Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Website Where Shooters \ Hunters Can Buy And Sell Equipment ?

Options
  • 21-09-2010 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭

Lads, Considering the bull thats happening at the moment with certain websites no longer advertising hunting \ shooting related items for sale or wanted, do ye reckon a dedicated website for selling second hand hunting - shooting equipment would work or is Ireland too small ?
    Your thoughts ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Hondata92

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Sparks wrote: »

Could the forsale section be improved?

An advert disappears so quick if a few are posted in the one day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

Hondata92 wrote: »

The navigation of the site is beyond useless, would certainly put me off of it

Could the forsale section be improved?
    An advert disappears so quick if a few are posted in the one day
    Click on "User CP" up above, then click on "Edit Options" in the left hand menu, and scroll down to find this:
    attachment.php?attachmentid=128481&stc=1&d=1285116134

Stuff won't scroll off the page so fast if your page is longer...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

vixdname wrote: »
    Lads, Considering the bull thats happening at the moment with certain websites no longer advertising hunting \ shooting related items for sale or wanted, do ye reckon a dedicated website for selling second hand hunting - shooting equipment would work or is Ireland too small ?
    Your thoughts ?
    was thinking the same thing yesterday and started looking into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

was thinking the same thing yesterday and started looking into it.
    With a dedicated site, you're only really going to have a market consisting of those who are interested enough to look for it. You won't get (for want of a better word) a passing trade that other more general sites will get.

Look at the number of ads on guntrader.ie and compare it with the number on donedeal.ie and you get an idea of what I'm talking about. Chances are that anytime you've gone onto one of those sites looking for a particular item, you've ended up looking at a lot of other items that caught your attention.

rrpc wrote: »
    With a dedicated site, you're only really going to have a market consisting of those who are interested enough to look for it. You won't get (for want of a better word) a passing trade that other more general sites will get.

Look at the number of ads on guntrader.ie and compare it with the number on donedeal.ie and you get an idea of what I'm talking about. Chances are that anytime you've gone onto one of those sites looking for a particular item, you've ended up looking at a lot of other items that caught your attention.
    thats the exact trail of thought i was having

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭smokin ace

vixdname wrote: »
    Your thoughts ?

i think that would not be a bad idea at all maybe something along the lines of this http://www.thehuntinglife.com/forums/ but an irish version and charge a few quid for to place an add for the upkeep of the site

Okay, seriously. Do people not know we have one of these right here already and that it's been posting an ad or two (and five or six posts about those ads) every day for the past three years?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭smokin ace

Okay, seriously. Do people not know we have one of these right here already and that it's been posting an ad or two (and five or six posts about those ads) every day for the past three years?

most of the stuff for sale is gun related and me being both a shooting and lurcher man myself but i have noticed there is very little for the lurcher man but would a lad be allowed to sell a lurcher/whippet on here and would he get enough interest off prospective buyers here for to sell the dog

Yes, and yes. We have specific permission from boards.ie to sell working animals (dogs and ferrets specifically). The whole thing of selling eggs/pullets is a bit more hairy because of the Wildlife Acts but we've coped so far.

Yes, and yes. We have specific permission from boards.ie to sell working animals (dogs and ferrets specifically). The whole thing of selling eggs/pullets is a bit more hairy because of the Wildlife Acts but we've coped so far.

Could the for sale section be expanded then? a for sale target/hunting & General shooting.

Then relevant adverts would stay up longer for the "target audience" pardon the pun :D

That's heading towards a bit of a mess to be honest Tack. Traffic's high, but not high enough to trifurcate a sub-forum just yet.

That's heading towards a bit of a mess to be honest Tack. Traffic's high, but not high enough to trifurcate a sub-forum just yet.

Well if it got more sales, then more would use it. Ends justify the means?

To a software/webdesign guru that would be easy peasy.
    You must have noticed hunters are the biggest sector, so Target adverts disapear quickly.
    If teh For sale for target was seperate target adverts would stay current longer.

I see it as an opening to expand.
    FREE adverts that get to TARGET Market will result in boards.ie getting more views and more money from sponsorship

just my 2 cents

Maybe so tack, but that's not the point, at least not for the forum (and to be honest, boards.ie ltd isn't exactly a bunch of cutthroat mercenaries, even if they do occasionally do the whole speak-like-a-pirate thing).

The point of the for sale forum here is to give people a place to put their ads. Not to make money. Boards doesn't make any off the sales in there. I don't know what they make from the adverts on the site as a whole, but it's not our job to maximise that. The shooting forum (and the sub-forums) is/are run for the community, not for profit.

If and when the traffic goes up enough that the current structure can't cope, we'll change the structure; but it'll be done as we need it rather than to try to generate the need, if that makes any sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Click on "User CP" up above, then click on "Edit Options" in the left hand menu, and scroll down to find this:
    attachment.php?attachmentid=128481&stc=1&d=1285116134

Stuff won't scroll off the page so fast if your page is longer...
    That only works for posts per thread, there's no setting for threads per page. Though you can increase the number of threads shown by up to a year I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

Is the reason that buyandsell dont advertise firearms etc, is because of a shotgun deal gone wrong, to cut a long story short?? Just what a dealer told me.

He's probably referring to Donal Dunne's murder and he's wrong. The reason is just that sites like that think they can't make enough money from firearms ads to be worth the risk of being charged with abetting an illegal sale of a firearm - they haven't the inhouse expertise to know what's legal and what's not legal in selling firearms, as that donedeal.ie ad mentioned on another thread demonstrated.

the for sale section here is grand for us who use boards everyday but when you start using boards it can be a bit tricky to navigate around. If the for sale section was more userfriendly(to the new person coming to buy or sell)and maybe in a different format i think it could possably work but untill then i think its a non runner for people other than all of us

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Adverts.ie grew out of a bunch of "For Sale" forums years ago for that reason. A forum really isn't suitable for use as a classified ads system so they were split out and spun off into a different site.

The only reason the Shooting For Sale/Wanted forum exists is because Adverts.ie prohibits the sale of firearms.

Adverts.ie is nearing the end of a very long overhaul. After the new version is launched, perhaps it might be possible to move The For Sale/Wanted forum over there. The people running Adverts are up to their eyeballs at the moment, but after the launch I'll talk to them about what the options are.

Advertisement