Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC 'Power Levels' - want to compare with someone else

• 21-09-2010 10:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭

Hey all,
    I've just received a modem/phone pack from UPC as I'm upgrading to their broadband service, but it ain't workin.
    I've connect it all up as described and left it for 10min with both of the below setup and it doesn't bring up a connection.

Some power levels which I wanna compare with someone else on the same UPC cable broadband service are;

Connected up with the given splitter:
    Receive Power Level 23.1 dBmV
    Transmit Power Level 8.3 dBmV
    Signal to Noise Ratio 21.1 dB

Connected directly to wall box with no STB connected:
    Receive Power Level 28.1 dBmV
    Transmit Power Level 8.3 dBmV
    Signal to Noise Ratio 23.1 dB

Note, I've only one UPC connection in the house which is the one I'm connecting to directly with the given cables/connections from UPC.

Will be calling UPC tomorrow but would be nice to be able to go armed with info/data from others :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 291 ✭✭KennyLegend

They would need to provision your modem once its connected I'd imagine .
    Give them a call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

They would need to provision your modem once its connected I'd imagine .
    Give them a call.

Nothing about that in the manuals - just states, connect it up and wait 5min.
    Will be calling them tomorrow but just wanted to ensure the signal levels weren't funky

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    Nothing about that in the manuals - just states, connect it up and wait 5min.
    Will be calling them tomorrow but just wanted to ensure the signal levels weren't funky

Those power levels look pretty ok from what I can remember mine was measured at. Your splitter is doing it's job too.
    Your account might not be activated yet. Call them is your best bet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

The levels are a problem, incoming signal is very high. The transmit levels are low because the modem hasn't setup the reverse path,plus the SNR is low. Have you an internal amplifier on the line ?. How's the analogue pictures look?

DingDong wrote: »
    The levels are a problem, incoming signal is very high. The transmit levels are low because the modem hasn't setup the reverse path,plus the SNR is low. Have you an internal amplifier on the line ?. How's the analogue pictures look?

No amplifier, just the wall socket unit which has the large FM/TV-data splitter with a cap on the FM output. Believe it acts as an isolator from the UPC network in my estate.
    Don't believe we have an analogue service in the area, it used to be an estate running on one MMDS antenna.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Cable works over a very range of power. Leave the splitter in. The receive level is high. It "looks" about 12dB too high

ring them.

watty wrote: »
    Cable works over a very range of power. Leave the splitter in. The receive level is high. It "looks" about 12dB too high

ring them.

Cool - will call'em tomorrow and await what they say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

Here's mine for what it's worth...

Receive Power Level 3.4 dBmV
    Transmit Power Level 46.0 dBmV

My own Tx power level seems exceptionally high compared to the Rx but all is fine speed and stability wise so I dunno :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

I have Rx of -4.1 and Tx of 40.4dBmV. I get full 30/3 Mb all day, and analogue channel quality is quite good. Estate was recently upgraded.

Turns out, until my cable modem actually locks onto the correct frequency for the broadband service the power levels mean nothing.
    Eng dude coming on Friday morning, turns out all those UPC engineers I've seen open manholes in the near by streets is due to general signal issues in the area.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭vandammaged

Here is the Self Install number they will talk you threw it. 1800 941 990

Here is the Self Install number they will talk you threw it. 1800 941 990

Self install helpline folks can do nothing if there is a problem with the signal - engineer booked for tomorrow to address the incoming signal issues

I hope this isn't the start of a terrible relationship (again) with myself and UPC...

Friday morning came, I took half a day off work and waited. Didn't leave the house.
    The morning hours passed, 1 o'clock came around - no engineer nor a phone call to say he was delayed.
    Called up their self-install helpdesk to ask what the jazz was. The dude on the phone (as helpful as he could be) attempted to call the engineer but couldn't get him. He called me back after 2 to say he has raised this with a manager (unsure which one) and he will keep trying to get in contact with the engineer.
    I came home from work later that night after leaving at 1 to find a 'Our representative called today' card marked 4:50pm (!!!).
    So UPC now owe me a half days pay which I expect to get back as few free months service and Monday I call again to get another engineer booked to arrive as their first job.

Please UPC, don't let a once broken relationship be broken again!

UPC contract out all their installation work so I would think it's the contract company you need to take this up with.

UPC contract out all their installation work so I would think it's the contract company you need to take this up with.

Nop, I have an agreement with UPC - its them who I will deal with in terms of compensation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

you would be wrong.

972653422.png

Wow for now ;)

972655962.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Mr Magners

972653422.png

Wow for now ;)

972655962.png

Wow is right.

972653422.png

Wow for now ;)

972655962.png

Nice one!

How did u get on with ur compensation?

Nice one!

How did u get on with ur compensation?

Getting credit on my account for the BB package, sorted.

Turned out that in my estate which was once just a MMDS antenna system, they had a MMDS circuit and a true cable circuit.
    They turned the true cable circuit on but only moved over customers once they updated to the likes of HD or cable broadband. The moved me over to the other cable circuit and did another bit of work and within an hour or so I have broadband up and running.

Annoying that it took this long and a lot of phone calls but all working now - lets hope that it stays that way after a good bit of rain :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement