take his place.
    So far we haven't been able to find anyone -we are in Waterford so its difficult.
    Anyone know what the law is?
    Do I have to find a tenant?
    Do I have to continue to pay rent, even tho he's never lived there?
    Really cannot afford to pay rent in Cork and DUblin - must be other people in this situation - crazy having to wait till mid Sept. for offers from College, what are people to do???

Any help much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Did you/he sign a lease? If so, what does it say?

He probably will need to find someone else to take his place or be stuck paying; he should talk to his ex-housemates, they may be able to find someone in college to take over the room, and might appreciate being able to help in the search for a new tenant, and thus not be stuck with a random someone they do not like.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭waterford_21

We have tried lots of places - like the colleges and this forum as well as others, so hopefully we might find someone!
    However, I read somewhere that if the tenancy is less than one month (my son never even stayed inthe flat) then you are not bound to the agreement adn can terminate! Just can't find out the full details - anyone know about this???
    maybe I should try the legal forum - heading over there now.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭ulinbac

Try the Students Union in DCU, many students will be getting 3rd place offers and looking for places. He will have to let DCU he is not going though if he has already registered for modules.

Regarding rent, from personal experience, you will probably only lose the deposit. Sounds like scare tactics from the landlord. Friend left their apartment a few weeks ago with 9months left on the contract and just lost the deposit!

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭waterford_21

That's a good idea about trying the Students Union - will do that.

Advertisement