Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading oldish PC

Options
  • 21-09-2010 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭

ok, so today i found out from the repairman that my laptop i had sent to get fixed, cannot be fixed (water damage :mad:)

i really need something to do video editing on, and cant afford to buy a neew laptop, so i want to upgrade the family desktop, its a fairly basic machine, Acer M1610 1GB RAM, 1.6ghz dual core, running on vista premium with no dedicated video/graphics card ( Sis mirage 3 integrated graphics :rolleyes:)

so im really looking for advice on what to do, im thinking of upgrading the RAM t0 3GB first off anyways, but where to form that? the main thing i need it for is video editing and to run SolidWorks. So im guessing getting a proper graphics card? i need something thats fairly cheapish, cant afford no high end one unfortunately, so reccommendations for that please:confused:

and finally im pretty sure theres no point in getting a new processor is there? might as well buy a new lappy if im to do that?

thanks and any help at all appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

You'd be best off building a new one in *almost* any case, what's your budget?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

New desktop - €400-700.
    New laptop - €500-€1500.

Looks like a fairly simple choice... :o

Advertisement