Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Key Broken in Bike Lock

• 21-09-2010 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭

So I went to get my bike after work and the key broke off in the lock, which was a pain. Half the key is still on my key-ring and the other half is stuck in the lock. Not sure what type of lock it is, it's quite old and nothing too serious. A bit like the first one pictured here http://hubpages.com/hub/Buy-a-Bicycle-Lock-Online-Kryptonite-U-locks (it's not a Kryptonite)

So any bright ideas as to what to do: befriend a bike thief, buy some bolt cutters, ask the guards etc.. The bike should be ok where it is for a few days (off-street car/bike park in town) and I can always put another lock on it, a U one I have at home.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

It's a cable lock yeah? I'd just cut it off. Them locks are cheap & offer crap protection anyway so no loss really!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

Do you have a spare key?, if you do and simply want to remove the broken piece in the lock then put a tiny amount of superglue on the edge of the half key in your possession and put it in the lock where it should meet up with the piece of key in the lock, give it a few seconds to bond and the complete key should pull out together, it worked for me when my key was broken in the car ignition.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Borrow a bolt cutter if it's a cable lock. Shocking easy.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

The first picture in the link has a load of U-locks on the bicycle.

Anyway, just like U-locks, the strength of cable locks differs. Not all can be easily broken with a bolt cutters. Although admittedly most can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭happytramp

Bear in mind it's hard not to look suspicious when hanging around a bike rack with a bolt cutters.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Old Perry

not sure how similar lock is but a magnet migt be some help, have seen it work on the seat lock on motorbikes, the glue would be a good idea also.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 conradk

The fire brigade will cut the lock off your bike for you.
    (I had them cut off a Kryptonite lock for me a month or two ago..)

You'll have to arrange for a Garda to be there though

First call the local fire station and tell them you have a Garda standing by (in my case they wouldn't leave the station until I assured them the Gard was there), then call the local Garda station and tell them the fire brigade are there (i.e. lie to them both), hopefully they'll both arrive at the same time and the lock will be off your bike in seconds....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Fire Brigade will probably charge you for this...

• Registered Users Posts: 38 conradk

there was no charge when they did it for me.... nice guys too..

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭part time punk

Thanks for the replies but wasn't able to check boards yesterday. No joy with getting a pair bolt-cutters, and locksmiths were going to charge €40 to cut it! Anyway I borrowed a hacksaw and cut through it. Tough going though, even for a chain lock. Took about 20 mins and very sweaty work! But I have my bike back and on the look out for a new lock. Cheers

• Advertisement
Advertisement